Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a blinder somewhere in Laughton, Essex. It was a mish mash of only way is essex meets eastenders with a bit of shameless thrown in. Spent the night sinking the drinks, dancing and bouncing around, occasionally hitting the right notes, but most importantly focusing on the bird in the skimpy white dress whose behind i was making grind up n down :D

Rich

Tonight's gig was short. In fact I got in half an hour ago.

Local club, usually busy but there was a wedding on and other such stuff so there wasn't a soul there.

We ended up getting paid off. The guy wanted to pay us the full amount but we would've felt guilty, plus they want us back again so we still got a decent amount for setting up the gear, playing a couple of songs for sound check then stripping back down again.

So its red wine for me tonight :D

Cheers, or as they say in Spain, Cheers.

Coach & Horses, Manchester Road, Linthwaite. Cramped into a corner, Dale Winton on widescreen plasma, not many punters but a friendly crowd.
Opening song starts with me playing the riff from the second song.
Singer forgets to turn his mic on.
Second song starts with guitarist playing the opening riff from the wrong song.
Halfway through my amp head vibrates itself off the cab and lands on my pedal board, amazingly no damage but a bent jack plug.
Third song guitarist breaks a string halfway through.
Fourth song the stand in drummer starts playing the beat from the next song.
Guitarist mends string but at solo the string jumps off the saddle notch and detunes itself 3 tones. His face was a picture as he tried to work out why it was out of tune when he was playing the right frets.
At the end of the gig everyone was bouncing up and down, I don't think anyone noticed the shambles and all had a great night :)

Just got back from the Royal Stag in Hemel Hempstead.
Small crowd as one of the regulars was getting married and so all the usual punters were on the other side of town but we were still well received and the people that were there were nice and loud.
Sank a few bevvies and had a great night, we sounded good and got two more gigs and a potential wedding out of it so a good night all in all.
MacDonalds on the way home and a nice glass of bourbon and I'm nearly ready to get to bed.

Truckstop

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1333843093' post='1607368']
Coach & Horses, Manchester Road, Linthwaite. Cramped into a corner, Dale Winton on widescreen plasma, not many punters but a friendly crowd.
Opening song starts with me playing the riff from the second song.
Singer forgets to turn his mic on.
Second song starts with guitarist playing the opening riff from the wrong song.
Halfway through my amp head vibrates itself off the cab and lands on my pedal board, amazingly no damage but a bent jack plug.
Third song guitarist breaks a string halfway through.
Fourth song the stand in drummer starts playing the beat from the next song.
Guitarist mends string but at solo the string jumps off the saddle notch and detunes itself 3 tones. His face was a picture as he tried to work out why it was out of tune when he was playing the right frets.

[/quote]

Now that's what I call Jazz ;)

Amazing night at Etang Vallier (small resort in France) The place was packed with French,English,Dutch and Belgians and from the first note the dance floor was full.
Was a bit like the Twilight zone when we fired into 'Take it easy' the whole place stopped and then as if rehearsed they all started line dancing...weird but really great fun.
Nights like this are why I love playing live.

The King Billy in Northampton - rough n ready biker pub which puts on lots of bands (3-4gigs a week). We used a dep drummer as our current guy has made himself unavailable for a few months after the arrival of a new baby. Stand in drummer is a friend of the band and is A-MAY-ZING. Gig went really well especially considering we've only had a few hours with the dep. Dep really enjoyed it and has asked if I'm interested in joining him for an 80's big hair rock project involving wigs, costumes, makeup etc. Oh yes please!!!!

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1333879937' post='1607612']
...Dep really enjoyed it and has asked if I'm interested in joining him for an 80's big hair rock project involving wigs, costumes, makeup etc. Oh yes please!!!!
[/quote]

Sounds like you're halfway there!

...I'll get me Spandex jump suit. :unsure:

Had a stonking gig at The Fleece in Bristol supporting The Wurzels. The night was sold out, the crowd were amazing and the sound was fantastic. We sold a shedload of T shirts and CDs and made a lot of friends. I'm currently nursing a massive hangover.....

