Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Much as ever at the place in question. Played fine, but
[quote]Well IoW's on and there's something else on down the road[/quote] :(

So those that were there were looking like they were enjoying themselves and apparently singing along, but each song ended to the sound of one hand clapping, UNTIL the last song when they suddenly wanted more and became vocal about it. So of course we did, 'cos we're whooers & like making a noise.

Packed up & loaded out in the p155ing rain. Got home @ 1:30.

I'm not convinced by the EBS Compressor I picked up from here recently and was not happy with my sound which seemed to come & go.

#2 guitarist brought along his 5W Blackstar head & used that miked instead of the Boogie combo. Barely needed it though as it seemed a mahoosively loud 5W. Good news is #1 guitarist took it away for a lend so fingers crossed he may get one of those instead of the Marshall combo that gives me so much grief by nicking my sonic territory.

Sadly now a long break to the next one. I really ought to get my A into G and go looking for some more places to play, but that may require another band meeting with the sound guy to see whether we can get him to put together a smaller rig, otherwise what's the point!? I look at new possibles and then think "well we'll never get all that sh1t in there" and give up :(

Must try to develop a more positive outlook on life, but sometimes it's difficult.

Edited by WalMan

Saturdays gig was cancelled due to our singer being stuck in Scotland!
But we had an early evening gig yesterday at a small pub in Southport call the Oast House, First set was ropey, dont know what happened during 'Torn', drummer missed a beat, which put me off stride, then the singer lost her place. Luckily we got it all back for the end!!
Second set was a stormer, band sounding really tight and getting a good response from the crowd. Even though we where due to finish @ 7;15 for the start of the football, we ended up doing encores till half 7!!
First gig with the newly traded Status S3000, very impressed. Id only restrung it the night before with some new Status 40-100's, improved the sound immensely. Pretty much had the EQ flat, and it cut through beautifully.

A few photos from Saturday's gig at Nottingham's Waterfront Festival:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/168544_10151049963660610_1816844258_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/8080_383881038336715_7169067_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/555915_10151049961140610_371189078_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/russjm/thewinds20.jpg[/IMG]

Good gig on Saturday, a small crowd in a big pub is never good, but once we started the second set the place had filled up nicely. It seemed like a[i] long[/i] gig too, we've been putting new stuff in, but failing to drop the old stuff, so it went on forever. We really need to butcher the set list.

The Spectors sounded great, and for the first time in a LONG time, I had people coming up to me afterwards commenting on the bass sound, so you can't say fairer then that. A couple fo different people said the bass was really clear and punchy, not something they were used to hearing, as in this particular venue it was usually wooly and thumpy with most band. So I'm very happy with that.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340548498' post='1705955']the last band had the bass massively loud in the monitors which meant that the front wedges were producing some "interesting" sounds in time with my bass part on the opening song and and the second I was so loud I could no longer hear the drums!
[/quote]

I wonder why they had so much bass? I didn't use an amp and didn't get any bass in the monitor either and it was fine for me.
Your set was great, by the way!

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1340697319' post='1708116']
I wonder why they had so much bass? I didn't use an amp and didn't get any bass in the monitor either and it was fine for me.
Your set was great, by the way!
[/quote]

I wondered where your head was! That was a great bass sound you had considering it was all DI into the PA? Maybe because I used my own rig they used a different lead to DI it? Whatever the reason it was causing the wedges to produce some very "interesting" sounds until we got them to take all the bass out of the foldback.

You wonder with some of these multi band things if there is any testing of the gear in advance at all. I played a small outdoor festival a couple of weeks back as a favour to a mate who had a couple of band members missing and needed a dep. It was only 1 x 45 min set so 2 brief rehearsals had a resonably tight set with me doing about half the lead vox. I enquired about backline, all provided apparently, just turn up with a bass. Great stuff.
Although quite a few acts had been on before us I don't think any of them had used the bass stack provided (act just before us was an acoustic guitar duo for example). So on we went and after 2 songs I start getting these awful whiny pseudo harmonic noises coming out of the stack (some old Laney head into a 4x10). I'm fronting the band for most of the set so turning round to twiddle and sort stuff out isn't really an option so I just gritted my teeth and got on with it, sounded abysmal from my end and apparently noticeable from the audiences end too so it was going all way through desk and out to PA.
My mates other half mentioned it to the sound engineer and he claimed it was down to the pickups on my bass! This is my trusty US jazz which through a number of bands/different rehearsal rooms/jam sessions has probably been through about 10 different rigs with never a problem. I noticed the band due on after us had brought their own entire backline with them even though their set was no longer than ours, maybe they knew something! As we went off I told the stage crew to take the Laney away and burn it. :lol:

