Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

The Rebbels played The Cock Inn in Warminster last night. We have not played together for about a month and in the meantime I have had the nasty bug that is going around and could not pick up the bass for long periods. I admit it was a trial and not one of our best although the audience loved it.

The room was hard floors throughout and the sound was a bit bass light initially. My rig was LFSys Monza 10, with a Bugera Head fed from my Marcus Miller M2 via the Zoom B2-4. As the bass has active electronics, I was able to push a little low end to get to where I wanted to be. It was a struggle for me, especially second half, but I got through with a few more pink torpedo ups than usually. Despite all this they want us back....

To top off a hard night, the rain was biblical and a 1 hour 10 minute journey home took closer to two hours with the road of Wiltshire and Dorset trying desperately, in cahoots with the rain, to aquaplane me into a ditch/hedge. Maybe it will not be raining next time1

• Like 13

We played third out of 4 bands at The Herdsman in Hereford last night...

First band up were ANoise, who do a sort of dance-punk craziness with lots of bizarre costume changes... Lots of fun, though unfortunately only about 6 people had come in by then.

image.thumb.png.500d8b8e9a352555e55f796daed511c5.png

Then it was MC16, who do an excellent agit-punk thing - highly recommended (but no pix, though we're playing with them again next week near Telford).

Then it was us - luckily I'd brought my Big Amp (1500W!) so I could be heard, which is always nice cos it's all about me 😁. We had the biggest crowd, either because somehow we have fans or, more likely, we had the best time slot. And actually, rather than muttering about how rubbish we were or shouting "Oi, flash w4nkr!" if we dared to play above the 5th fret, someone came up and said I played like Les Claypool! I suspect he must have been very, very drunk. And we are also now officially a covers band, as our other bass player suddenly started playing RATM's "Bullet to the Head" and then our encore was our Cameo/Penetration mash-up of "Don't Dictate"... Headline band were Last Tree Squad who do a ReggaeRapPunk thing and are proper groovy, though I only saw one of their songs due to having to get my ancient self to bed ready for work at sparrow's in the morning...

• Like 10

17 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

TONIGHT!
More of a concert than a gig... depped with Tamworth Wind Band in a church in Tamworth.
Lovely bunch of folks, really nice vibe, good players and appreciative of me standing in.
They'd commissioned the ex principal director of music at the RAF (!) to write a piece celebrating Tamworth (!) especially for the band, so we rehearsed/workshopped it with him in the day and performed the **World Premiere** at the concert.
He's a phenomenal musician, he picked up and pointed out loads of tiny little things that really elevated it. Lovely bloke as well.

It's not often you get to perform a world premiere in Tamworth... I certainly don't.

There was about fifty of us, so it was a fantastic sound.
The tuba player was playing an absolutely beautiful old horn- I don't know much about tubas but I'd guess it was a BBb Conn 20J with a recording bell made in the Elkhart factory some time in the mid-late 1920s?
He even let me play it. Cheers, Colin!
The rest of the repertoire was pretty standard wind band stuff - Vaughan Williams, a couple of film medleys, a slow one with a lovely Cor Anglais solo and some Andrew Lloyd Webber - not my favourite, but Jesus Christ Superstar has got some bangers in it.
The highlight (apart from the piece specially commissioned for the band 😳) was the music from 'The Incredibles' - spoof/cheesy superhero film music - a cracking Bass riff driving the whole thing along, bars of 5/4 mission impossible type stuff all over the place... loads of fun to play.
Played the 'Ray -> Thumpinator -> VTDI -> MB 802, Rainbow Converse foot fans.
Radio 4 on the way home - the evolution of instant messaging, from the invention of the emoticon on MSN messenger to a woman who married a chatbot. Weird.
Home just after 10 for a G&T, a slice of raspberry cheesecake and a very stupid cat.

I've probably played that Incredibles medley with the wind band I used to play in - I'd have been on tenor sax. It's a lot of fun as you say.   

• Like 3

About 3pm yesterday we got a message asking if we’d play a gig that night. 

So, with no recent band practice - we jumped on it.

My 5 string anniversary Dingwall had some issues with tuning (it was going sharp) and only grabbed it from my tech place the day before. It would also have been my first gig with my quad cortex (since my last one died at a gig). I haven’t even tested if my “amp” setting actually worked, so decided to run direct (which I’ve wanted to do for years). 

We had some cable issues with a mic splitter so decided to forgo backing vocals and my QC output was quite low. I haven’t figured out why as yet. 

But we got everything sorted quick, crowd seemed to enjoy us, got some moshing and folk singing along. The basses tuning issues seem completely sorted now. 
Afterwards, I got complimented on my playing, my tone, my bass and my LEDs 😂

we didn’t get a photo afterwards due to being slightly moist, but grabbed one prior. Super metal looking poses. 

Fun fact: I had my Garmin on. 27 mins with a reported 500 odd calorie burn. I can live with that.

IMG_3977.jpeg

• Like 13

On 26/04/2024 at 01:25, dmccombe7 said:

Might be worth looking at how to tidy up the stage when playing. Recipe for problems there. :biggrin:

Dave

We played a sound provided theatre gig last month. Great sound but not tidy.

Daryl20240308_165132.thumb.jpg.2af77aeef91dab2d1d68789f3cc60b92.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

"After a bit of time off, we look forward to returning to Thelma Sadoff Center for the Arts on Friday May 3rd! Get your tickets and join the party!"

