Why become a member? ×

Your Bass doesn't 'suit' the band...

LewisK1975

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487789975' post='3242974']
Very well put. May I quote you? It's less vulgar than the way I think about it;
[attachment=238812:EatFender.png]
[/quote]
Please be my guest.

I know a lot of major bassists play a Fender, but I do wonder if it's their choice because of the sound, or is it because it's serviceable and a replacement can be bought cheaply in any town.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487785626' post='3242916']
This. I can't think of many proggers back in the day who used Fenders bar John Paul Jones and occasionally Geezer.
[/quote]

There were plenty. It's just that they weren't as visually or sonically noticeable as those who were using Rickenbackers and other more interesting basses.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487792554' post='3243029']
Rhys, I think I'm thinking about the previous Dan the Bass... TBH it's a few years now since I really checked out Magenta...
[/quote]

Aah, it all makes sense now. :)
I'm not really a fan, but Tina their singer is an old friend of mine & so is Steve the drummer they use live.

The Attitude looks [i]way[/i] more prog-tastic than my Faded Sonic Blue Precision:

Personally I take whichever of my basses sounds best for the gig. I've never been asked to take a particular one on the basis of looks alone!

Edited by JapanAxe

Our front man said what he wrote was for a Precision bass sound so I used a Precision for a bit, then I used my Precision Lyte, he liked the sound of that more! So I used the Jazz for a couple of gigs, he really liked that so I swapped to a CMI Rick, he loved the look of that one but we agreed the sound probably didn't work...now I use the USA Stingray Sub for gigs! He has been persuaded from writing songs with any particular bass sound in mind :lol:

I shall probably stick with the Ray now he has stopped imagining he was writing with some mythical bass sound in mind!

Not had other band members suggest i change bass but have done myself.
Jazz didn't cut thru Prog band mix.
Warwick was too mid punch growl and also too heavy to play a long rehearsal or gig these days.
Overwater was ok but didn't feel right in the Prog band.
Bought myself a Dingwall NG2 5 stringer and it was an excellent fit for the band i was in.
Left the band 3mths later but there you go.

I would def thought the Yamaha would suit a Prog band. I personally would take offence to that if it was an originals band but as pointed out if a tribute Prog then looking same as originals is more or less a requirement.

I guess if you enjoy the band and have the funds to get the bass required or already have it then go for it.

Dave

Bloo*y hell you do hear about/come across some finicky people in bands from time to time!! I do like the guy who writes for a Precision bass - which one would that be, JJ Burnel on Peaches by the Stranglers, James Jamerson or maybe it was Roger Waters when he sounded like he was desperately after a Chris Squire Rickenbacker sound. Total nonsense of course as was proved with the changes in basses!!

I think the points about people being controlling is well made - and they are best avoided because unless you're incredibly thick skinned and can ignore it, it will eventually lead to great stress or fisticuffs or something similar.

I played for quite a while in a band where the self styled leader had some sort of OCD syndrome and was want to pick on individuals for instance requiring them to line their amps up exactly together, and against the back wall of the stage or room - and yes I did refuse as my rig needed space for the porting to work - this was the tip of the iceberg though as lead colours, strap positions and colours, music stands, drinks holders, set lists, drum stick holders you name it came in for treatment over an extended period - it was both funny and exasperating all at once.

I would have great worries about people telling me what bass to play because it would probably be an indication of a general approach and in any case, most times I've encountered this type of thing, the person concerned is completely wrong anyway, and basically lacking in knowledge in the art of bass. It sounds like Lee Sklar has had that experience - the producer switch lol!! I also read an interview by Marcus Miller where he talked of using the bridge pick up on his jazz but being told to turn it off because of the supposed inherent hum - which he did and then turned it back on whilst they weren't looking.

I like the idea of encouraging these guys to buy you a bass - do you reckon they'll have a view on the strings to use, and amp and speakers? I'm afraid I'd be off in a shot but that's just me!! You'll find people with ill informed prejudices and fixed viewpoints on things throughout life - it doesn't mean you have to follow them though.

Edited by drTStingray

I had comments about using a Peavey Grind 5 at a jazz jam, and ditto a Hohner B Bass 6 at a blues jam . Folks is conservative is all. The answer depends on how thick skinned you are or how desperate you are to remain in band.

Edited by lownote12

If anyone said that to m, I'd assume they were an idiot, check that they were in fact serious and examine their behaviour for other warning signs I should avoid. Aside from the fact that the Yamaha is totally of the Fender lineage and a classic Fender colour and pretty nu-prog too, the player picks their own instrument. That's a quality bass. They should be pleased. I played in a band for years where the guitar player used BC Rich Warlock. It had a Ride the Lightning paint job too. We were not a thrash metal band. He'd bought it when he was totally into metal but his tastes had broadened. I always thought it was fugly but it was his call, it was a quality build, it sounded pretty much like any other 2 HB guitar with a locking trem. His choice. Ultimately it became part of who we were and how we looked. Metalhead pointy headstock guitarist with braids. ex-Hippy bass player with beard. Disco boy on drums. Nobody had any questions once we started playing.

Edited by radiophonic

Honestly I find it surprising you'd get negative comments for that Yamaha. It's not exactly a wild bass; it's just a rather nice looking Jazz with a few touches that make it stand out from a Fender.

I could understand if you were turning up with this:

But as you are, it strikes me as band members being a bit too picky for their own good.

I guess it partly depends on your bands style. If like us you're just a group of people in normal cloths playing prog rock then I don't see an issue. If you're all wearing custom made masks and boiler suits aka Slipknot then I guess you might be spoiling the mood. But by and large I would say stand up for yourself; playing the gigs on a bass that you're at your musical best with is going to be far more important that having a guitar that your band mates find pretty.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487775000' post='3242715']
Hey folks.

Whats your opinion on this one?

My favourite Bass to gig with is undoubtedly my sonic blue Yamaha Attitude ltd3. Love everything about it.

Been told that the Prog band I'm in requires a more 'traditional' looking Bass, a Fender basically.

No problem, I have suitable looking Basses I can use, but none of them feel as 'right' to me as the Yamaha.

I'm pretty pragmatic about it and will do what's necessary, I'm not the 'main' guy in the band, and I enjoy the music so if the look is [i]that [/i]important, then so be it.

But what would YOU do?
[/quote]

If the pay is good, I would use a Fender.

Blue