Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played Leyland Festival, last on at the RAFA Club (One of 12 venues and 94 artists over 2 nights) and despite there only being about 30 people there, the PA being pretty sh*t and not much stage space, it was f*cking outstanding. We got off stage almost 2 hours ago and i'm still sweating now (Grim, i know, but it's a sign of a good gig). The act on before us was a magician called Magi' Chris who was surprisingly good. I tried out my DIY bass only IEM rig as well, definately improved my playing massively. Double encore and blood on the vocalist/rhythm guitarists pickguard, crackin' night.

We just got to hope tonight is just as good, preferably even better now, as it's unfortunately looking as though it's our last gig with our current lead guitarist, who's been in this band in all roles (rhythm and lead guitars, drums, bass and vocals) over the past 7 years whilst the lineup has changed around him, it'l be a sad moment for us all.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Just back from playing the Barleymow in Shepperton with my new band.

We went down really well with a very appreciative crowd and have been invited back.

It doesn't happen often, but a guy at the end came up to me, shook me by the hand and told me I was a fantastic Bass player and he hoped to see us again soon. It really made my night :)

Just got in from our gig at the Martin Inn, in Burscough Lancs.
Brilliant gig, wasnt sure how we'd go down as it was a new venue for this band, Ive played there before.
It was a smallish crowd, but they loved us. Best gig Ive had with this band so far, and we will be back at this venue very soon.
Loving my rig atm, the Status sounds really good in the mix.

Back in from the Potters Wheel in Buckley where we did a turn ;)

Great sounding venue , low roof and a long wide room with no beams meant quite a clean and open sound , used my new amp , cheers Ben , and for a rig weighing in at next to nothing the sound really punched it's way through .
Some top dancing , from some well good movers helped the night turn from good to great , again not a massive crowd but the manager was pleased with the turnout and performance , and a return is in the diary.

The only bummer, is the best dancer wanted to book us for her birthday bash , but the date doesn't fit . shame, cos she has been before and loves what we do , and we like watching her dance :blink:

Near the end of an increadible weekend for me.

First up Friday -
Empire of Fools opening the show at the Cheese and Grain, Frome, suporting REEF!! G

Got there to find everything running about 20 minutes late with no sign of the other support band. By the time Reef had done their sound check and the other support band fannied around with their gear it had gone 8;00 (doors time) before we had even got our gear anywhere near the stage! We went on at about 8:20 in the end, literally plug in and play! Crowd was amazing though, I wasn't expecting such a positive reaction - the venue capacity is 850 and I think we must have had at lest 650 watching us and loving it! Band played really well despite complete lack of sound check - it's a good job in these situations that our drummer uses a click track!

Sold loads of CDs, got loads of positive response from the audience after the show, impressed promotors and met all the guys from Reef. Nice bunch of blokes really, not so sure why they couldn't use the toilet in THEIR dressing room though... :blink:

Saturday -
Wedding with the wedding band (Slipstream for tonight) at Widemouth Manor Hotel, Bude.

Straightforward wedding really - wait for meals/speeches, manouver gear around tipsy old people etc etc. Bit of a slow burner - everyone hit the bar after the first dance (Beatles - I Feel Fine) and I made a bit of a foul during By The Way when tuning down to drop D.... forgetting that I was in Eb (having played the same bass in standard tuning the night before) but luckily nobody noticed :ph34r:

Everybody was up dancing for the 3rd set though...almost fealt bad for setting off the fire alarm with the smoke machine.........

Now tonight I'm watching Blink 182 at the Eden Project (after I finish, I work there see B) )

Played with my covers band last night for the drummer and guitarist's 60th birthday celebrations.

They had hired a local school so we had a nice big acoustically sympathetic space to play in and a proper stage to play on. Loads of free food and drink too! The gig itself went really well even though everything ran late so our second set was reduced to just 4 songs in order for us to finish before the noise curfew...

Also they had ex-members of the band get up on stage for a couple of numbers, so I got to stand out in the audience and so the band play which was a bit weird. Also it's now become obvious that my rig really doesn't suit low-output single-coil basses as yet another bass player struggled to get a decent sound out of his Fender Jazz going through my amp and speakers. I have no problem getting a big fat meaty thumpy sound out of it with either my Overwater or the Gus basses.

