Why become a member? ×

Your Bass doesn't 'suit' the band...

LewisK1975

Use whatever instruments that sound good for the band in live gigs. Looks do play a part in the band so, for photos and videos, you should use gear that looks the part. Gives the band a cohesive image. When you're rocking on stage the punters won't give a crap if the guitar is a PRS or a Les Paul, they'll be too busy enjoying themselves. ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487936894' post='3244310']
They may also be some non-serious comments, the way you talk about it.
[/quote]

We are good friends, and you're right, a lot of what's said is general p1ss taking, which is fine, we all give as good as we get generally, and it works for us.

This issue is slightly different though, there was no concern about the sound of the attitude. It was all about how it looks..

Like I said above it's all sorted now, after a chat last night, I will be using whatever Bass I want to. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be a Jazz after all! :rolleyes:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487930802' post='3244196']

Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like. She just wanted to have an image of a new, modern prog band, fronted up with old style guitars. But as it turns out, the guitarist who has a PRS is also preferring to use that so it's kind of a moot point now...
[/quote]

Excellent.

Sorry I missed that part.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1487936974' post='3244312']
Use whatever instruments that sound good for the band in live gigs. Looks do play a part in the band so, for photos and videos, you should use gear that looks the part. Gives the band a cohesive image. When you're rocking on stage the punters won't give a crap if the guitar is a PRS or a Les Paul, they'll be too busy enjoying themselves. ;)
[/quote]

All completely true, well hopefully for the last bit!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1487839057' post='3243336']
Most people on here don't need an excuse to buy another bass! I would probably go with the flow but think they were being a bit silly. Image is important to a lot of bands and if I liked the band, I'd get that.
[/quote]

do you still have the delusion that anybody notices what the bassist is playing?

:ph34r: :P

Well, I didn't want to bring this side of it into the discussion really, but the main person who dislikes my Yamaha is the singer, who is a young lady (well, young compared to me anyway). Her husband, who is the drummer, doesn't care what I play as long as we nail the songs every time. And for a prog crowd, that's obviously what's important.

Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like. She just wanted to have an image of a new, modern prog band, fronted up with old style guitars. But as it turns out, the guitarist who has a PRS is also preferring to use that so it's kind of a moot point now...
[/quote]

Result! :)

And good to hear that there was 'method in her madness', even if only her was thinking of that. I can't say I dislike her idea, but it would probably only come from someone who doesn't need to play a guitar.

And all this talk of Yamaha Attitudes... quit it! I have been strangely attracted to that thing for years and I always manage to stay away. You're making it hard... especially after I saw just how good looking the sonic blue is! :gas:

[/quote]

That seems something of a mixed message. What else would give the appearance of a modern prog band than modern instruments? Does she actually want a retro prog band (regressive?).

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1487944103' post='3244412']
Let's face it chaps, if you're in a prog band fronted by a girl, your audience will barely notice there's a band behind her, much less what you look like or are playing... :)
[/quote]

This was something else I pointed out during our discussion last night!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487940532' post='3244372']
Result! :)

And good to hear that there was 'method in her madness', even if only her was thinking of that. I can't say I dislike her idea, but it would probably only come from someone who doesn't need to play a guitar.

And all this talk of Yamaha Attitudes... quit it! I have been strangely attracted to that thing for years and I always manage to stay away. You're making it hard... especially after I saw just how good looking the sonic blue is! :gas:
[/quote]

I've actually had 3 Attitude Basses, got a s/h SFG ltd 2 a while ago which turned up locally, that got sold on after a few years of use., missed it terribly and ended up buying a brand new black ltd2 back in '09, and then most recently got the blue ltd3, which showed up in the marketplace here!

FWIW, i do think the ltd3 is hugely overpriced RRP, but s/h I think they represent outstanding value for what IMHO is essentially the best Rock Bass in the world!

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1487929721' post='3244176']
Some males, when meeting other males, need to show who is the pack leader. You can snarl and challenge, roll over and show your belly or sidestep. Tell him you've ordered a new one and it's in the mail (which never arrives) or use humor. Tell him his bird likes your deep throbbing bass just like it is.
[/quote]

Then pee on a nearby thicket, scratch your arse and light one up.

...Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like. She just wanted to have an image of a new, modern prog band, fronted up with old style guitars. But as it turns out, the guitarist who has a PRS is also preferring to use that so it's kind of a moot point now...
[/quote]

Ahhh closure. Gee.

Very happy to hear it was nowt significant. Full steam ahead then.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487785626' post='3242916']
This. I can't think of many proggers back in the day who used Fenders bar John Paul Jones and occasionally Geezer.
[/quote]
[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1487790622' post='3242988']
Roger Waters. Greg Lake.
[/quote]

Not that it's really worth raking over these coals, but I've just remembered that most of the really early Floyd footage (UFO club and [i]Piper[/i]... era) shows Waters playing a Rick...and of course, for all the dabbling with Ricks and Wals, Geddy's choice of signature bass was a Fender Jazz.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1487777935' post='3242788']
Just auditioned for, and joined, a band that originally formed in the late 1960s, playing my headless Sei Flamboyant 5. They didn't have a problem with it.

Oh, and Rhino Edwards plays a Status Streamline with Quo.
[/quote]

Sorry to be a pedant but Rhino Edwards plays a Status Charger.

[quote name='SuperSeagull' timestamp='1488036532' post='3245269']
Sorry to be a pedant but Rhino Edwards plays a Status Charger.
[/quote]

When I saw them at the NIA, he was playing a white Streamline. Shows how foolish it is to make assumptions on a sample of one... :)

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1488044350' post='3245377']

When I saw them at the NIA, he was playing a white Streamline. Shows how foolish it is to make assumptions on a sample of one... :)
[/quote]

Was that recently? He has recently switched to a white Charger (or a white Rhino according to the marketing blurb!)