Why become a member? ×

What do you eat?

Happy Jack

What do you eat on the drive home from a gig?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you eat on the drive home from a gig?

• Nothing
    • Chips
    • Burger / Kebab / similar
    • Cake / Biscuits / similar
    • Chocolate / Sweets
    • Lobster Thermidor aux Crevettes avec Aubergines in a white wine sauce and garnished with Shallots

I voted nothing.

Firstly, the majority of out-of-town gigs that I do these days include free food and drink for the band (with any special dietary requirements taken into account) so rarely feel hungry on the way back from a gig.

Secondly, for me getting back home a bit quicker so I can get to bed and sleep, always trumps stopping to eat some nasty (not very) fast food on the way. If I'm really hungry I'll make myself some proper healthy food when I get home.

• Like 5

The last four or five years - pre-pandemic - I’ve always travelled by train to gigs. I just had coffee, I’d sometimes take sandwiches.

I used to do a lot of dep gigs, they were all over the country. I think the furthest I went south was Plymouth, the furthest north was Whitby. Then I used to take a flask and sandwiches, there was invariably nowhere open that time of night.

I am - if you haven’t guess - a cheapskate 😆.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I voted nothing.

Firstly, the majority of out-of-town gigs that I do these days include free food and drink for the band (with any special dietary requirements taken into account) so rarely feel hungry on the way back from a gig.

Secondly, for me getting back home a bit quicker so I can get to bed and sleep, always trumps stopping to eat some nasty (not very) fast food on the way. If I'm really hungry I'll make myself some proper healthy food when I get home.

Who said rock n roll was dead?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Machines said:

Nothing - I always have a huge meal beforehand and don't fancy anything at 1am.

I don't know how you do that. If I eat a big meal before I play, I have difficulty keeping awake/alert. A bit like the lions in wildlife documentaries. They kill and eat something and then go to sleep under a tree for two days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I don't know how you do that. If I eat a big meal before I play, I have difficulty keeping awake/alert.

This.

A seasoned old pro drummer I worked with always had the motto  "You should always go on stage feeling horny and hungry" 

These days I'll settle for just feeling slightly peckish.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Driving west out of London, me and the drummer would always stop at a McDonald's on the A40 in the middle of the night.

I've read Fast Food Nation and I'm while vehemently against eating this rubbish, we were always energetic live and your body is just craving fuel to get you home.  I haven't eaten anything like this for three or four years thankfully.

I always eat a meal before a gig.  I am borderline diabetic and if I don't eat (and my blood sugar dips) I get shaky.  And grumpy :D 

Afterwards I just want to get home - most of my gigs are about 70-80 mins away. 

I can't sleep for a few hours after a gig..... stopping at a kebab shop and getting chips (maybe in a pitta 🙂) is part of my wind-down process.

I'm normally still wearing my stage gear....... sometimes attracts comments (and even a selfie request) from the clientele.

• Like 2

I’m always caught between either a) eating before a gig or b) afterwards.

Option a) is the more usual. We’ve normally driven a fair distance, set up and sound checked and then have a couple of hours to kill before the gig so it seems the best plan. Usually eat somewhere with some band members and crew, and I really enjoy the social side of this. Try not to eat too much so I stay alert and up for the gig - used to have a beer too but just lately find that can be detrimental - damn getting old. Our band has a policy of finishing the gig and then getting home / to our accommodation ASAP so we never stop for takeaways after a gig.

Option b) is rare for me. On local gigs I’ll have something when I get in ( sarnie or toast etc) but these days I can’t go to bed soon after eating a lot without feeling lousy the next day. When I first started playing in my late teens every gig was followed by a late night curry or burger, happy days.

41 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm normally still wearing my stage gear....... sometimes attracts comments (and even a selfie request) from the clientele.

Which is I’m guessing more than a pair of black jeans and a shirt of some description?

Gigs? Oh yes, I remember those. After packing up, the last thing I wanted was a post licensing hours, grease fest. I’d drive straight home and maybe munch a few sweets from the car stock (yeah, I know, a post licensing hours, sugar fest) and maybe have a something plain, like a piece of bread, once home, whilst catching up on Basschat as a wind down.

I can't eat very much before a gig because I sing. It really affects my breathing, so a small bite to eat about 6pm.

I'll finish my dinner when I get home, usually it's a chilli.

When I was doing gigs away from home (with the Police tribute) it was quite awkward. I often didnt eat at all before the gig but there was always good snacks afterwards back at the hotel. Cold meats like salami, olives, pork pie, crisps and red wine