This was taken during the sound check. It had been an odd day, third day of an otherwise rain soaked festival , I came in on Sunday in blazing sunshine (hence the silly hat) only to find that the whole site was under six inches of very wet mud. By the time of our gig I was plastered from the waist down. The stage was miraculously only slightly muddy and as the sound man was such a good guy I took my trainers off (I know trainers at at mudbath festival!) and played barefoot. I look a bit like Snufkin from the Moomins.
Anyway , the sound on stage and off was superb despite the 15 minute set up/sound check while loud music was being played (we were also the first band to have a drummer that day. A great gig in the end , could have had a bigger crowd but isn't that so often the case.

A link to someones flickr account showing mud covered naked women who were also at the festival. I can't find any pictured of mud covered naked men at Sunrise Celebration. http://www.flickr.com/photos/markfalmouth/7444244786/in/set-72157630294483132/

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340700906' post='1708168']
I wondered where your head was! That was a great bass sound you had considering it was all DI into the PA? Maybe because I used my own rig they used a different lead to DI it? Whatever the reason it was causing the wedges to produce some very "interesting" sounds until we got them to take all the bass out of the foldback.
[/quote]

Somebody forgot to get it out of the van (It wasn't me, I tried to remind them) before they went to park it so I just used my SansAmp instead. It did the job.
I don't think those monitors were big enough to handle much bass. I'm surprised they didn't blow!

[quote name='sticker' timestamp='1341118831' post='1713971']
Well , that was the worst gig I have ever played , in 20 years of playing live I've never had so many things go wrong on in one set !
Proper gutted as it was the first outing for the Stingray5 :(
[/quote]

The ray is obviously cursed. Burn it.

Made my debut with Empire of Fools at Lemonfest last night. Went really well! Bit crammed on stage (if you can call the back of a Potato lorry a stage) and the monitor mix was a bit off but at least being right next to the drums I could hear them! Not bad for a dress rehearsal of sorts really, big gig supporting Reef this Friday! :gas:

Played a very fancy hotel/spa on Friday night, they were running near 2 hours late but they had a great buffet - fish and chips and a variety of spring rolls with sweet & sour sauce.

Played a wedding on the rooftop of a hotel. The load in was a total nightmare: 100 yards down a corridor full of bins, the slowest lift on earth (the only one we had access to) and a narrow corridor not designed for a rear steer trolley. Was a slow start but had the dancefloor packed by 10. Our dep drummer did very well considering it was the first time we'd played with him, some very extended versions of songs. No buffet though.

Awesome wedding gig last night in a marquee in the middle of nowhere to about 200 peeps

20-30 people on the dance floor alll night (bar 2 numbers) and we rocked out 36 songs !!
We had a PA amp blow at sound check but I used my power amp in lieu , and my warwick profet 3.2 is normally my preamp but handled the rig fine .
our new led cans worked superb.
we stopped for a 10 min break and as soon as we did the generator ran out of deisel , after a 10min top up we started again.
The daft thing is the side of the marquee was open for the outside crowd , but it pi55ed down halfway through the 2nd set and we didn't notice. All the extension cables from the generator where soaking wet as were speaker/xlr cables and a takiamine 12 string !!!
but it wasn't until we were packing away that it became obvious. everything seems to have dried out just fine
LOADS of bullets dodged and a great party for everyone .

Wedding gig and they were a very nice bunch of folks. Nice to see the band out do the DJ again, it's just great seeing their faces when it happens. They just can't seem to work it out.

First outing for the new Vigier Passion, still not used to it so was fiddling about witIh the knobs a bit too much to fully enjoy te experience. She most certainly is a class act though. The Zoot played superbly, seriously considering keeping, so smooth.....

All topped of with wedding gig pay packet.

