Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Second gig of the weekend last night. I was the bassplayer in the backing group for singer-songwriter Gill Battison.
The gig, promoting her CD 'Journey' was at the Beeston Free Church. This is modern building right by the Nottingham University campus. So far, so normal. What made it different was that it was a 'ladies only' event. So apart from 3 of us in the band and the soundman, the other 200+ were female. It was rather strange, but not unpleasant! At least there was no queue for the Gents at the interval....
All went well apart from Gill launching off into one of her songs in a different key to the one we'd practised. All part of the job :)

My Barefaced Bigone on a Gamma Pad made a very satisfying sound. :)

Played a dadrock set in a pub for a band I auditioned for a few weeks back who needed two gigs covering.
The standard was fairly shocking but their exuberance covered for a large part of that.
Luckily the punters were very drunk and seemed to think we were good enough to dance to.
The cash went towards some bills.
One more gig for them and I`m out of there.
I`m beginning to think the only way to be in a band I`m happy with is to set up my own.

South West Music Awards last night - played to a full house including Phil Beer and Joss Stone. I think my most nerve-wracking gig to date, especially once I knew Phil Beer was in the audience... but they all applauded and nobody threw anything at us so I guess we got away with it :)

Joss Stone ignored me all night btw...

ficelles

Pub rock in Bourne End Fri night, brilliant night, although a slow start, everyone went into other bar..were we too loud?, could her/see em cheering and clapping over landlady's shoulder though, and they all piled in for the last half hour, lots of dancing and hi jinx, guest solo spot from a guy who sings in a funk band, was really chuffed to be able to belt out some rocky numbers, many cards exchanged, great night, and got another return booking :)

Absolutely F*cking AWESOME! We played at Club Academy in Manchester, supporting [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbX0t0Ydhic&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Boomin[/url] along with [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7PTfC2IR9Y&feature=related"]FindingEmo[/url] and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_gbUvFxMRs"]New Avenue[/url]. Perfect sound offstage, although i did have difficulty hearing myself, it went swimmingly well. Crowd were phenomenal, including a group who had travelled from Bristol to watch us. Boomin put on an amazing set, as they always do, involving "Supersoakers, Condoms and Masks" as they put it.

As a nice bonus, we were also loading out with the roadies for Lacuna Coil, as they were playing in Academy 2 and we had parked behind their tour bus.

Liam

My band "BigRoom" played the Victoria Hall in Dunblane last night with another band called "Main Street Blues".
Turnout was quite low with @50 folk turning up, but we & the other band had a great time!
We threw a couple of covers in there too. We did a rather slow spaced out version of Gnarles Barklay's Crazy, a Rockin version of Sunshine of your love & a funky version of Take me to the river & a whole load of originals too. Had some dancers & a good sound too (for being on a big wooden stage).

The Skimmitys supported the Wurzels at the Electric Palace in Bridport on Saturday night. Played to around 400 people and went down really well - I think we'll have a full house for our next Bridport pub gig!. The Wurzels were on great form too, especially considering the drummer's 79 years old. I hope I'll still be gigging when I'm 79....

Good gig at Soundhouse in Leicester tonight. with Never Means Maybe, Replicant and 4 Point Oh.

A smallish but appreciative crowd. Great energy on stage, I got a bit excited and my vocals went a bit shouty which was appropriate for the night.

Adrenaline is better than any drug I've ever tried.

Friday at Zanzibar in Liverpool was surprisingly quiet but we played well. Saturday at the Americana UK festival (we headlined the 2nd stage) was probably my favourite gig of the year - played well, great crowd etc. Sunday was a quiet wind down gig in Stratford which was enjoyable enough and we played pretty much everything, unveiling new songs too. A great weekend

New covers band, only practised a couple of times. We did a small support slot, 5 songs, at The Olive Branch in Barnstaple.

