Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Rather mixed one last night. Played a tiny venue as a stripped down band with backing tapes and with a dep drummer we had never rehearsed with - he was inches away from me, was extremely "busy" so that I couldn't hear the backing tracks and monitor issues meant others couldn't always hear the tapes. So a couple of tracks turned into right horlicks :( Funnily enough I don't think the audience noticed but I found it a bit of a downer as rehearsals had gone very well. Thankfully we did a cracking version of 'St James Infirmary' as encore which went brilliantly and had the audience dancing. So a good end to a rather iffy gig.

I also played with a dep drummer last night - first time we'd done a gig with her. She was fantastic - incredibly professional. I did my best to signal all the stops, slow downs etc. to her, but to be honest she was on it all after just one rehearsal. She does a lot of work including a regular gig with Herbie Flowers, so I tried not to show myself up! :D

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1324204484' post='1471675']

You know the rules John, pics or it didn't happen :-)
[/quote]

I know, I know... Dave, but I couldn't get the camera out so as not to look like even more of a perv on the night... :lol: :lol:

Will see if I can get find anything on Facebook

Not too bad. At a tiny pub about half a mile from my house (as the crow flies) but my journey there was a 40+ mile round trip to drop MrsW off at one of her old school chums house to their annual Christmas party, and he same after to collect her (and get a bit of scoff). So for a gig that I was packed up and away from by 11:50 I didn't get home 'til nearly 3. Started quiet but picked up fairly well.

Americana/country (poppy) band last night, and with one thing & another we had not got together since the previous gig 2-3 months ago, added to which my USB stick with the bulk of the songs to practice to on is with the drummer in my main band so was clawing for memories of how a few things went, but we got there.

Not sure what is happening with this lot next year, which is a shame as it's nice to be doing a few different styles to mix it up, but three more bands on the go (some more regular than others) I should be reasonably busy next year anyway.

Wal all night again, bar one on the L2500 fretless (mainly 'cos that was Black Velvet in the original Eb so I had the fretless detuned for it). Was pleasantly surprised that the rig still sounded good rolled back quite a bit for the size of the venue.

Played the Wheatsheaf in Preston on Friday night. A bloody big pub, but very well attended (for the pub, not us ;), which is reassuring as the pub trade is struggling at the moment. Because the pub is big, it felt as though you were lost in there as a band.

Anyway it was one of those gigs were it felt a bit detached from the audience, so i enjoyed it from the point of view of being with my friends, but not from doing the gig. Funnily enough, the crowd suddenly livened up at the end of the night, and some good banter started to happen, which made it worthwhile in the end. Even though it felt as though I was going through the motions at some points. Interestingly enough we got rebooked for April next year.

Did the gig on my VM Jag SS, all of it using the p-bass pup, which is rare for me, but the jazz pup just sounded well harsh in the venue. It was also one of those venues were I drove the Promethen quite hardy but it still delivered like a trooper. God I love my amp :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1324217769' post='1471891']
Had an awesome weekend of gigging.
Used my EBS Reidmar with just a single 1x10 for both shows and it sounded fantastic with no pa support.

Happy days :)
[/quote]

This EBS stuff is on my list of buys. Just not sure to go for 2 x Classic 110 or 2 x Classic 112.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1324237207' post='1472186']

This EBS stuff is on my list of buys. Just not sure to go for 2 x Classic 110 or 2 x Classic 112.
[/quote]

I was initially going to go for two 110's but they only had one in stock so went for one of each. Im pretty happy I did actually, they sound really good together and are both great on their own so if your really tight on space, the extra inch on the 110 can make a difference!!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1324237872' post='1472192']
I was initially going to go for two 110's but they only had one in stock so went for one of each. Im pretty happy I did actually, they sound really good together and are both great on their own so if your really tight on space, the extra inch on the 110 can make a difference!!
[/quote]

So whats the difference tonally between the 10" speaker and the 12" speaker?

Played at a Christmas Party for a really big international company on Saturday. Superb venue, fantastic food (7 different types of curry!), cheap bar, coaches provided for the attendees, my band (!), what more could you want? Not a lot I'm sure, but the organizer had[u] loads[/u] of trouble selling tickets, because, get this, the company had the cheek to ask their employees for a £5 contribution towards the cost (thats for everything, food, dance, coach, raffle, etc)! The Union rep even got involved and tried to get management to pay those that werent going the equivalent cost of the subsidized part of the ticket each. What the hell is wrong with people nowadays?

For those that went, it was a great night though.......

• 2 weeks later...

