Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Should I be upset at the effect this ^^ could have on my mental health..? Hmm... :/

Sorry if it did. To be fair I have no knowledge if it might have and so I have deleted it.

Tho,respectfully, I do agree with your choice to not post the The Apostrophe Police as I feel it beings no value to BC and might cause harm to others.

My view is that here on BC, as in 'real' life, we should be mindful and considerate of others; we do not know their situation.

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The question 'Does Humour belong in Music..?' has its answer here. No bullying; I can't know the status of every BC member, and I dish these out randomly (so fairly...) whenever the mood takes me, whoever has blundered. It's usually only the predictive typing at 'fault' anyway, but the poster has not read through his/her copy to spot these little things. No kittens die, the sun rises the next day with or without my tiny joke, but, as it seems to offend so many folk maybe I'll sit it out for a while.
Have fun, y'all, bunch of grumpusses that you seem to be. I'm sorry that the lighter side of Life has not come across for you as I would have hoped. Never mind...  :friends: Peace.

Your joke was funny the first few times, now it's not because you've told it too many times.  That doesn't make me a grumpus.  That makes you lacking in material.

Peace.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Could be argued that it is the repetition that makes it funnier. 

Really, folks, get some perspective.  To claim that Douglas's gentle joke highlighting a punctuation error is bullying is beyond ridiculous.  

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry, no gig last night (again...). We have (maybe; to be confirmed...) been asked to play at La Fête de la Musique, June 21st, so my next post will be the 22nd (maybe; to be confirmed...). :|

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

The question 'Does Humour belong in Music..?' has its answer here. No bullying; I can't know the status of every BC member, and I dish these out randomly (so fairly...) whenever the mood takes me, whoever has blundered. It's usually only the predictive typing at 'fault' anyway, but the poster has not read through his/her copy to spot these little things. No kittens die, the sun rises the next day with or without my tiny joke, but, as it seems to offend so many folk maybe I'll sit it out for a while.
Have fun, y'all, bunch of grumpusses that you seem to be. I'm sorry that the lighter side of Life has not come across for you as I would have hoped. Never mind...  :friends: Peace.

You've caught me with the same post and i just had to laugh. Even if i did get it wrong its' not the end of t' world:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Thanks 1

Anyway not a great weekend for gigs. Sundays charity event cancelled due to a lack of interest (they didn't advertise it while the organiser was in hospital) and now tonight's gig cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Oh well unpacked the car and get the feet up wie a nice hot coffee watching Guns of Navarone ......... again. 

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 28/04/2024 at 18:59, woodyratm said:

Afterwards, I got complimented on my playing, my tone, my bass and my LEDs 😂

So - we got the video back of the gig. The mix on the live stream was pretty rough... literally can't hear me at all. However... aforementioned LEDs might be a little bright... 🤣

IMG_6812.jpeg

IMG_6811.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

A mixed bag tonight at the Chadwell Arms in Essex. Set 1 was riddled with issues, which we realised was down to the singist’s radio mic interfering with my wireless. It’s happened before when we’ve rehearsed in a smaller room and the pub was pretty intimate tonight.

I wired up for set 2 and it was a million times better. The small crowd loved us, the pay was good and we’ve got a few adds on social media and some pledges to come see us at other local gigs. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Last nights gig for me was absolutely amazing. It was a sort of open night in a beautiful venue called The Mill in Elstead. Backline is provided and 5 bands played, each getting about 25 minutes each. The sound is amazing and it's super intimate with a really appreciative audience of music lovers and musicians. We play very stripped back, heartfelt singer songwriter stuff with lyrics personal to the singer. I'm on fretless creating some ambience and our drummer is very chilled and percussive.

The first song is very atmospheric and as soon as I started playing, our singer said the two young girls sitting in front me who were about 16, their jaw's hit the floor. They'd never heard fretless and I had reverb and chorus and apparently they couldn't take their eyes off my playing. Mid way through the song, I get a sort of instrumental lead part and as soon as I go into it, the lady at the table whoops and shouts out, 'woah, go the bass player'. When I finish my little piece, the whole place applauds 😮 I've never had that and it was very much like what happens at a Jazz gig. Anyway, we play a blinder and we even had some of the audience in tears by how the singer had captured them with his lyrics. We get to the last song and we are improvising massively and our singer got the who room singing followed by a standing ovation 😁

Afterwards, we got a tonne of compliments and it turns out the lady who shouted 'go bass player' used to be a singer back in her day and one of the two girls was her daughter who is a singer songwriter. Her husband was also there and after chatting to him, it turns out he's a Jazz trumpeter 😎

What a amazing night and just makes it all worthwhile 😁

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 27

Nada! Just bedroom player now or with a friend in rehersal room. But when we had concerts, it was great if we had a setliat practice before a gig or pretty crap if not 😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Last night's gig, as usual, pretty good for the band, not very for me. They appear oblivious to what's going on and what should be going on. Drummer all over the place with tempos, guitard too loud,  Vocalist needs a couple of lessons.