All in all a decent night

Ooh and a hog roast in the deal.......fatboy today

Edited by Voodoosnake

Last of 3 in a row.
Thurs Chester wedding was great, good crowd,venue had a seperate area to shunt them out into so we could do our soundcheck thang, and we played well, and kept them dancing.
Had a slight disagreement about what key Valerie is in....
Flats+Thumper P was great even through a Fender bassman 250 I was trying out.

Frid, Cheadle Hotel, awful min box stage full of catering equipment which an officious hotel prick said couldn`t be moved, so we moved it ourselves.
Still very tight though and the guests weren`t interested and ended up fighting outside :)
I couldn`t use my P because I fecked the circuit somehow changing P/guard.

Sat Abbeywood estate wedding, Delamere, conservatory type arrangement, seperate room for guests so great soundcheck.
Prob best gig with this band ever,34 tunes, full dancefloor, semi restored P (replaced vol pot).
Still don`t like the Fender combi, may sell on.
Got 2 miles from base when van died, due to idiot putting £10 of petrol in...(me)
Ah well.

We had two this weekend. Both very enjoyable.
Sat was at a very posh house just outside Cambridge. We were in a Marquee in the garden and access was good, food was good, audience were great (once they got going) but band were crap.
I realyl enjoyed it, my tone was fantastic (IMO fo course) but due to the fact that we had no walls the mix was very dead. This seemed to put the other off as they could now hear what they were playing clearly. A few songs fell apart, badly, butr on the whole it was a great night. We even got another booking out of it, and £50 tip.

Last nights gig was in Pembroke lodge in Richmond Park. We have played it a few times before so knew the score with the sound meter. We could hear the guests talking over some of the slower songs.
I didnt enjoy it too much, you cant with bloody flashing red lights in front of you and a drummer who thinks as long as he doesnt trip it his volume is ok. Didn't really care that he was drowning us out at some points because we had set everything low.
As usual the food was good (Gordon Ramsay was a guest although we didnt see him after the meal was finished). The audience were amazing though. So much gusset and cleavage on show that i almost forgot to keep an eye on the sound meter.

At one point the wedding party took over the playing area to get some photos done. The photographer did ask and we didnt have a problem with it (its their time and money) but at no point during the evening did the bride or groom thank us, or even talk to us. They seemed a nice couple though, and were up dancing all night.

Im really loving my Squier CVP now. Putting the Dr Black Beauties on it hasreally transformed it. It has more life in it now and is a joy to play.

A few shots i took of them, not us. Yes, the bridesmaid was scary looking but actually a very nice lady.
[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/7485532758/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/7485535442/"][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/davebass5/7485537140/"][/url]

Played the Beatherder Festival on Saturday, and it was bloody EPIC!!!!! :)

The weather was poo, but the whole crowd, vibe and banter of the day was just superb. The whole band played a blinding set with everyone enjoying themselves! To top it all off I got to see Orbital, Jazz Dub Sound System, Steve Hillage (sat next to him for lunch too) and the Wonderful Sound Of The Cinema Organ all for free. Good times :)

I had a gig on Friday in Slains Castle (the pub, not the ruin - that would have been awesome) - it was ... OK. I thought we were quite slack and loose, it felt weird and like we weren't clicking - ever get gigs like that? Yet afterwards we had people coming up and saying how much they enjoyed it so it can't have been awful.

We had a BBQ on Saturday in our back garden - glorious sunshine for once (rain came as close as 20 miles away), raining all week before and raining on Sunday. Absolutely amazing luck. 2/3 of the band were around so we set up at the bottom of the garden and had a wee jam. We did some instrumentals of our songs, blues jam in A and stuff like Louie Louie with the trombone doing the vocal melody so it worked out OK. People seemed to like it so it was worth it. My wife took a wee vid on her new phone - can't hear the bass but it was there, honest!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033Jbs4jbQ0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=033Jbs4jbQ0[/url]

We did our first wedding gig on Saturday night. I think it went well. We were generally happy at the end of the night. The bride and groom were happy and we had some people dancing. I think a lot of people were chatting and drinking especially as it turned out the club prices were cheap for beer, etc.

Well, some very kind person put together a rather good video montage on Youtube of our band Kiki Deville And The Cadillacs playing Beatherder :)

http://youtu.be/2vuza5Ke9Rs

The audio is from the performance of an original tune called Soul Man. The video doesn't strictly sync with what's going on, but it's still cool. Please ignore the dodgy bass break/solo :ph34r: