Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318763728' post='1405834']
We really ought to be playing more in Leicester but don't really know the scene. Which venues should we be approaching and do you know of any musically suitable local bands (Psychobilly/Garage Punk) to share the bill with?
[/quote]

I'd try and get in touch with Firebug and Soundhouse as first ports of call. They're smallish venues but they're in town rather than the outskirts so its easier to get people in. Drop me a PM if you're struggling to get in touch with someone, I've got emails and phone numbers for the organisers in both places I think.

Other venues to think about are the Musician (usually put on folk/americana/blues nights but they do do rock as well) and the Shed (can be tricky to get people into but fun to play, much of my mispent youth occured there). I've got a number for the guy at the Shed as well if you want it.

Fraid I can't think of any musically similar bands around Leicester at the moment. If you speak to promoters they might be aware of some.

Edit - Lock 42 is also a decent venue. A little out of town but easy to get gigs there. We play there a fair bit.

Edited by rOB

Played at Lock 42 in Leicester again last night. Played a decent set, a very, very new song went well and was complemented by people I respect afterwards. Great energy in the band, absolutely dripping with sweat by the end of our 30 min set which I consider a good sign.

Smallish but enthusiastic crowd. Great comments from people after and a rumour of some local music media taking an interest. Not sure if anything will come of it but it would be a bonus after a strong gig.

I remember gigs but only as a distant memory. OK maybe not that far back, but certainly last spring at the latest and that was a dep! To be fair we supposedly have one next Saturday but as the keyboard player has just quit and we have a new drummer I'm wondering if we shouldnt try to dep it out, especially as its a private function and not just a pub gig. Watch this space.

Small little village pub , 2nd time for us .
Had us set up at the other end , and still no room .
Had to put my cab in a fireplace , propped up with wood underneath to stop it moving around .
We played well , but we all agreed that it didn't feel right - some nights are just like that .

Station Hotel in Shotts last night depping. I got a set list on Monday with about a dozen songs. Luckily I remembered a few that weren't on the list as I'd depped with them on Boxing day last year.

Overkill was the word of the day with no fewer than 6 power amps and a huge PA. The tops were Apogee. probably about 60kg each and the subs were probably more. There was so much bottom end that the tops were moving around on top of the subs.

I was using their bass player's rig which was a Hartke HA5000 into a fullrange PA cab consisting of an Eminence 15" Kappa, 10" Kappa and JBL horn. It was rumbly loud.

They've got a good set. Had the chance to play some stuff I've never done before like Sledghammer (used the Boss OC-2), Sultans of Swing, Bon Jovi's In These Arms, Maniac by MIchael Sembello (used in flashdance or something like that) as well as some familiar stuff like Superstition, Dakota, Human and Sex on Fire.

Had a really good night and got a lot of good comments. 24 years later and there's no feeling better than someone telling you they think you are a good player.

These Rotos flats really slap well and sound great with a plectrum. Used the gold Precision all night. I f***ing love this bass. it rocks.

Edited by Delberthot

Wedding at Woldingham School (v posh all girl's boarding school), it was a brilliant one. Probably the best crowd we've had this year, they were absolutely mad (and very attractive on the female front :) )

First gig with my new GK MB500 and boy was it good. The Boost channel is literally insane, I drowned the whole band out with my onstage volume until I got told off :)

I can't resize this pic at the mo so go to the link to see my little doomsday machine...

http://merton.bitd.co.uk/images/Rig2011.jpg

Shocking gig.
Drummer forgot a stand so took 40 min going home to get it, wouldn`t let us s/check anything while he was gone as he`s a nutso control freak.
You can`t imagine how frustrating it is to sit and watch someone operate a mixing desk when they clearly don`t know what they are doing.
So I informed him I`m operating basic services from now on, turn up, play bass,take money,run.
His kick beater fell off in one song.
The lunatic keyboard player completely forgot the intro of a recent set addition and when reminded,played it in the wrong key badly. My cat could have sounded better chasing a mouse across the keys while high on catnip.
The singer didn`t like this wrong key sh*t.
She didn`t like it so much she forgot a verse in the next song, and just stood there while we all went round and round waiting for her to sing it.
I decided to detune my bass during bruno mars just the way you are, (no bloody bassline,me being clever), ready for the next tune as I only took one bass last night to save space.
I was apparently expected to do a little bass solo when introduced... hmm that went.. um...ok...mid tuning..
I have bruises on my right elbow from the keyboard stand and a dent on my bass neck where the drummer twatted it while aiming at a cymbal pad.
Yes ,it`s a small gig.
The bar manager was a little upset we finished 10 min early, to which I said to the now agitated drummer(and band boss) we.need.more.tunes."No no no that`s not the point, we need bigger gaps and more talking to the audience"
I think I need another band.

