Why become a member? ×

Beatles 'new' Single, Now and Then, thoughts?

PaulWarning

Just now, police squad said:

I think it embodies the spirit of the beatles really nicely.

It certainly wouldn't have been released as a single but a good album track.

Technology.

yes those were my thoughts, I think it's better than Free as a bird

You would have thought they'd have a bunch of great stuff hanging around that was never put on an album, because after all, they were all geniuses.

But it appears they only have the scrapings at the bottom of the barrel. This track probably wouldn't even get on a Rutles album (or an Oasis one for that matter).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

You would have thought they'd have a bunch of great stuff hanging around that was never put on an album, because after all, they were all geniuses.

I think all the stuff they had hanging around was put out on the Anthology series

• Like 1

Just had a listen - not a Beatles fan (although my Mum was) & it's OK. Sound like a Lennon tune, nothing particularly cringeworthy about it, it's 4 mins so doesn't outstay its welcome. The tech used in its creation sounds interesting.

If nothing else, it's better than the recent new thing by the Stones. Won't listen to either again though.

I am a Beatles fan and I think it's dire.

I could get all lyrical about 'squeezing the last few dessicated, bitter fruit from a long-dead tree' but I'll quote George instead - he said it best.

"..it's f××king rubbish."

:D

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 2

I like it a lot. It's definitely a grower, at the first listen I was surprised at how downbeat it is, but it still made me very emotional. 

If this the last thing they ever do, a part of me regrets that it's ending on such a sombre note rather than something celebratory.

It's interesting how this new Beatles release is getting such a poor reception on here whereas the new Rolling Stones album, to my ears autotuned and massively overproduced, is going down a storm.

• Like 2