Add this to a beautiful old pub that has unfortunately been adopted by every socially dysfunctional t-w-a-t in the town. Most were already pi**ed when I arrived at 8pm. Women even more scary than the men, language you wouldn't believe inside and outside the pub and the obligatory drunk bell-end that informs our female vocalist that he is going to marry her as she's "fu**ing gawjus"

I'm too old to spend my time doing stuff like this with people like this. Bandmates are all lovely people but I'll play the remainder of the booked gigs and then bow out graciously. It may even fall to bits before then as the guitarist seems to be joining a third band anyway.

Musically speaking, it's been a big disappointment after my time in France so, time to retire methinks.

Edited by leschirons
  • Sad 14

2 hours ago, leschirons said:

Last night's gig, as usual, pretty good for the band, not very for me. They appear oblivious to what's going on and what should be going on. Drummer all over the place with tempos, guitard too loud,  Vocalist needs a couple of lessons.

Add this to a beautiful old pub that has unfortunately been adopted by every socially dysfunctional t-w-a-t in the town. Most were already pi**ed when I arrived at 8pm. Women even more scary than the men, language you wouldn't believe inside and outside the pub and the obligatory drunk bell-end that informs our female vocalist that he is going to marry her as she's "fu**ing gawjus"

I'm too old to spend my time doing stuff like this with people like this. Bandmates are all lovely people but I'll play the remainder of the booked gigs and then bow out graciously. It may even fall to bits before then as the guitarist seems to be joining a third band anyway.

Musically speaking, it's been a big disappointment after my time in France so, time to retire methinks.

Happy with my band but I know what you mean about some audiences. I reported on here that our last wedding gig had been a roaring success, but when my wife and I reviewed the footage from the little Dji camera we put up for making content we found 4 or 5 of the guests leaving various lewd suggestions directly for us, spitting their drinks on it, then one guy tried to roundhouse it, falling spectacularly on the floor. If it wasn’t disrespectful to the clients and venue we’d post it and go ‘See, this is why we want a decent fee, this is what we have to put up with’

• Sad 6

Posted (edited)

Landed back from hols at sparrow’s fart. Bit of a nap then lock and load.

A couple of ‘how does this go again’ moments to start but woke up and cleared ‘flight throat’ for backing vox and overall a great fun night as ever at a small but appreciative pub 🤘😁

I still need to get things sorted with the IEM feed as something doesn’t seem quite right. I should be getting pre-fade, but I’m not convinced that I am. I set my mix, and then it changes leading me to suspect I’m getting post.

i also need to get a damn sight fitter and shed a few stone!!!! New bike due I a week or so so I must get on it regularly!

IMG_1324.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

Edited by WalMan
Get rid of an empty spoiler alert
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe you just need to find a different band?

I'm finding it difficult to meet people here with the same musical taste and mindset.  Not sure the venues exist for laid back jazzy influenced stuff, which is what I'd like to do. Seems to be Blues or pub rock all around.

I guess that's what most folks want but unfortunately not what I want to play. I also think that I'm slowly losing interest in music full stop.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, leschirons said:

I'm finding it difficult to meet people here with the same musical taste and mindset.  Not sure the venues exist for laid back jazzy influenced stuff, which is what I'd like to do. Seems to be Blues or pub rock all around.

There is a lot of that sort of thing - I have spent a lot of time avoiding blues groups and everything. i am in a pub rock band and that is ok, but it wouldn't be my first choice, and there isn't a lot of what I want to do around, but there are people who want to do different stuff, and maybe you just specifically have to look for them.

Get the music sorted and then maybe the venue comes later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leschirons said:

I guess that's what most folks want but unfortunately not what I want to play. I also think that I'm slowly losing interest in music full stop.

Sorry to hear you feel like that Keith. There are some similarly minded musicians around in the area though. I’ve come across a few of them. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept up with them because I am not in that league as a musician. That’s why I am still doing blues and covers bands 😀. I am sure if you keep looking you are going to find them. I’ll keep my ear to the ground and pass on the details of any that I come across.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Sorry to hear you feel like that Keith. There are some similarly minded musicians around in the area though. I’ve come across a few of them. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept up with them because I am not in that league as a musician. That’s why I am still doing blues and covers bands 😀. I am sure if you keep looking you are going to find them. I’ll keep my ear to the ground and pass on the details of any that I come across.

Thanks Pat, much appreciated but I should elaborate a little, based on your reply. 

Firstly, it's not that Blues or pub rock is, nor has to be,  any less demanding for a bass player than any other genre. It's just that I don't want to play it. Regarding standard of musicianship, in my case, I'm certainly no more than your average, intermediate player but,  I'd like to be playing with people where I don't have to worry about their performance in addition to mine and, who also like the same music.

Your reply also suggests that you're in a blues band or doing covers because you think that's what your ability limits you to. Having heard and seen you play on a few occasions, I would argue that you seriously underrate your ability. You have a great sound, you're seriously tight and, because you have confidence in those on stage with you, you enjoy what you're doing and, make it look easy.

Edited by leschirons
  • Like 3