Why become a member? ×

Well, somebody's getting a bit up themselves... (Royal Blood content)

Rich

On 30/05/2023 at 10:25, Rich said:

On 31/05/2023 at 08:46, joeystrange said:

They were playing a festival for people who don’t like music. What was he expecting?!

This!

Also as far as I am concerned Royal Blood is a pretty mediocre off the mill generic boring rock band, though with an interesting concept, that Death From Above 1979 however executes way way better.

What an absolute conceited bloated **** head!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I wouldn’t say I dislike any of their material, it’s just I find they are a bit of a one trick pony. The fact that Mike Kerr is essentially doing everything apart from the drums doesn’t allow for much variation from what he’s playing. Quite limiting IMHO.

That was part of their appeal when they first started I think. That raw, stripped back sound and chunky riffs worked well but you’re right it’s hard to keep coming up with new songs/variation with such limited resources. 

This is disappointing. I played these for one of my mates who’d not heard em, saying they weren’t bad. Literally the next thing I know they’re behaving like self indulgent arrogant pink torpedos. Serves em right for playing some shite kids festival. 

Edited by How1

Bruce Dickinsen did a similar thing at Hammersmith   on the Seventh Son tour. 

The audience was full of teenage kids and their dads waiting to hear "Can I Play with Madness". The atmosphere wasn't great all night. 

At the end of one song Bruce stopped and said something like, "What are you all doing here, no one knows any of our songs apart from those two guys up on the balcony who've been headbanging and singing along all night." Pointing to my friend an me. Then he launched into some more chat about mainstream pop.

Was a great night and no social media back then.

To be honest I don't blame Royal Blood, they're in front of the wrong audience at a massive gig. What do you do when the audience are visibly disinterested and you're never going to win them over? 

10 minutes ago, TimR said:

What do you do when the audience are visibly disinterested and you're never going to win them over? 

Obviously that's the time to break in to the material from your experimental jazz side project. They're not in to it anyway. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Obviously that's the time to break in to the material from your experimental jazz side project. They're not in to it anyway. 

Or play a load of covers of the following act in your own style?

Which reminds me of a gig where I naively gave the supporting DJ our setlist so that he knew when we were coming to our break.

He then played most of our second set while we were on our break. The drummer was going to go and beat him up. We just went back on and played the set as planned. No one even noticed and more danced while we were playing than when the DJ was on. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

I saw a band support Motorhead once and the drummer tried covering a Micky Dee drum solo. That didn't go well. When he played it the audience looked bored. When Micky played it the crowd loved it and he was so loud that filter lenses fell out of the stage lights leaving them without coloured lights for the rest of the show

• Haha 1

The thing is, having watched the gig, what was going on in the crowd and the weird reaction of Kerr didn't quite marry up. There were pockets of crowd that seemed properly into it at times, just not necessarily all of the crowd all of the time. That's what you get on a multi-band, you're never going to please all of the crowd as they're there for different reasons. In fairness to them, Thatcher did seem to want to make the effort with the crowd, although I can't condone his apparent alcohol abuse in front of a family type audience. I think they'll look back at the Dundee gig one day and realise they could have handled it far better.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Sorry - fail to believe that any crowd loved a drum solo!

The only person at a gig who loves a drum solo is the drummer.

And maybe, just maybe an audience member who plays the drums. But even then it's like watching your wife having sex with another man.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bassybert said:

The only person at a gig who loves a drum solo is the drummer.

And maybe, just maybe an audience member who plays the drums. But even then it's like watching your wife having sex with another man.

And probably very irritating that it goes on much longer than expected 

• Haha 8

On 30/05/2023 at 18:42, Bassybert said:

Went online and looked at the tickets in a couple of venues close to us and with booking fees they were pretty much £95 each 😵‍💫

Saw Steve Vai with his band in Dublin last year for €40!. Royal Bloody rip off with tickets at £95

The colloquial 'we' love a band with a gimmick in this country and count Royal Blood, Mr Blobby, St Winifred's School Choir, The White Stripes and Benny Hill in there.

I'm an ageing indie/punk/post-hardcore bloke; honestly couldn't tell you the title of a single Royal Blood song despite listening to them a few times.

There are hundred (if not thousands) of bands that would give anything to have an opportunity for a gig like that. 

If Royal Blood can't make the most of it, then they should probably pack it all in and give those opportunities to bands that will.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, TimR said:

What do you do when the audience are visibly disinterested and you're never going to win them over? 

We've had a couple of disinterested audiences in the past, at a couple of function things where we were just the hired background music. Best thing to do -- the only thing to do -- is shrug your shoulders and treat it as a paid rehearsal (and in the case of a Brighton gig we had, a free weekend away). Anything except slag off your audience, because no matter how good a band you are, a toy-throwing will end up going viral on social meeja, you'll look like a prize knob, and your hard-won reputation is in the toilet. Suddenly you're no longer "this really good tight band, you need to see them", you're "meh, don't bother, bunch of primadonnas".

I can pretty much guarantee that the first thing Wayne Kerr's manager said was "what the fck did you think you were doing?? Have you lost your mind??"

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, squire5 said:

Royal Blood conspicuous by their absence from 'Later........' tonight.Billed to appear,but didnt.

They were on. I watched one number. Don't know if they did another one - couldn't be bothered to stay up to see. Not a fan, but my partner's youngest son is part of their management team.

Royal Crud.

Edited by Steve Browning

If was on a stage in front of thousands of people, playing music I loved and getting paid, with a successful career behind me and a big fan base, I’d be very happy indeed, and I certainly wouldn’t be moaning about it, I’d be feeling very lucky and grateful.

Maybe it’s easy to forget all that and take it for granted when you actually have it, I don’t know.

Never look down your nose at an audience. Without them you are a nobody playing with yourself. I expect Mr Blood went back to his trailer and did exactly that while watching Miley Cyrus videos on his phone and repeating to himself how awesome he is.

4 hours ago, Rayman said:

Never look down your nose at an audience. Without them you are a nobody playing with yourself. I expect Mr Blood went back to his trailer and did exactly that while watching Miley Cyrus videos on his phone and repeating to himself how awesome he is.

TELEMMGLPICT000256550184_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1