Played an awesome gig in Berlins best venue, Supamolli - small but
the starting place for so many theatrical bands (anyone remember
Tiger Lillies). Had a short term notice request from the Rude Mechanicals
and the whole thing came together at extremely short notice. Then
it turned out that the RM rhythmsection would not come - I found a
drummer friend, who also organised the support group at short
notice, to take the drum part and I did bass. Arrive the Rudes -
one rehearsal only - We scribble down tempos, beats, scales and
roots - I learn it - next day, the gig. Expectations were: unknown
UK band, short term notice, Easter Weekend - not expecting
anyone but 20 people to come. The night: AWESOME!!!! The
venue SOLD OUT! Eyes and ears, full attention, lots of action,
dancing, unbelievable madness happening, nailed every song,
did some amazing impro parts, encore, party until 8 in the
morning with about 180 people, of which 120 paying guests.
Worth noting, we sold out CDs, LPs and merch. Sound and
light was great, really liked the curtain between acts. We
were stars.

I'm HAPPY!

[url="http://rudemechanicals.co.uk/"]http://rudemechanicals.co.uk/[/url]

Edited by janmaat

Not last night but Saturday.

Covers gig at Catthorpe Hall near Rugby. Function venue I think.

Easy load in, fed and watered with the guests at the party. We played one set between two sets by a Latvian folk band who were very helpful so we shared their very fancy Bose PA for vocals and keyboard. Excellent sound on stage and out front without monitors. We played well during our set, full dance floor from the first to the last song. Me and the guitarist got invited back up to jam with the other band. Great fun.

The "big" rig sounded great and never went above a third of volume or gain despite having no PA support. Think I'll be putting the Ashdown cab up for sale, I just don't need it and hopefully someone else could make better use of it.

We were being put up at the venue and after playing we were invited to join the party which went on until about 5 with a lot of drinking and singing. Also got invited to go to Latvia to play at a bar there in July, not sure if that'll happen but it'd be great fun if it came off.

Played The Watering Hole on Perranporth beach on Saturday night. 7 hr drive to get there and 8 hrs to get back today after spending a few days there.

Fantastic mob there - great guvnor/staff and crowd going bonkers from 2nd song in the 2nd set. Had to have a big scary security guy sat on the front of the stage to keep the mob at bay!!!!! Never had that before:-)

Stage pyros malfunctioned and went off at random times thru the 2nd set - had to be a bit quick on the move when i felt my back burning. Made it pretty interesting.

Most enjoyable gig ive ever done and we're back there for August Bank Holiday. Cant wait.

Band is called Yellowhouse. Playing all over the SE of England till Christmas. Hi Energy Rock Covers. Available for all sorts of bookings but we dont do quiet or boring. Own 6k PA, lasers, lights and pyros.

;-)

Wednesday 11th April. The George IV, Chiswick. The first ever gig for my alt/psych/prog combo The Wood Demons, and it went brilliantly. The stage sound was a bit tricky, but judging from all the nice things people were saying, it wasn't too bad out front. The audience ranged from 18 to 80. People were really complimentary about the material, both our own songs and covers (like Astronomy Domine and Arnold Layne).
The evening wasn't all about us, though. The two other bands, Shakespeare and the Bible and The Kitchen Drinkers, were superb, and great people too. It was the kind of gig where all the musos helped each other out. The evening also raised a reasonable chunk of dosh for thebridge, a charity which helps children with autism. The venue is great and the staff were really helpful.

Now, of course, we're looking to do more gigs. If there's anyone out there inhabiting similar musical terrain (alt/psych/prog) and location (SW London, reasonable distance from), I'd be happy to discuss the possibility of teaming up for a gig.

Oneandfive

Up in Liverpool with Dick Venom supporting Rezurex.

Overall not bad. No time for a proper sound check and the bass amp supplied kept cutting out during the first two songs, which affected the performance somewhat. Once we'd sorted that out everything picked up a notch and we ended on a high. Mr Venom managed to break the cast iron base of his microphone stand! We are going to have to invest in something much more seriously built because at the moment no stand is last more than a couple of gigs - some have died during the first song!

