Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1332088067' post='1582993']
We had a keyboard player who did this, now long gone, maybe it's a boredom thing. But then why did they join the band in the first place?
[/quote]
Could be the £700 standard wedding fee we get..
I`m working on it. :)

We had a great gig. I just got back home from a gig at The Borough in Ilkeston, Derbyshire. We played pretty well (to say we've not had much rehearsal time to say the least) yet we got 3 encores and went down a storm! They normally get the proverbial "one man and his dog" in on a Thursday so we wasn't expecting anyone would turn up, but we pulled about 50 in which was great for a Thursday.....so i'm a happy chappie, the venue was happy, and the punters had a good night which is what it's all about. B)

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1332169402' post='1584188']
still trying to grow into being a front man as well as the bass player but getting there.
[/quote]

well done for having the confidence to be the focal point. Something I struggle with.

Just got back from being on tour with Paul Weller, supporting him at The Roundhouse in Camden. Whole week was a blast and such a wonderful venue. The entire crew were so helpful and friendly and looked after us no end. A few celebs were there over the course of the week including Noal Gallagher, Bobby Gillespie to name a few but the best was Jay from Inbetweeners. So wanted to say clunge but probably very un-original. Anyway, the EBS Reidmar 250 and Classic 112 was simply awsome. Here are a few piccies.

Just played first gig with my new band 'All The Queens Ravens' at the Hootananny in Brixton, a fantastic, lively multi-cultural venue. We did a 40 minute set and I played all but one song. We got a great reception from the typically-big big crowd at the Hootananny and the rest of the band were really chuffed. Still buzzing! Good thing the adrenaline kicked in as I flew in to UK this morning from Brazil and am very jet-lagged B)

Charity gig and things were a bit chaotic so didn't get a proper soundcheck.
We thought it would be ok as we have used the P.A guys before, but it wasn't....so even though it was for a good cause,
I will not be at all keen to make that mistake again set-up wise.
It went ok.... but that is not really the point, it could have been better.
I don't you should take these chances for ticketed affairs..even if that was for charity.

Just got back from our first working mens club gig for years. We normally do pubs.

Had Bingo
Then us for 45mins
Then more Bingo
Then us again

And guess what, I won a game of bingo, made me an extra £32.50p on top of the £70 I got for the gig. :D Not exactly rock and roll, but if you can't beat them, join them.

We went down really well, us that is, not the Bingo, all the grannies went home after the Bingo finished. And we had a great second set with a packed dance floor.

Just back from a regular pub gig that was elevated to ledgend as Derek - a big friend of our band - had his 50th birthday do there. We had him on stage , all wearing Derek masks , presented him with an honorary 'doctorate' making him the fourth member of the band etc. We even had his mum up singing. Brilliant night and a pleasure to be involved in his party.

Home now - coffee , crunchy nut cornflakes , and watching catch up TV - the thing about John Bishop's Paris to London trek. What an enormous pair that guy has. I've never seen a man so knackered. I keep thinking Walliams has made a monster with his channel swim. One day some celeb will push it too far and drop dead. I thought Mr Bishop might halfway across the channel - just totally gone.

Ours was pretty good, people were up and dancing, one of the most receptive crowds we've ever had. Some that had seen us a few times before were joining in with the chorus to one of the songs - first time I've heard a bunch of people singing something I'd written, made my night :).

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1332660404' post='1591174']
Ours was pretty good, people were up and dancing, one of the most receptive crowds we've ever had. Some that had seen us a few times before were joining in with the chorus to one of the songs - first time I've heard a bunch of people singing something I'd written, made my night :).
[/quote]

It's really flattering when they do that innit? Of course some people say I deliberatly court that sort of response by writing hooky choruses that go 'Oooooo Oooooo'... ;)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332660844' post='1591178']
It's really flattering when they do that innit? Of course some people say I deliberatly court that sort of response by writing hooky choruses that go 'Oooooo Oooooo'... ;)
[/quote]

Sounds good to me (and them obviously).

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1332530192' post='1589758']
Just got back from being on tour with Paul Weller, supporting him at The Roundhouse in Camden. Whole week was a blast and such a wonderful venue. The entire crew were so helpful and friendly and looked after us no end. A few celebs were there over the course of the week including Noal Gallagher, Bobby Gillespie to name a few but the best was Jay from Inbetweeners. So wanted to say clunge but probably very un-original. Anyway, the EBS Reidmar 250 and Classic 112 was simply awsome. Here are a few piccies.

[/quote]

Glad they went well Michael. Must have been a fantastic week for you. Its nice that things are going well now.
Ill be ordering a copy of the album when i get paid this week.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1332550180' post='1590080']
Just played first gig with my new band 'All The Queens Ravens' at the Hootananny in Brixton, a fantastic, lively multi-cultural venue. We did a 40 minute set and I played all but one song. We got a great reception from the typically-big big crowd at the Hootananny and the rest of the band were really chuffed. Still buzzing! Good thing the adrenaline kicked in as I flew in to UK this morning from Brazil and am very jet-lagged B)
[/quote]

Nice one Clarky, seems like the new band are keeping busy.

