Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/russjm/megeddy.jpg[/IMG]

It was a weird one, we couldn't get a decent balance at all, and my sound was all over the place. To cap it all, the singer has decided to call it a day. Why does someone always leave, just as you've got a really good set together?? Ah well, we have a girl singer lined up for an audition, so we'll see.

My punk covers band, The Daves, did a gig on Saturday. It was for a charity fund-raising gig, for Cancer Research, called Skinfest (not a skinhead thing, run by a guy called Skinner).

Anyway, last week, my wrist started really hurting, and the doc signed me off for 2 weeks, so I couldn`t play, so the lead singer took bass duties, and I did stand-up backing vocs. This was also with our new drummer, with whom we`ve played one gig rehearsed, one gig unrehearsed, and he`s had two rehearsals with the "real" band, and one with the line-up for Sat. So no pressure on the band then :lol:

We were first on, at 3.30. Gig went very well, we played hard & fast, and the audience really enjoyed it. Turns out there were meant to be 7 bands on originally, but by the day, there were only 4, so I`m really glad we made the effort to do the gig.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='KevG' timestamp='1338148792' post='1670154']
Hen and Chickens pub in Baldock (North Herts) a great venue, great reception and mega friendly. Second time we've been there with the blues band, went down really well and we're back there next month. Can't be bad!
[/quote]

I love playing that little pub! Nice and cosy, and the punters always seem really appreciative. First time there was Balstock last year - been back a couple of times since, and again in a couple of weeks time. Really looking forward to it.

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1338794695' post='1679190']

It was a weird one, we couldn't get a decent balance at all, and my sound was all over the place. To cap it all, the singer has decided to call it a day. Why does someone always leave, just as you've got a really good set together?? Ah well, we have a girl singer lined up for an audition, so we'll see.
[/quote]

Is that what they call 'Rock till you drop?' :happy:

My band, 'The Fringe' played the Gosprt Festival yesterday. It was my first time on such a huge stage, such a great experience. We went down very well with the punters even though it was mid afternoon.

Jas

Regular venue but without our keys player. We played as a 4 piece which was interesting. The first set it took a while to re-groove as there was a lot more space to consider. Second set i stopped thinking about it and let go and we had a blast.

Played at a charity fund raising event on Saturday night. All went well (except for one misread of the set list by me!) and I think we helped a bit towards a couple of great charities.

Pics if you're interested (too big if included here) - I like the (probably accidental) spaced out effect of the first one: [url="http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270970_10150866942238549_603763548_10083370_439025777_n.jpg"]pic 1[/url], [url="http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/537668_10150866931333549_325992170_n.jpg"]pic 2[/url], [url="http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576908_10150866927878549_2127730921_n.jpg"]pic 3[/url]

Jubilee event at North Ferriby with the Rackaback Morris. Four slots well spread out during the afternoon, good crowd and we did a couple of audience participation dances. Let some interested kids have a quick pluck at the DB and passed on some contact details for Hull Music Centre to parents. Good fun.

Only downer was the Tug of War, we lost badly. Mind you it was eight of us against fifteen Viking re-enactors!

Steve

Played the Tropic at Ruislip with the Members last night. Probably the most fun I've had at a gig. We played really well and had a queue for CD signings when we came off. Had great feedback from the punters and couldn't even go for a slash without someone wanting to chat about the band.
Great time warp night. Like a really good natured late 70s gig. Main band were bloody good value too.

Here's a review [url="http://retroman65.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/members-jetsonics-live-at-tropic.html"]http://retroman65.bl...-at-tropic.html[/url]
Here's me with some old drummer.

Edited by Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1338841772' post='1679981']
Played the Tropic at Ruislip with the Members last night. Probably the most fun I've had at a gig. We played really well and had a queue for CD signings when we came off. Had great
feedback from the punters and couldn't even go
for a slash without someone wanting to chat
about the band.

Great time warp night. Like a really good natured late 70s gig. Main band were bloody good value too.

Hail the Scabies!!!

Here's a review [url="http://retroman65.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/members-jetsonics-live-at-tropic.html"]http://retroman65.bl...-at-tropic.html[/url]
Here's me with some old drummer.
[/quote]

Played Darwen Live 2012 over the weekend, once at the library theatre and once at Number 39. The library theatre gig was a bit more reserved and I couldn't hear the keyboards at all for the first three songs. First song went a bit wrong as a result, but we pulled it back and everyone seemed to enjoy it. The second gig at Number 39 was such a blast. The place was rammed full, people were dancing and very drunk, and I was jumping around like a lunatic while playing! Good times :)

Absolutely f***ing awesome!!!

