Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland Hootananny!

theplumber

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

The one who did the dreadful cover version of, er, something pretty unforgettable?

I thought that also if you mean the one who was dressed in what looked like a gigantic black puffed up daisy chain and had the two female singers behind her at the same time. Her timing was so out that even my wife picked up on it and asked is she really out of time because she's very drunk or is she just not bothering. She also kept missing out lines.

3 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I thought that also if you mean the one who was dressed in what looked like a gigantic black puffed up daisy chain and had the two female singers behind her at the same time. Her timing was so out that even my wife picked up on it and asked is she really out of time because she's very drunk or is she just not bothering. She also kept missing out lines.

That's the one, the one with the team of six backing singers. Self Esteem. A name redolent of narcissism if ever there was one.

• Like 2

We watched the Sam Ryder thing and thought it was great. He somehow managed to get from Queen to Stevie Wonder via Taylor Swift and the Darkness, the whole thing was a joy to watch from start to finish. Superb band, (nice to see the bass player’s go-to 4-string was a Ricky). Turned over to Jools afterward with the inevitable Ruby Turner and the rest and got very bored very quickly. This despite enjoying the odd Hootenanny in the past. Sam’s show was unashamedly full of mainstream hits but then isn’t that kind of the point for a NYE gig?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mowf said:

We watched the Sam Ryder thing and thought it was great. He somehow managed to get from Queen to Stevie Wonder via Taylor Swift and the Darkness, the whole thing was a joy to watch from start to finish. Superb band, (nice to see the bass player’s go-to 4-string was a Ricky). Turned over to Jools afterward with the inevitable Ruby Turner and the rest and got very bored very quickly. This despite enjoying the odd Hootenanny in the past. Sam’s show was unashamedly full of mainstream hits but then isn’t that kind of the point for a NYE gig?

Never seen it but would not be surprised if it is taken on for next year.Call me old fashioned....alright,call me old! But I like to be uplifted at the new year. Jools Holland show wasn't for me uplifting but then again I wasn't disappointed as I knew it was going to be rubbish anyway! I should have listened to the wife and turned in at 11pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowf said:

Agreed, this was a great show. An amazing voice and obviously a talented musician with an interesting collection of Fenders. Assuming they were all his. The band and backing singers were great too, especially the guitarist. And it’s not often you see a bass player use a Ricky in a backing band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Has there been a slip in the time/space continuum, resulting in us being transported back in time to the 1970s?

Hahaha 

sorry, please excuse my 1970’s esque Luddite linguistic blunders…. 

In my defence , Bird is a term which has for a long time been used heavily here in Liverpool , and is intended with  affection rather than derogatory in most regards ….

ill try better 😆👍

19 minutes ago, Wonky2 said:

Hahaha 

sorry, please excuse my 1970’s esque Luddite linguistic blunders…. 

In my defence , Bird is a term which has for a long time been used heavily here in Liverpool , and is intended with  affection rather than derogatory in most regards ….

ill try better 😆👍

Beautiful :)

I recorded this and whizzed through it today. I really wanted to see The Real Thing and enjoyed them - that was a band who knew how to work an audience. Top pros. Cat Burns was great, and Rachael and Vilray were as good as I hoped. I have been following Rachel with Lake Street Dive for a very long time. She has an absolutely cracking voice.

I usually stick up for the Hootenanny, but this year was very sub-par. Seems like Jools can no longer attract artists.

I thought Cat Burns would have been good in the context of a normal Later, but didn't really have a 'NYE party' vibe.

Really can't see the appeal of George Ezra .

• Like 1

Recorded the Eurovision Party thingy (BBC1?) and watched most of it when I came back from my NYE gig.   You know you’re going to get glossy gender-bending tosh, and it didn’t disappoint..... (a glass of Laphroaig helped).  Rylan is surely Kryten (from Red Dwarf) with a beard? 

Hootenanny used to be genuinely entertaining, but last couple of years I’ve watched it’s been self-indulgent twaddle - a shame.

I watched a bit of both. Jools started the hootenanny off singing and playing some boogie woogie. Great pianist, seems like a good guy but wish to god someone would hide his microphone. A singer he is not. 
Soon as Ruby Turner got on the mic as was forgiven. Amazing voice. Put all the other singers to shame. 

3 hours ago, mowf said:

We watched Sam Ryder too. This followed last year’s iteration with Olly Alexander (was that the first in this version? Previous years have had a gig at err the Brixton Academy?)

Yep; lots of snatches of hits, cool cameos (Justin Hawkins is always Justin Hawkins), and I did not know Sam could play guitar until he started wailing away. Great backing band. He’s got a good voice for the Swifty hits, it was far better than the GB News style indulgent claptrap of the Manford and Chums show before.

Edited by Daz39

8 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Soon as Ruby Turner got on the mic as was forgiven. Amazing voice. Put all the other singers to shame. 

Agreed - show would have been vastly improved by having 100% Ruby-led songs. Although the JH backing vocalist who stepped up for a couple of leads was pretty good too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I usually stick up for the Hootenanny, but this year was very sub-par. Seems like Jools can no longer attract artists.

I thought Cat Burns would have been good in the context of a normal Later, but didn't really have a 'NYE party' vibe.

Really can't see the appeal of George Ezra .

I love George’s voice, but he isn’t what I’d call versatile (yet). He’s just a great voice and a great backing band.

6 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Agreed - show would have been vastly improved by having 100% Ruby-led songs. Although the JH backing vocalist who stepped up for a couple of leads was pretty good too.

That was Louise Marshall, very classy voice.

I was looking forward to The Real Thing as they had some great songs in the mid to late 70’s.

The first number was OK, but the second and third got progressively worse, the lead vocalist was lacking in range and was almost shouting them out at times, sadly another vocalist well past their best.

I watched Hootennay this evening on catch up and really enjoyed it. Didn’t hit the

fast forward button once, despite there being a couple of acts I thought I wouldn’t 

like. Thought the big band were great, and noticed Dave Swift played EUB on most

if not all of the show?

Watching The Real Thing took me back to the late 70’s when I saw them at a local gig,

and they’re still sounding fine. Thought Cat Burns was good too, as well as Rachel and

Vilray - great vocals / amazing guitar playing. 

16 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Watched this on catch-up. Bring back Andy Stewart's Hogmanay even if he is no more. At least that would still have more of a lively atmosphere than this dismal and joyless affair. A feast of cr@pitude from start to finish.

A reanimated Zombie Andy Stewart?...cool, I'll have some of that

On 01/01/2023 at 15:35, Cliff Edge said:

Agreed, this was a great show. An amazing voice and obviously a talented musician with an interesting collection of Fenders. Assuming they were all his. The band and backing singers were great too, especially the guitarist. And it’s not often you see a bass player use a Ricky in a backing band. 

At one time he was playing a Charvel 5 string, which was surprising.  I have one, and they cost between £700-£850 new (mine was £699)I would have though pro bassists on the telly would have very expensive kit.

35 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

At one time he was playing a Charvel 5 string, which was surprising.  I have one, and they cost between £700-£850 new (mine was £699)I would have though pro bassists on the telly would have very expensive kit.

Nah, I played a 50 quid Hondo P bass on the telly once...