A very good first gig, we were all pleased and happy with it. The two main bands were quite young, 19 to 21, and so was most of the crowd therefore. Our few songs weren't really their cup of tea but we still went down very well. A glitch half way through the guitar solo of Rebel Yell actually did us a favour in a way, I think. The power to our amps cut out, our drummer kept going and did a sort of groovyish solo whilst we sorted out the problem, as soon as power was restored, about 30secs or so, we came right back in where we'd left off. We're thinking of keeping it in the set it went down really rather well :)

As all the others, apart from my singer who is the same age as me, were about half my age, I did say to her that I was probably the only one performing who carries indigestion tablets in his gig bag :)

A good time, hopefully there'll be quite a few more.

After coming back to playing in a band only a few short weeks ago, 6 to be exact. I played my second gig with them this afternoon, I say gig we only played 4 songs to open the show to turn on the Preston Christmas Lights. Biggest crowd Ive ever played to by far, id recon there was 2,000 plus!!!
But what an experience, absoluely loved it.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1321728804' post='1442545']
New covers band, only practised a couple of times. We did a small support slot, 5 songs, at The Olive Branch in Barnstaple.

A very good first gig, we were all pleased and happy with it. The two main bands were quite young, 19 to 21, and so was most of the crowd therefore. Our few songs weren't really their cup of tea but we still went down very well. A glitch half way through the guitar solo of Rebel Yell actually did us a favour in a way, I think. The power to our amps cut out, our drummer kept going and did a sort of groovyish solo whilst we sorted out the problem, as soon as power was restored, about 30secs or so, we came right back in where we'd left off. We're thinking of keeping it in the set it went down really rather well :)

As all the others, apart from my singer who is the same age as me, were about half my age, I did say to her that I was probably the only one performing who carries indigestion tablets in his gig bag :)

[/quote]

Top job Marvin :)

Excellent gig, felt back in the groove after being pretty disillusioned with the band and where it's going etc. It just clicked and I loved it all over again.

'Twas scarred only by the fact that not one of the three bass playeers who loaned my rig making any attempt to say thanks for the loan after playing. Not even any eye contact. :) I'm being precious, but it riles me.

Not unusual either to see that two of the three other bands p*ssed off after playing. Toads. I take the view you can always learn something abut your playing and your music by watching any live music that's on offer. Rant done. :)

First gig last night with my new Band and also first gig with my 73 P Bass and Markbass/Epifani rig. It all sounded great and I had a few compliments about my sound :)

Everything went really well and we had a reasonably large appreciative crowd and lots of dancers too. It's a shame they were all under the age of 6, but it has given us an idea of branching out in to Kids Parties :)

All in all a good day

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1321728804' post='1442545']

[/quote]

This sounds much more like it. Excellent. :)

A couple of weeks ago, my old club band got in touch to say they'd had a falling out with their bassist, and could I help out? So I said yes, and went along for a couple of rehearsals. They'd recently amalgamated with a female vocalist, so as to speak, who had brought along two further female backing vocalists.

Then on Thursday night, two days before the first gig, a keyboard player who had seen an advert they'd put up also turned up for rehearsal - very good he was too, also plays with Steve Gibbons and Trevor Burton and the like.

So our first gig was last night (though we were down one backing vocalist as she was otherwise engaged) at a WMC local to me, and it went really well. Some fluffs but the audience didn't seem to notice. It was also the other backing vocalist's first gig and she acquitted herself really well, taking lead vocals on a couple of songs. It's always a good sign when the club secretary comes up to you in the interval and says he'll give you more bookings for next year.

Played at Chester at Chesterfield on Friday night, we went down very well. It was the first gig I'd used my new amp, an Ashdown Labs MK500. It's the bright red Mark King signature thingy. I played my Status S2 six string bass, and the amp brought the bass alive, incredible tone. The amp was set flat with zero EQ, just the tone from the bass, awesome. Bass amp GAS killed in one.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1321868508' post='1443764']
sh*t Tom, that`s appalling.
Mither the promoter for expenses till he`s sick to death of you, plus get a repeat booking.
[/quote]

Our bassist is handling it, although I think he may have gone overboard on Facebook. I'm not signed up there so can't check. He runs a very successful venue in Stoke so has a lot of contacts etc. I think he wants to ruin their reputation.