Played my first gig in ages on Friday night. The local land lady's 50th Birthday so we got a local band together to give a bit of light hearted support to the main band (4 out of 5 living in the village). Only a 7 song set, and featuring 4 of the female bar staff (including the birthday girl) on backing vocals and sexy moves for two of them!

Nerves got the better of me at the start and I fluffed 'All Right Now' a bit, but settled in to it and a good night was had by all. No money but as much Purity Gold as I could drink (which was about 10 pint's by home time).

No feeling a bit low cos I do't know when the next one will be.

Edited by Count Bassy

In addition to my last post, the gig last night was even better. Tiny crowd again, but that's all you need to fill that pub, and i couldn't hear myself all night. We were told afterwards that the sound was spot on, and that my mate who provided us with his drums was incredibly impressed with how they performed in a gig situation. The venue heard what we said about possibly being the bands last gig together, and have kindly offered us another date mid-august so we can throw a proper farewell gig and go out as best we can. Some of my old friends from another local band (Called O.C.D.) came down as well for the evening and they were mightily impressed with us as a band, which is always good. So all in all, an awesome night.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1341775318' post='1723977']
In addition to my last post, the gig last night was even better. Tiny crowd again, but that's all you need to fill that pub, and i couldn't hear myself all night. We were told afterwards that the sound was spot on, and that my mate who provided

us with his drums was incredibly impressed with how they performed in a gig situation. The venue heard what we said about possibly being the bands last gig together, and have kindly offered us another date mid-august so we can throw a proper farewell gig and go out as best we can. Some of my old friends from another

local band (Called O.C.D.) came down as well for the evening and they were mightily impressed with us as a band, which is always good. So all in all, an awesome night.

Liam
Is that the .. Mike Seal and Calli OCD?
[/quote]

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341783856' post='1724211']
Is that the .. Mike Seal and Calli OCD?
[/quote]

No it's not, it's a relatively small band from Bolton, 2 twins Cam and Kurt on Bass/Vocals and Guitar/Vocals respectively, and i think the drummer is their brother.

Liam

Edit for major spelling fail, i've never met a man called Kurn......

Edited by LiamPodmore

An ex bank/cum hotel opposite Liverpool town hall Sat night.
Blimey what those women wear...
Anyway..
Found it, was told to park up at back and load through the tortuously small kitchen and into the front. Took one look and thought sod that we`re going in the front,which was ten metres from the actual "stage".
No prob, just wait for the bored sticky smokers to dissipate while the best man did his drone and we were in like Flynn.
Strange stage area,4 feet up to one side of the room with a waist high glass wall in front of us..Obviously extra eating space.
No prob setting up, though the P.A was about 2 metres in front of us on the left and 3 metres away from us on the right, so I had to crank the wedges a bit and spend an extra 20 min making sure the FOH sound was going to sit well through the night.
Difficult to predict as the place had Doric columns,marble floor and a high domed roof.
Quick [s]argument [/s] discussion with Singer about whether lighting our ankles might be less effective than actually lighting our bodies,and once the lights were positioned to everyones satisfaction,"ooh no, that`s in my eyes,can`t see me lyric book "etc we went for a coffee and a good lech at the local badly dressed types.
Not much to say about the actual gig, as we were a little removed from the action on our glassed in podium,and had no idea what the FOH sounded like with bodies in front of it, so it was all about monitors and relaying comments to the drummer about how many were dancing etc.(He couldn`t see a thing).
Two large fans are now an essential part of our gig kit, and kept us relatively cool throughout.
Tried my Fender Bassman 250 for the last time and although it`s very loud and has a few nice tones,decided to return to the bosom of Ampeg, despite the increase in size and weight.

House party with my rock covers band.

Ridiculously small area to play in at one end of the "lounge". We got the drummer's electronic kit in the bay window and the amps either side. Got a few raised eyebrows when I turned up with my full "small" bass rig but as I pointed out the volume control goes anti-clockwise too and both cabs means that I can hear myself properly at low volume. Actually setting up in such cramped conditions mean that the sound was much more balanced for us then it was on the huge stage we played last week. Only problem was that the drummer stuck behind the amps couldn't really hear himself. I also discovered that one of the guitarists zeros all his volume controls on his amp before he turns it off. No wonder it takes him 5-10 minutes and a couple of songs to get the clean/dirty balance right at the beginning of each rehearsal and soundcheck!