Birthday party which took over the whole pub. Top totty in nice dresses, we played well and keys and gtr were on fire.
We could have stepped it up a bit more if we had needed to.
Job done, got a bonus, got a few more potential bookings.
Save them for the new year which is looking good already.

Like gigs like that...

Pretty good night all in all. Looked like it was going to be quiet, but around 8:50 the place filled and stayed pretty consistent all night.

No stage (it's a pub for goodness sake!!) and no protection from the crowd that was mad, and filled with people dancing like loons - arms flailing and a couple of girls who seemed to think playing the bass just means clawing at all the strings at the same time with both hands :) Some judicious switc hing of the tuner to mute the bass between songs. Still they enjoyed themselves. Sound guy was having to watch out for grabs at the mikes and killing channels as required, and as well as the laydees grabbing at the bass I had a bloke singing along to everything inches from my face.

The pub sang Happy Birthday to MrsW during the second set, and I was being quizzed about what exactly I was talking to one of the bass girls about at the end of the night - to which the honest answer was "I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE". She was talking at me and I was protecting my gear from the nutters still crowded round the playing area and surreptitiously trying to pack what gear I could away (as well as being aware I ran the risk of getting a major grilling if I wasn't careful so I ought to have paid a bit more attention really!!!)

Waiting for the bits of video to make it to the drop box so I can patch on sound from the Roland recorder if needs be, but one memory of the night is looking across at the vocalist and guitarists, who at least had the benefit of stepping back up onto the small step and a modicum of sanity, and seeing the Steve mouthing "Help me" at the camera :)

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11051164/Loading%20Up%20-%20Fountain%20Oct11.mp3"]Loading Up[/url] - a bit of noise that they seemed to enjoy
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11051164/ReadyAndWilling%20-%20Fountain%20Oct11.mp3"]Ready & Willng[/url]

Edited by WalMan

First gig in ages, a wedding. New drummer who joined about 4 weeks ago and the keys player (&BVs) quit the week before. We got a previous guitar player back in and managed a rough run through a bit before. Result we were not good, played too fast (everyone guilty) on a number of songs, cues were missed and a general feeling of feeling uncomfortable. We went down a storm! The band's perception Vs the crowd's perception of how a gig has gone are 2 very different things.

Bloody great.

Opened the French guitar festival last night for lots of money for a one hour set, during which we dragged three really good guest guitarists up on stage to have a blast. Large appreciative audience, played two encores and found myself all over the festival TV system when I went back today. Best gig I've done since being here.

The Hop , Leeds. Part of a small, seemingly successful chain of pubs run by Ossett brewery. Leeds is weird because you play on a sort of mezzanine level , williams below you , but you get to see the party boat on the Leeds Liverpool canal through the wiindow which pleases me and the beer's good.

It's an early show in Leeds - the enthusuastic crowd starts to fall away after 10.30 into night clubs - but that's early home for us too. Adequate house PA and soundman. It doesn;t pay great but haggle.

Tomorrow it's Wakefield Hop (Halloween show) and a new Hop's opening in Shefield soon (we already have 2 gigs booked in there plus a further 10 elsewhere in the chain for next year)

So - if you want to stop us becoming Ossett Brewery's house band - give them a call.

Not bad.... a crowd comes in late so a 10pm start would be a good idea for next time. I thought we were flat and only finished the gig strongly as couldn't raise it before that....everyone else seemed pleased so the band will settle for that.

The band gets good reviews but I would prefer to get more people in..so this is a fine balance between our set and what punters demand/expect/want.

The perfect day - my birthday!

Got a new bass at lunchtime (Squier 60s CV Precision), played it at night, support slot, home by 9 with a takeaway curry, Fulham on Match of the Day (last match again, but actually won away).

Fantastic. And as for the bass, it's the best of the CV series, and I've owned em all. May even retire the old Fender...