Dick Venom & The Terrortones were in brighton for "Stay Sick" at the Blind Tiger Club. Fantastic people organising it who very kindly sorted us out with a drum kit and bass amp after our carefully planned transport arrangements fell trough at the last minute which meant we only had room to bring instruments, guitar amp and drum breakables. Great venue with a decent sized stage and a good PA. Fantastically appreciative audience including Basschat's 51m0n and billyapple (thanks for coming guys!) who gave us a raucous reception and crazy dancing that rivalled the enthusiasm of Newcastle's Meow Club. There was also a man in a plushy tiger costume...

All this added up to a blinder of a gig which included Mr Venom dancing on the bar and attempting to be carried on the shoulders of the Tiger. The night ended with Tequila shots and mad dancing to 60s garage punk 45s. billyapple took some photos so I'll post a couple up later...

Once again thanks to the Stay Sick guys who know how to put on a great evening and look after the bands. Every promoter should be like them!

Incredible. It was at a castle in Lulworth. The castle was set in the most beautiful surroundings and there were all kinds of wildlife running around. I got chased by what i told the band was a Phoenix, but was in fact a Peacock. It flared its wings, hissed like a mutha and started running at me :(. I've seen some scary birds in my time but hey.

The stage was fantastic, the lights were too - an enormous rig and a lighting engineer! During the break there was a 7 minute non-stop firework display. The last set was full of pissed bridesmaids showing too much leg :gas: and to cap it all off we were paid handsomely.

100 club, haven't played there for a few years. Still a dive, but great history.
One of the nicest sound guys you could meet.
Good sweaty gig for band and fans alike.
[IMG]http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af124/basscoach/stuffs/2fa0f352.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339347375' post='1687200']
Absolutely f***ing awesome!!!

Dick Venom & The Terrortones were in brighton for "Stay Sick" at the Blind Tiger Club. Fantastic people organising it who very kindly sorted us out with a drum kit and bass amp after our carefully planned transport arrangements fell trough at the last minute which meant we only had room to bring instruments, guitar amp and drum breakables. Great venue with a decent sized stage and a good PA. Fantastically appreciative audience including Basschat's 51m0n and billyapple (thanks for coming guys!) who gave us a raucous reception and crazy dancing that rivalled the enthusiasm of Newcastle's Meow Club. There was also a man in a plushy tiger costume...

All this added up to a blinder of a gig which included Mr Venom dancing on the bar and attempting to be carried on the shoulders of the Tiger. The night ended with Tequila shots and mad dancing to 60s garage punk 45s. billyapple took some photos so I'll post a couple up later...

Once again thanks to the Stay Sick guys who know how to put on a great evening and look after the bands. Every promoter should be like them!
[/quote]

+1 X Loads.. A super ace gig, completely hat-stand...

Mine's a treble Mr Venom!... I think the pony-tailed rear-head is 51m0n...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/02jCFl.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by billyapple

Great gig with my covers band 360 at The Dome Bar in Watford last night for several reasons.

First gig since I joined the band in March where I felt I knew all the songs well enough to relax and enjoy myself.
First gig for our new backing singer who only joined us 2 weeks ago, she did really well and her harmonies added to the band's sound.
No faffing around between songs just straight into the next one.
Friendly and enthusiastic crowd, lots of dancing right from the start.

All in all, one of those gigs that make it all worthwhile

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339351150' post='1687288']
+1 X Loads.. A super ace gig, completely hat-stand...

Mine's a treble Mr Venom!... I think the pony-tailed rear-head is 51m0n...

[/quote]

Yup thats me. No not the loon on the bar in stockings (Monsieur Venom at your service), I am the far more pedestrian and hirsute chap on the left with pony tail.

Proper proper mental gig, the last time I shook my tail feather was at a New Model Army gig, this was of similar awesomeness in order to make me get in the wee little wobbling wreck(ette) that developed at the end. Of course NMA didnt have a theremin (gotta love a theremin) or a stocking clad lunatic of a frontman, and their guitarist is no where near as easy on the eye!

Brilliant brilliant fun, thanks for coming all the way down to Brighton to entertain us so much! Next time I can see I'll need to get the hair sorted into a proper psychobilly quiff, there's enough of it!

Well after the brilliance of last weekend's gig, tonight's was a complete let down.

Playing a festival in Alfreton. I don't like festivals much and the British weather doesn't do them many favours. My idea of a good festival gig would be one where I was helicoptered in 5 minutes before we were due on stage and I would be off out again while the last notes on the encore song were still ringing... No mud no fuss...

Anyway tonight's gig was appalling even allowing for the fact that it was going to be a bit of a crappy festival gig anyway. Everything was massively over-running, but there was a definite music curfew so as the evening progressed the sets got shorter and shorter. By the time the band before us had finished playing there was 30 minutes left in which to swap gear and play our set. It was at this point we discovered that the backline that we'd been told would be supplied wasn't in fact there...

We put our gear back in the van and went home. Even if the promised amps had been there we'd have been lucky to have had time for more than 4 songs (and this is a band who don't do anything longer than 3 minutes). On top of that, in order for me to be available to do the gig I had to work all through last night so that the job I was currently doing would be completed and approved so that I could leave for the gig at 5.00 today. Currently I've been up 42 hours straight...

Not at all happy...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339800908' post='1694831']
Well after the brilliance of last weekend's gig, tonight's was a complete let down...

Playing a festival in Alfreton. I don't like festivals much and the British weather doesn't do them many favours...

Anyway tonight's gig was appalling even allowing for the fact that it was going to be a bit of a crappy festival gig anyway...

Not at all happy...
[/quote]

Boo! Sorry to read this. Well for every up, there is a down. Get some rest, Pal, and chalk it up to experience.

First of two nights. Not being into the footie I only realised last Weds that it was the England game on Friday. Checked with the venue who said no probs we'll have the game on the screen you can set up behind and go on when the match finishes, which we did.

In the run up had one of those "oh good we've scored. Oh cr@p they've scored. Oh cr@p they've scored again" the "thank f**k we've scored" twice so the evening had the potential to not be a bunch of p155ed & morose footie fans by the end. Then of course they were only ther for the footie so it didn't really matter as they pretty much all fecked off as soon as the game finished.

Good venue. House PA & lights. Backstage area with loo (that is not the pit from hell, at least at the moment) & showers & stuff going in. Door at the back that we could bring the gear through rather than fight through a pub of footie fans. Took our sound guys Aviom stage board that then fed straight into the house PA mulkticore, but meant we had our own IEM rigs off the Aviom.

Playing wise went not too bad. A couple of new songs in the set that we ploughed through with only a couple of errors (including vocalist getting out of sync with where the vocal lines should have been and where we actually were). EDIT - and then I watch bits of the vids & listen to the recordings & think "why bother" :unsure:

Drummer nixed another song at the end of the set as one he cannot get into / his head around and theat then puts him out of wack for the rest of the set. Vocalist had another few moments where he stepped to the side of the stage for lead breaks, but then stayed there in semi darkness for the next verse & chorus despite the front man spot having been vacated by the guitarist after the lead break. That really gets me. You're supposed to be a frontman FFS! :angry:

Tired today and a long gig tonight followed by a r/h with another band tomorrow night. It'll be a long weekend

Edited by WalMan

Just back from Burtfest and what a difference it was from the night before. Well organised good PA. It was a little disappointing that there weren't more people there.

In the end it didn't matter. Even though we were on at 4.00, we played really well, plenty of people down the front getting into it and not being too intimidated by Mr Venom. The rest of us "rocked like bastards"! I think the threatening inclement weather helped to drive people into the tent where we were playing which was all good for us. Sold lots of T-shirts afterwards and gave out lots of flyers with band and gig info.]

Now happy and slightly drunk. About to head off for a Japanese meal. All in all a good day for me!

Our gig at the Albert in southport was superb. Great crowd having fun with it, which always makes us play better.
Had a girl running passed at one point just in her bra, and jeans. Same girl apparently later kept flashing her bottom ;-) and at the end had her picture taken with her head on our singers chest!!! Our singer is female too.
Anyway, loads of good responses and were back there in august!!

Friday's gig was friggin awful. Sloppy as all hell, forgot lyrics, got a throat infection and concussion so I could barely stand never mind do backing vocals.. And we somehow tripped the power halfway through a song, and we were left standing on stage like lemons for 10 minutes until someone found the fusebox.. Nightmare.