It always amazes me how long the other members of the band spend faffing about with their gear when my rig which is physically the largest and technically just as complicated takes about 5 minutes to set up. Stack the two cabs on top of each other, the rack case with the amp and Pod on top of that. Take off the rack lids, pull out the two speaker leads and plug them into the cabs, pull out the Floorboard cable and plug that in. Pull out the mains cable and power up. Job done.

The gig itself went well. A small but very enthusiastic audience who were up and dancing from the first to the last song. Less messing about and tuning up from the guitarist between songs than normal. No one called the police to complain about the noise and we got paid. Result as they say. Might even have another booking for christmas time.

Some of you might remember that back in January I posted about the percussionist in the trio I play with. His wife died suddenly and totally out-of-the-blue. He, totally understandably, decided to take a break and we reverted to a duo for the time being.
Anyway, last night he made his comeback. With his new weapon, a Cajon!
A memorable night, in several ways. :)

Played at the O2 Academy in Birmingham last night at one of the Emma Scott Presents gigs.
We went on third out of five bands and played to a packed room that had never seen or probably even heard of us before. Regardless of this they all proceeded to sing our songs back at us and even carried on singing them after we'd finished the set!
Then we sold a crapload of merch.

Definitely one of my favourite ever gigs!

A fun weekend for me, two gigs on double bass with the blues / swing band.

Friday night at Ain't Nothin But The Blues in Soho. A good reaction from an enthusiastic crowd. I DI'd into the venue's PA from my B-Band Statement mixer/preamp box and stood just under the FOH. It's a packed venue and the house amp is a heavy combo that's always locked away in the basement. I got fed up trying to get it upstairs & through the crowd. Taking my own amp is a no go as you can't park near the venue. It's about the fourth time I've DI'd and got the best sound yet with just a bit of mid cut and the 100hz cut button in.

Last night, we played a wedding in Herts and were well looked after. Used my Mark Bass combo and was very happy with the sound. We played great until the sound limiter cut us off. This was one that I hadn't seen before. It seemed to have a small orange light that flashed occasionally but gave no warning as to when the power would go off. This happened about 3 times and the drummer and I just kept grooving until power was restored. Once the guitar and harp amps were turned down enough, we were fine. I understand why they have these things but we really aren't a loud band and limiters need to give you some visual warning of what they're doing so you can play within their parameters. Ho hum......at least I didn't have a valve amp like the others - I understand the loss of power is unkind to the longevity of tubes.

Interesting weekend...

On Saturday night, one of my bands played on a ferry that went along the Tyne from Tynemouth to Newcastle. It was one of the small passenger ferries so it was a bit of a squish, but it was fun.

Today was The Mouth Of the Tyne festival, supporting The (formerly Beautiful) South, and Heaven 17.

Here's a pic of Mrs. WoT & I:

...and here's the stage:

Played in Liverpool last night. Must have been about ten people in - 6 of who were either in or with the band after us. Just me and the singer/guitarist who changed the keys to half of the set, which meant playing 'catch-up' most of the night.

Thankfully it was over relatively quickly. The 3 piece on after us still insisted on talking all the way through our set though. Poor form ladies.
To sum up, I've had (much) better gigs.

What a hoot. Depped with The Junco Partners, Newcastle's oldest (in so many ways) R'n'B band. They've been going since the 60s, and backed Howlin' Wolf and Freddie King back in the day.

Both the drummer and bass player are out of action at the moment, so it was the first time I'd ever played with the drummer, too. No chance for rehearsals, or personal introductions. Just... '1, 2, 3, 4....'.

Good turn-out, great fun from start to finish. Here's a tune:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdVGr8m4vE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdVGr8m4vE[/url]

Had a bit of a party gig last night in Chester , The rythm guitar had a birthday so his mates came , the lead guitar is a teacher at a local school and loads of the teachers came , singers family came , drummers workmates all came , and a few of my mates came , so all in all it was real fun . I have to say though ,without the crowd we brought , the place would have been a sparce, we provided loads of posters but none were put up , they hadn't even bothered to chalk our name on the blackboard.