Another gig with my covers band and a weird one. First the gig was in the late afternoon starting at 6.00 and finishing just after 8.0 so I was back home just before 9.00. It's a regular slot on Sundays at the pub and consequently the regular audience doesn't turn up until just before the first set, which means that until 5.55 the venue is pretty much deserted and we're stood around thinking that the gig is going to be a disaster.

Secondly both our singer and drummer have been ill (which had affected last week's gig) and while our singer was much better and up for doing most of the songs we had to drop last time, our drummer still wasn't anything like 100%. His timing which isn't brilliant at the best of times was very dodgy - the faster songs kept slowing down and for anything with a pause and a drum fill I just had to guess where the next down beat was going to be. The first set was dire as a result and I wasn't really enjoying myself. However lots of the audience said nice things about my bass playing and sound during the interval, so I had another beer, dialled in a bit more dirt on my amp and rocked out for the second set dragging the drummer along with me. That was a lot more fun!

Just got an email this morning from the drummer apologising for the terrible playing and mentioning that the landlord had offered us the New Years eve gig! (WTF? - suppose none of the really good bands that he has on wanted it?). Still undecided about my future with this band. The drummer isn't that bad, it's just that I've spent most of my time in bands with either a drum machine or absolutely brilliant drummers. The drummer from Dick Venom & The Terrortones always gets compliments for his playing and he makes me sound good as a result. The drummer from the band I was in before that spent several years working as a session player in Nashville... I'm just not used to playing when the rhythm isn't spot on all the time and therefore I'm having difficulties locking in with this drummer.

Comeback gig for the covers band on saturday, and first EVER gig for the singer. She never even sang with a band before joining ours, and never using a mike and PA...
Anyway, it went down an absolute storm, perfect mixture of pop, motown, funk and rock from all eras. We had to go back on and play a couple of half rehearsed numbers (You oughta know, fantastic space for an aggressive funk bassline BTW) to satisfy the punters, and then again to redo a couple of earlier numbers. Walked away with enquiries for two charity and a wedding gig :)

TC RH450 and the two fender cabs performed great with the aerodyne P, great overall sound in the mix. Happy days.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1332749338' post='1592321']
Glad they went well Michael. Must have been a fantastic week for you. Its nice that things are going well now.
Ill be ordering a copy of the album when i get paid this week.

[/quote]

Cheers Dave, yes it was quite amazing. Cheers for buying the album at the end of the month. Would love to get some feedback from you once you have listened to it. Going to send you a PM later also :)

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1332638675' post='1591129']
Just got back from our first working mens club gig for years. We normally do pubs.

Had Bingo
Then us for 45mins
Then more Bingo
Then us again

We went down really well, us that is, not the Bingo, all the grannies went home after the Bingo finished. And we had a great second set with a packed dance floor.
[/quote]

Played very much the same gig Saturday night, except I didn't win the bingo, the grannies didn't go home and there was no dance floor. Big stage, good to have plenty of room, the downside was the tone-sapping nature of the stage and the space. Struggled with EQ all night, although on reflection I probably shouldn't have used the new Dingwall without at least trying it out at a rehearsal first: it was very different (but in a good way) and nice to play, but I need to work on my rig at rehearsals this week.

Disappointing... First gig in Sheffield for Dick Venom & The Terrortones at the South Sea.

Nice Venue, decent sized stage efficient PA and the people running it were all very pleasant. However it didn't seem particularly well organised or publicised. The total audience that wasn't other band members or venue staff can't have been more the 20 and most of them appeared to have come to see us. The last band on who very kindly supplied the bass rig ended up playing to us and 2 other people. Not good.

Just looked at their (very confusing) Facebook page. Until late yesterday afternoon there was no mention of last night's gig anywhere AFAICS.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1332750671' post='1592345']
Another gig with my covers band and a weird one. First the gig was in the late afternoon starting at 6.00 and finishing just after 8.0 so I was back home just before 9.00. It's a regular slot on Sundays at the pub and consequently the regular audience doesn't turn up until just before the first set, which means that until 5.55 the venue is pretty much deserted and we're stood around thinking that the gig is going to be a disaster.
[/quote]

Sounds like the Air Hostess at Tollerton. Played there myself in the past, it does seem like a weird time slot especially when its sunny outside. Bit of a pokey little room as well but had some good gigs there.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1333109739' post='1597522']
Sounds like the Air Hostess at Tollerton. Played there myself in the past, it does seem like a weird time slot especially when its sunny outside. Bit of a pokey little room as well but had some good gigs there.
[/quote]

Yes it was. It's the local for one of the guitarists, hence the gig. It's been done up recently and the layout changed so the drums setup in front of the fireplace rather than trying to squeeze in between the bench seats. Still pretty bizarre and the early time slot doesn't make things any less weird.