Unfortunately because everything was running late and our drummer who was driving had an early start to work the next day we had to leave before Rezurex played. We've arranged to see them in Birmingham at the weekend to make up for it.

Anyway sold some CDs and managed to get back home just before 2.30...

Did one last weekend and, for the first time, I used in ear monitoring. Scared teh s*** out for me. I am a great believer in the idea that the tone you have contributes to the swing/groove created and not just the notes you play. Of course, the sound you hear through your amp and in the room is not the same as the sound you hear through your iem. So the groove I am used to was actually undermined, in my head, because my wonderfully wooly and integrated sound in the room was now hi-fi and clear as a bell. Still have to try it with double bass but on electric, I guess I will have to turn it down to a barely audible level that allows me to hear it as well as not instead of the room sound.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334859108' post='1622559']Mr Venom managed to break the cast iron base of his microphone stand! We are going to have to invest in something much more seriously built because at the moment no stand is last more than a couple of gigs - some have died during the first song!
[/quote]

Have a look at these: [url="http://www.rebelmicstands.com/rope_mic_stand.html"]http://www.rebelmicstands.com/rope_mic_stand.html
I[/url] reckon he'll have a job getting through that!

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1334912147' post='1623247']
Have a look at these: [url="http://www.rebelmicstands.com/rope_mic_stand.html"]http://www.rebelmicstands.com/rope_mic_stand.html
I[/url] reckon he'll have a job getting through that!
[/quote]

A Rebel Mic stand is what we'll most likely end up with. ATM [url=http://www.rebelmicstands.com/roknrolla_mic_stand.html]one of these[/url] looks favourite.

Not a great night at the duck & drake in leeds on wednesday.

Despite having been booked in over a month before, when we turned up, no one was expecting us. Bar manager knew nothing about PA and said there was no-one around that did. Eventually got it working and just had time to soundcheck. Then just before we're due on, bar manager says we have to turn everything down cos the pub manager upstairs says we're over the decibel limit !.

Played first set but struggled with sound levels and not hearing each other. Second set we thought f*** 'em and turned a few things back up and that went much better. A passer by heard it, came in the pub to listen and offered us all a pint at the end. The kindness of strangers.

Not impressed with the venue, they didn't promote the event, the manager clearly was around but didn't bother dragging his sorry arse down to see us. And to moan about the volume levels after the soundcheck rahter than during it, pathetic.

Oh yeah, and the beer was warm. Bar manager even argued about that as well. Have expressed our disappointment to the venue but not hear owt back after 2 days.

New band [b]Sun Dog[/b]'s first gig at Harburn Hall, West Calder, near Edinburgh. Vocalist's first ever gig!

First band on, Nice hall, nice stage, (small vocal PA and lighting rig), nice people. Private party with 5 bands, BYOB etc (we got fed), no money involved, just pleased to be out gigging again - normal long and winding road to getting out there. When we got there, we found out that guitarist had been asked to bring amps/cabs, unfortunately he didn't pass this on, so we had to borrow some guitar/drum stuff from other bands. I had taken my Eden head but the only cab was a 1x12 woofer (supposedly 250W 8ohm) cobbled together by the sound guy. I stuck the Gramma underneath it, and actually it didn't sound too bad.

We played 5 of our songs (originals including our 10min 41 second epic "Dogs of War") and 'Keep on rockin' in the free world" - it was meant to be the 'encore' but guitarist had forgotten that his spare guitar which needed to be tuned to drop D for one of the songs hadn't got any straplocks on it. So we had to play that one last as our 'encore'. It was lucky that that song is a good one to finish on too.

Excellent first gig, really enjoyable, all of the practicing paid off, only minor mistakes, lots of nice comments (which for a band with 'prog' leanings is encouraging). Only fly in the ointment was during the second band's set, when they stopped due to the electrical burning smell coming from my Eden WT405, so that and subsequent bands changed to the sound man's brother's Peavey combo that was previously hidden! The smell dissipated, the amp still works quite loud (tested it today), bit disappointed as it is the amp's first outing since a repair by Dennis Marshall. Ah well, life's like that. Win some, lose some.

Rufus Dog

[attachment=105738:WP_000015.jpg]

Edited by RalphDWilson