Happy Birthday Mickey!
Despite initial wet weather worries the bar soon filled up about 10 for the second set.
I was blissing out over my new DHA VT1 bass drive which seemed to make everything I played sound so much more musical,especially the odd slap here and there,which had that slightly compressed harmonic overtone vibe.
Nobody else noticed it of course :) .
We`d hand a band meeting in the week(very FOTC) and shouted at each other a bit and were now all good mates again so the vibe was good, the playing was tight and I got compared to Horace Andy which is utter bollox but made me feel good anyway.
There was a Spanish girl and her boyfriend in who excelled at some really filthy bashment dancing which kept us all amused for a good while. :)
Still need a few more tunes though.

A couple of pretty good ones, and the addition of a couple of mains filters seems to have sorted the buzz from the LED panels.

Friday at a regular haunt. Not bad, but the room is all carpeted so sound tends to get swallowed. Still the landlord bumped the money...which was nice.

Last night was a new venue for us that I have been trying to get into for ages. Think we showed him what he'd been missing. :) Had a few brain fade moments, that were annoying as I did not get them the night before, but it seemed to go pretty well. Good house PA and lights that make a nice change.

Forgot when we booked it a while back that the last Saturday of October is always the Littlehampton bonfire parade & fireworks, so it was quietish for the first set, but picked up in the second.

Kept getting calls for White Punks, which we haven't played in over a year (as we felt it had been done to death by us anyway and there were new songs coming into the set) but they were persistent and the drummer, who had been giving a flat NO, relented and it became the third encore. Considering the length of time since we last did it it wasn't the car wreck expected, just a couple of reasonably minor scratches/

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11051164/Alibi%20-%20General%20Henrys%2029%20Oct%202011%20-%20WPOD.mp3"]Alibi - General Henrys 29 Oct 2011 - WPOD[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47nOHFinCcs[/media]

Sadly that is virtually it for this year with this band. One more in a few weeks, and with a dep drummer with no r/h - he has recordings of the last couple of gigs to work to and is a mate of one of the guitarists, so hopefully we'll get through. Then everyone bu99ers off on hols so there is a break 'til Feb :)

Got a couple of proggy gigs, a couple of country/americana and a dep or two lined up, but....

Edited by WalMan

Bloody hell.

There's a Battle of the bands each year in this region and a guitarist suggested we make up a little fun trio to enter for a laugh. Expected to be home and tucked up by 11.pm. Decided to play some fun crap (Jumping Jack Flash, Highway to Hell and Rock & Roll) ended up in the final 2 song play off (expenses paid at this point so a bonus) Thought Pretty vacant would lose it for us as it was mainly a middle aged audience and we could all get home in time for cocoa. We won and had to play out the end of the night. Now have this trophy and 1st prize dosh!!

Saturday's gig at Cruz, a boat moored at end of the Water of Leith. Interesting venue, no stage and a bit cramped (banged my headstock against the keys player while reaching for the setlist), but everything else was fine.
Great fun, especially when Ista (MC Ras Ista Lion) came over to do a bit of toasting and jamming. Nice bit of flow there.

Oh, and I cocked up the change in the only song we were regording for the night. nobody told me, otherwise I would have praticed it more!

Never mind, all was good in the end

Played last night as one half of the regular Blues/Americans duo. We have a casual residency at a local pub who, about once a month, let us use their function room for a free gig. We get nowt for it for but we've got a lot of other work through the exposure and we try out new material there. Anyway, last night they'd got an engagement party in the function room (or engorgement party as my brother calls them). So, it was the old 'under the dart board in the bar scenario'. By the end of the night we'd got a significant wodge of the party-goers out in the bar singing along to 'walking in Memphis', so -result.

It's going to be different tonight. I'm part of the backing group for a female singer-songwriter. She's doing a 'ladies only' evening and apart from me and the guitarist everyone there will be female. Interesting.

A Mad Wedding, we usually do sedate weddings and Masonic dinners so have been a bit sheltered of late.
This was like a Fat Gypsy wedding from hell. Their first song we learned miss fired a bit. But the free drink from 2pm till 1 am resulted in the two Irish families and a rugby team to fall all over the stage. Knocked over the guitarist stand and mike, also fell on monitors and the stage lights crushing one and blowing the rest.
Basically we found it hard to concentrate, as many of the guys later stripped to the waste and started bare knuckle fighting around us.

I'm playing lead guitar in Happy Jack's band:

[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/junkyarddogs"]http://www.lemonrock.com/junkyarddogs[/url]

last night was at The Barley Mow in Shepperton. Lovely pub good beer.
Not much space, the bands are in a corner, but went well and had lots of people dancing for the second set.