Why become a member? ×

Beatles 'new' Single, Now and Then, thoughts?

PaulWarning

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I like it a lot. It's definitely a grower, at the first listen I was surprised at how downbeat it is, but it still made me very emotional. 

If this the last thing they ever do, a part of me regrets that it's ending on such a sombre note rather than something celebratory.

It's interesting how this new Beatles release is getting such a poor reception on here whereas the new Rolling Stones album, to my ears autotuned and massively overproduced, is going down a storm.

Totally agree with all of that especially the first sentence. Think I'm going soft in my middle age. I've never been a beatles fanatic either. Always liked em but never a superfan!

I quite like it.

I mean it is not exactly a master piece or among the best Beatles songs ever, but very far from among their worst either.

Better than the 2 other posthumous John Lennon Beatles songs from the mid 90's for sure, and all in all a really nice song.

From the receptions it gets in this thread it very much sounds to me like some people are listening to this through a filter of preconceptions.

Also funny George Harrison called it pure crap, cause to me it actually sounds more like a George Harrison song than a John Lennon song.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

Apologies if I missed it, but I couldn't locate a link to the song in this thread, so here's a YouTube link to it.

It's OK. I wouldn't buy an album based off of this lead track, but that's not what this is. As a standalone, it's just … OK.

I really like George Harrison's playing in general, so I'm kinda glad there's enough of that in the song to keep me interested, apparently it was a 1995 recording of Harrison's guitar that plays on this track, again AI was used to lift that recording and isolate it for this release.

I found the vocal weak - thin and tinny, which I suppose is what you get when you have to use AI to lift a 40+ year old vocal from a tape recording.

I'm sure other record companies are taking note of how this will be received to see if they can also get away with mining their back catalogue of long dead artists, but I guess that's a discussion for another thread.

I like this track, but it's nothing great.

Mark

• Like 1

Beatles and Stones both charting this month - what decade are we in again? Someone said if it wasn't the Beatles who wrote this song, we would never hear it as it is simply unremarkable. I'm a huge Beatles fan and although I don't particularly like the track, I think it's amazing that it has been released and in awe of the technology used. Just fantastic to hear it and the surrounding documentary footage about its production is a real joy to watch.

• Like 1

Not a massive Beatles fan (more of a distant admirer of their understanding of music) but I like it.

It may had been seen as a "filler" if it was on a good album but it feels like a song you'd come back to when tired of the immediate hits.

It has a nice emotional feel and to me even an understated haunting yet soothing feeling. It's a nice song and I agree the guitar parts are very nice in places.

Edited by HornetPinata
it's a Nice song not a Mice song. Well maybe it is that too what do I know.

As a standalone song, it's nothing special, though I can't say I disliked it. It reflects the restrictions under which it was made. It's ok. As an endeavour by a couple of friends to close a circle, so to speak, honouring another couple of friends, and what they did to finally complete a song using what sounds like little more than 30 seconds of abysmally recorded original material, I found it quite moving.

• Like 2

I quite liked it. It's not a great Beatles song, but it wouldn't have sounded out of place on one of the later albums, and the technology is great.

However, rather than spend all that time making something out of a quickly recorded demo,  I'd have preferred to hear something new from Paul.

Edited by BigRedX

9 hours ago, acidbass said:

Beatles and Stones both charting this month - what decade are we in again? Someone said if it wasn't the Beatles who wrote this song, we would never hear it as it is simply unremarkable. I'm a huge Beatles fan and although I don't particularly like the track, I think it's amazing that it has been released and in awe of the technology used. Just fantastic to hear it and the surrounding documentary footage about its production is a real joy to watch.

Beatles and Stones.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I didn't know that WAP was a Cardi B cover of a Beatles song 😆

WAP

me neither, I do find it irritating when people, or documents, use relatively obscure acronyms or initialisms, with out explaining them (if that's what it is)

13 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

me neither, I do find it irritating when people, or documents, use relatively obscure acronyms or initialisms, with out explaining them (if that's what it is)

Well, in this case there is a very good reason for it.

Also I don't recall that Beatles song.

Did Ringo Star write that one?

Sorry to be irritating… I’ll maybe clarify… the new Beatles release, for me, is more listenable to than a lot of what passes for modern music in the world outside of my comfort zone… Cardi B’s song WAP being a particularly fine example of this juxtaposition.

However, it is not such a fine specimen of the Beatles canon, that it stands up to scrutiny against a track of theirs that I happen to like… in this example - Helter-skelter.

😘

Edited by DCS222
A kiss to show no hard feelings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rexel Matador said:

Ok, watching that and consequently hearing it for a second time, I didn't find the song quite so bad... but I think that's only because it was relative to how utterly terrible the video is. What were they thinking?

I don't doubt that you could have done a much better job than Peter Jackson & Co. and Lennon/McCartney & Co., but I don't think it's bad as it is.

And I am pretty sure they were thinking a humorous goodbye and thank you, sprinkled with equal measures sentimental nostalgia. 

I understand why some would find it too sentimental or too silly though, but while while definitely fully intentionally being both silly and sentimental, and arguably not exactly being genius, I think it actually does work for what it is.

It could have been worse, they could have used clips from "Meet the Feebles" and "Bad Taste". ;) 

• Like 4