Did The Adelphi in Hull last night. Our keyboard player Graham Beck did a spot with our drummer Martin Hyde - including a daft swing version of 21st Century Schizoid Man. Excellent. :lol: Also included was a song about the worst waxworks museum in the country, which is in Yarmouth apparently. <_<

Also there were 'Happy Endings' a fantastic acoustic trio - normally four of them, but one is laid low after being hit by a car. :( . Think female version of Turin Brakes, with a male bass player Dan who played a gorgeous sounding acoustic bass guitar. Sublime harmonies and a cut above the usual.

Fear of Bicycles were last on and we tried out mixing poetry - local poet called Andy Fletcher - with improvised music for a couple of tracks. It actually worked :o. This was also the first outing for the new bass and it sounded brilliant, so well chuffed there.

Had a great gig at The Powderhall Arms in Edinburgh, which is quickly turning into a real 'blues bar', with the Blue Hyenas. We'd never played together before as a band, so we just jammed the night away (it could have been a disaster) but from listening to the end result you'd have thought we'd been gigging together for years as it was one of those nights where we all just 'clicked'.
Went to bed with a smile on my face and look forward to many more Blue Hyena gigs to come.

Well that was a lot of fun - played a little country pub for New Year's Eve, middle of nowhere. Band set up in the conservatory and a disco was set up in a marquee. Set up nice and early, then the punters started arriving. We were expecting locals, friends and family but this lot were arriving in minibuses from Eastbourne and Hailsham. 300 of them, all young enough to be our children/grandchildren!! The girls all looked like they were fresh off The Only Way is Essex. Played the first set to about 8 people including the drummer and guitarist's partners. Second set however, we got a crowd of kids rocking away to Creedence, Stones and Dylan and some serious school disco smooching going on to the slowies at the end! Great to win over a crowd like that :)

Played a 'VIP' New Years Eve party over in Wantage....wasn't actually any VIP's but you know how they like to market these things.
Getting paid 'bare paper' to play music with my friends, have my sizable buy-out paid for by the management, then see in the new year having a silly dance with said band members....love it :)

Si

Social club. Inside fire escape like the stairs from the Exorcist , times by two.
Concert chairman, as we are about to go on stage, " My Dad just died and I've found out today my wife has cancer,.anyway, .enjoy yourselves"

He was pi**ed by 7. 30.

I love the working men's clubs, me!

Got there early as I had been told 1st set 8:30. Only one guitaris there so we ended up not getting on 'til 8:50.

The "disco" was a TV blasting out HeartFM

Drummer turned up with one ex and another was there as well...which was awkward. Funnily enough he was packed and out the door in about 20 mins after we finished.

All right I 'spose. Played OK but not a huge turnout so a quiet affair.

MrsW was clinging on at the bongs to avoid a kiss from the local scary monsters :lol:

Still. Local(ish). In and out reasonably quickly and home by 1:30 with a reasonable wedge, so it's not all bad

Usual wine bar residency. turn up at 8.30 after picking up the singer and her cousin(you don`t mind do you? Not out of your way is it?) Yes it bloody was.
Drummer who usually uses a Roland TD something kit, has a full accoustic kit.
So I have about 14" between his crash cymbal stand and the keyboard player. Everytime I moved I hit my bass on the stand or my right elbow on the keyboard.Bt Back is pressed hard against my bass cab.
Ysual unrehearsed poor intros and furious shakes of head by said drummer to "Keep going" when the end of a song approached.
He refuses to add another 3 songs to the set and insists we stretch out all the others. This leads to confusion and boredom on my part.
It was the new singers first gig and she did OK, I supplied a music stand so she could crib some lyrics if needed.she needed.
Drummer starts the countdown after a panicky "have you got the time??"
The count went "10,9,...6,5,no wait!... erm 5,4,3,2, happy new year!"
A drummer that can`t count? Surely not.
I didn`t enoy it really, and missed the company of people I liked.
Got out of there asap after collecting cash and tearing the now seriously pissed singer and singers cousin away from the bar where they were chucking back shots of Grey Dove vodka. (no, it`s ok, don`t mind me waiting here an all that..)
I was supposed to go join some friends at a late bar but I wasn`t in a good mood and I had all my gear in the car etc. Went home downed two rather large Vodka and cokes and went to bed.
The glamour.
I just hope I don`t spend the fee too quickly :D

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1325427486' post='1483010']I just hope I don`t spend the fee too quickly :D[/quote]
I'd spent mine before I got there :rolleyes:

Had one song where the drummer said "I don't know it" - Peaceful Easy Feeling. "Don't worry it's a straight 4" says I. So off we go, then I remember the stop part way through, so there's some mouthing of "there's a stop coming up" "after the lead break" "aaaaaaand now....2 3 4" nod

...and noone died :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

We played our first gig at the Brickmakers, in Norwich (well known local music pub). First time we've had access to a plumbed in PA and professional soundman, plus a massive stage. Hell, the drummer and I had one whole level to ourselves, with the guitars and singer on a lower step. The on-stage sound was excellent.