Ticket sales, that always scares me.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1714334497905.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

We played a sound provided theatre gig last month. Great sound but not tidy.

Daryl20240308_165132.thumb.jpg.2af77aeef91dab2d1d68789f3cc60b92.jpg

I struggle with that.  Its not OCD but just plain old simple common sense and tidy work area. If i run a cable and its too long i coil up the extra cable at one end of it and tie it with a velcro strip. Have to say i'm the only one in the band that does that but we do keep stage area clear, clean and as tidy as possible. Not so much at the desk as the SE is also our drummer and he just drops the remaining cable in a pile at the back of the desk rather than individual coiling of excess cables. Just makes it a pain in the a** when you are trying to find the other end of a cable. If they are all neat and tidy it saves time at the end when you just want to go home LOL

My cables all have my name on them too so i know exactly where both ends are.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Sight reading Sir Duke! respect!

Yup - except it was a mad big band arrangement so knowing the actual Sir Duke was of previous little help unfortunately! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Led Zep tribute at the Motorsport Lounge in Llandudno last night. A great night with a sell out crowd, nice venue (the stage was a bit cramped though) with very friendly people running it and enthusiastic punters. We had an issue with a guitar amp and the monitors were right on their limit, so not the greatest onstage sound, but with such a good crowd - who cares? 

https://www.facebook.com/themotorsportlounge/videos/1175097643505412 

• Like 11

Monthly Bandeoke last night. Still struggling to fill the venue, not sure how many more gigs we'll get there. 

Playing with an awful head cold is never fun and discovering that the guitarist took home twice as much money as the rest of us was a pretty depressing finale to the night.

IMG20240428192130.thumb.jpg.214392bebf7905e87d1a8f67c7c5244f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Playing with an awful head cold is never fun and discovering that the guitarist took home twice as much money as the rest of us was a pretty depressing finale to the night.

I know the cold thing, that messed my singing up - but why does the guitarist get twice as much as anyone else?

45 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I know the cold thing, that messed my singing up - but why does the guitarist get twice as much as anyone else?

Who knows? I wasn't supposed to know but the venue owner paid me before we started. So now I know the total and how much we all got. 

I'll be looking for another job.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Who knows? I wasn't supposed to know but the venue owner paid me before we started. So now I know the total and how much we all got. 

Hmm, I've been on the receiving end of similar - needless to say I didn't hang around long after finding out.  Is the guitarist the main gig finder/booker?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmm, I've been on the receiving end of similar - needless to say I didn't hang around long after finding out.  Is the guitarist the main gig finder/booker?

No. That is someone else.

• Sad 3

47 minutes ago, stewblack said:

So now I know the total and how much we all got. 

Yeh, I think I would be a bit miffed by that, all the groups I have been in have just been a wad of cash split n ways. Unless you have been employed by some organisation as a hired help, not sure why it would be different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I would have feigned ignorance and split it evenly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

No. That is someone else.

That sucks big time - when I was involved with a band and found out the guitarist was taking the lion's share of the fee I was totally cheesed off, needless to say I had a chat with the drummer and it seems we were being paid X whilst he was paying himself Y, when I challenged him as to why we were told he did all the gig booking and so thought it only reasonable that he took more.

Sum of the parts and all that came to mind, but as said neither me nor the drummer hung around long after that.

Hope you find something quickly 🙂

• Like 1

Split evenly in both my bands even tho its one person in each band that arranges all the gigs and our drummer actually owns the PA and lights but still he's fine with an even share.

If that changed i'd be looking for a new band too.

I could see the argument for someone getting more if they owned the PA and did all the sound and booked all the gigs etc but not sure how you would agree to divide the cash at the end of the night.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

That really sucks. I think the deception would cheese me off as much as the money.

I wouldn't object to chucking someone an extra few notes if they'd stood in at short notice/driven a really long way to be there/loaded in and set up on their own or whatever, but I'd make sure everyone else knew and was alright with it.

Good luck in your new band hunt!

• Like 5

Played my 1st gig of the year with Felis Leo, 1st gig in Salisbury since joining them 2 years ago. The gig was in a pub called the George & Dragon which is quite a long thin pub.

The back of the pub was closed off for the night and we played just in front of that area, unfortunately space was limited and I ended up stuck in a corner behind a wall, my two barefaced one10s on a bench facing in different directions! I could only see the entrance to the loos from my vantage point 😂

Before we started there was quite a few punters in and that was pleasing, after the first set I came out of my hiding place and the bar was heaving! 

If we're playing a standard pub gig we play half originals, half covers but not the obvious covers... Powerage era AC/DC, UFO, Whitesnake, JJ Cale, Rory McLeod, it seems to work and weave into our own material. 

The crowd seemed to enjoy it, the bar staff were very complimentary and the 'fans' said it was the best we'd played (this was only my 3rd gig with FL, it was Chris the drummer's 1st!).

Despite the postage stamp stage area the sound on stage was great, so much better than at rehearsals but then I don't use the 2 x one10s in rehearsal. 

Loading out was a ball ache, I won't bore you with that...rain, roads, busy pub full of drunks, etc.

Overall the night was a cracker, looking forward to next Sunday with a Smiths tribute and an all female Slade tribute!

IMG_20240427_195401.thumb.jpg.f5f072b35601c117258671a331b5913f.jpg

Here's my strange setup for the evening 

• Like 13