Why become a member? ×

Well, somebody's getting a bit up themselves... (Royal Blood content)

Rich

Radio 1 Big Weekend isn't a new thing, they must have known they were signing up for a pop festival aimed at 16-25 year olds.

Although if they'd been on one of the smaller 'alternative' stages they'd probably have found a much more appreciative audience.

Going on between former One Directioner Niall Horan and epic sing along balladeer Lewis Capaldi on the main stage was always going to be a hard sell for them 

Edited by Cato

41 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It's still no excuse for a newspaper article to consist of twitter posts. That's not news.

Nothing new for the online Sindypendent. It's been wall to wall P.Schofield for days. Lazy pseudojournalism. 

• Like 2

They seemed to get some moderate response on the videos I saw…

sometimes, with a “tough crowd” - put on a blinding show…not every crowd is going to fawn over you.

maybe it was a timely reality check for a moderately popular/successful group who think they’re big time.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 6

Slightly off topic but definitely related. I like quite a lot of royal blood’s stuff and thought they might be a good option to take my daughter for her first proper gig. 

Went online and looked at the tickets in a couple of venues close to us and with booking fees they were pretty much £95 each 😵‍💫

I realise the band doesn’t have total sway over ticket pricing but I just laughed at how a ‘moderately’ successful two piece could be charging almost a hundred notes for a gig. 

and I say that as a fan. Obviously we didn’t go which was a shame I thought it would have been a great ‘remember your first gig’ moment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bassybert said:

Went online and looked at the tickets in a couple of venues close to us and with booking fees they were pretty much £95 each 😵‍💫

Ridiculous! I saw Steven Wilson at The Royal Albert Hall, with a box seat for £45. Ticket pricing is all the over the map, without rhyme or reason.

2 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Slightly off topic but definitely related. I like quite a lot of royal blood’s stuff and thought they might be a good option to take my daughter for her first proper gig. 

I realise the band doesn’t have total sway over ticket pricing but I just laughed at how a ‘moderately’ successful two piece could be charging almost a hundred notes for a gig. 

and I say that as a fan. Obviously we didn’t go which was a shame I thought it would have been a great ‘remember your first gig’ moment. 

Ask your kid who she'd like to go see, that'll win out every time :)

My main takeaway is that he’s really, really rubbish at having a hissy fit.

There’s a slightly longer video than the one in the ‘article’ above where at the end of the set he dangerously slams his bass to the floor from the height of about six inches and walks off with his middle fingers raised. Edgy.

(Posh English) rock musicians these days are a joke.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

There’s a slightly longer video than the one in the ‘article’ above where at the end of the set he dangerously slams his bass to the floor from the height of about six inches and walks off with his middle fingers raised. Edgy.

Poor lad, I expect he was upset at finishing his gap year.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Cato said:

Radio 1 Big Weekend isn't a new thing, they must have known they were signing up for a pop festival aimed at 16-25 year olds.

Although if they'd been on one of the smaller 'alternative' stages they'd probably have found a much more appreciative audience.

Going on between former One Directioner Niall Horan and epic sing along balladeer Lewis Capaldi on the main stage was always going to be a hard sell for them 

Sounds about right. The gig that tanked an experimental jazz combo of mine was playing to a blues cafe. The BL went psycho at me and the drummer on the way home because it wasn't his fault we went down like a lead balloon. I quit the next day and they did 3 more gigs with a rope in who couldn't do what I did. The end.

Some years on I was invited to effectively a reformation where I was the only surviving member. I brought in half the bass grooves that got it started. Did a bunch of spectacular gigs and it all fell over for no good reason.

Next chapter yet to be written.

14 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Just received an e-mail flyer for Royal Blood tickets at the London Eventim Apollo (or the Hammersmith Odeon as I prefer to call it).

Ticket prices are E50 each. Not sure why they were double that where you are.

15 hours ago, Jakester said:

Happy to take the money, weren't they? 

Big Weekend doesn't pay fees. The Radio One play that comes with it is the prize, and really he should have known that they were going to be playing to a bigger stream audience than any they'd get in person. 

In mitigation, RB are about to start a headline arena tour this week. Having been in the same position where you're about to do your biggest ever shows and then bomb in front of somebody else's midday festival crowd I can at least sympathise with them being tempted to throw a small paddy. I got on with it though because I'm a professional (and also was getting paid my session fee either way). 😜

That said, I also know a stage manager who has never said a single negative thing about any band ever, no matter how guff they were, and after one show with RB he claims they're both derrières, so perhaps there's something more going off there... 

• Like 2