The pub uses the Tuesday slot to try bands out before granting them better gig slots. We had several comments that we were the best band to play on a Tuesday for ages, that there were more people there than usual (friends and colleagues, presumably!) and others of the same ilk, which was nice. We've been offered three more gigs, which is even nicer!

I played my Corvette $$ through my Orange Bass Terror (volume and gain on a quarter and it was the loudest thing I could hear on my bit of stage. And I even played a song I always muck up in practice completely cleanly the whole way through.

A good night. Well pleased.

Quote of the day from one of our guitarists "Why does everyone have to look at us when we're on stage". He'd prefer to play from behind a curtain!

Gig at The White Hart Tap, in St Albans, with The Tuesday Club.

Went well, though the area the bands play in is very cramped, and there are 8 of us. as such, we play in columns, rather than standing across stage area. Put in a couple of new ones we`d been working on, and both were very well received.

Our music goes from downright catchy to downright weird, and you could see that the audience, whilst they liked the weird stuff, had no point of reference, so it was a kindof "I like it, but I don`t know why" sortof thing.

And following it up with another gig this eve, again in St Albans.

Did our first fully pa'd up (I.e not just a vocal pa in the pub corner) type venue gig last weekend.
This is with my band 'MyDesign' with me on guitar/vocals. (badly!!) and basschatter Davemuadib on bass.
We had such a blast and I was so pleased it translated well to a larger stage. I was worried our bantery, party vibe might not stand up as a proper 'show'.
But this review came through and I'm dead pleased. Some good pics too.

Review from the latest 2pigs show:
My Design @ 2Pigs 4/01/12

After much deliberation and recommendations, I went along to see My Design at the 2 Pigs Cheltenham. As soon as I walked in the door, the crowd were grooving on down to some childhood songs with a twist! The ability this band have to make some ‘cheese’ songs their own is astonishing and I found myself bopping along to a new version of ‘Saturday Night’ along with some smooth dance moves in the middle of Cheltenham’s only alternative club! The atmosphere was tangible; the smiles and vibes were intoxicating. What a way to christen the 2 Pigs new décor!

With songs such as; Total Eclipse of the Heart, Prodigy-Breathe, Spice up your Life and Wannabe, the range and technique had me burning calories until I looked like a Supermodel! The band not only brings viewers into the music, but they have you singing along to secret guilty pleasures you would never admit to knowing such as Britney Spears.

After immersing myself in the crowd and asking opinions, the response was fantastic with comments such as; ‘Who can say they have seen people moshing to Tiffany’s I Think We’re Alone Now’! And ‘How many bands can cater to everyone’s music taste and have them all dancing along and getting involved’ Also, there was a call for them to cover some Bon Jovi!

The art of musicality and stage presence were undeniably present at this gig and My Design didn’t even have any support acts. They managed a complete 1.5/2 hour gig with only a 5 minute break! They did have a guest singer, Susannah Moffat who helped them to sing Katy Perry’s 'I kissed a girl', Shakespeare's sisters 'Stay' and Lady Gaga’s 'Poker Face'. I was taken on a thrilling ride and I certainly didn’t want to get off.
At the end of the night I spoke to Gaf, Lead guitar and vocals, to find out that the band started up as a joke, and he has only been playing lead guitar for 6 months as he was originally a bassist.
All I can say is I can’t wait to see what My Design comes up with next.

The 2 pigs have an awesome way of putting gigs together making them friendly for everyone. With some new paint, improved floor and smiling staff, you can relax and feel at home at the 2 Pigs. The refurbishment is close to being finished and looking fantastic!

Little Red, MtM Radio

....'originally a bassist' ... Lol. :)

[IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/c7b4ae6d.jpg[/IMG]

Absolutely fantastic!

So completely different to the debacle that we ended 2011 on, our fist gig of 2012 was everything we could have hoped for. Up in Newcastle for the Meow Club who always give us a great welcome, they'd pulled out all the stops and organised a great gig at the Cluny. Decent sized stage and good sound both FoH and foldback, and best of all a big audience hungry for some Terrortone madness.

Loads of compliments for the [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/terrortones]video[/url] and then even more for our live performance. Pretty much everyone said that we blew the headlining band off stage. Just what you want to hear! It's gigs like this that make the long journeys and hanging around waiting to setup/soundcheck/play worthwhile. Tired but happy when we got back to Nottingham at 4.00 this morning.