Why become a member? ×

Your Bass doesn't 'suit' the band...

LewisK1975

A serious musician would understand the concept of different basses, sounds and even dress being appropriate or not in different playing circumstances. If you are in this situation you just have to decide how serious you are about your playing. All this "tell 'em to F Off" is no very grown up.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1487848425' post='3243458']
A serious musician would understand the concept of different basses, sounds and even dress being appropriate or not in different playing circumstances. If you are in this situation you just have to decide how serious you are about your playing. All this "tell 'em to F Off" is no very grown up.
[/quote]

I would respectfully disagree with you on this one for the most part. I would make a few observations I guess:

1) If you’re employed as a musician (session work/paid backing band/theatre pit) then sure, the employer is free to request whatever they need/want and you are obligated to provide that within reason. Just the same as you’re obligated to wear a shirt and tie to and office job for the most part. There are limits of course, but within reason this is fine.

2) If you band is a tribute act or has an especially strong visual theme (think White Stripes/Slipknot etc.) then I can understand the instruments being chosen to fit that theme too.

3) However, if neither (1) or (2) apply then within reason I see no issue with choosing your own instrument. The OP here is in an originals prog-rock band and wants to play a bass that is well within the boundaries of a normal mainstream instrument for that type of music. I could understand if he wanted to play something absurd such as the Daisy Rock purple sparkle flower bass I linked before. But that’s clearly not the case here.

Therefore, it strikes me that what we have here is not really something that is ‘for the good of the band’ so much as certain band-mates being control-freaks and trying to push their personal tastes onto others in a way that is not cool. Even less so given that the OP states that his Yamaha bass is the one he feels the most comfortable playing, and therefore would presumably be the one that he gives the best performance on.

I’d get the point if the issue was with the sound; if he was playing something that sounded too vintage or muddy or had flats on and they wanted a bright pick-sound in the mix. Those would all be reasonable requests that would be for the good of the music. But asking someone not to play their bass, which is a normal bass with a classic design just because it’s not quite to your taste is not reasonable.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487776566' post='3242750']
I think it's the fact that it's Sonic Blue. The comment was that it looks like a 'toy' bass, compared to a Fender.
[/quote]

Bring both to a rehearsall and let them find out wich looks like a toy and wich sounds like a toy bass... your bass is beutifull and has a vintage Fender vibe with that colour scheme (i'm guessing you have the original MoP pickguard). They are dumb to think this way, sound is king, i would have given them the benefit of doubt if you were using a Ritter, a Warwick, a Steinberg or a Warlock but a Attitude? At the back of the stage it looks like any other Fender bass...

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1487848425' post='3243458']
[/quote]

Yes image is important, and I would be the one of the very first to acknowledge that, but AFAICS the band doesn't really have very much of an image, and the bass currently in use by the OP is IMO perfectly adequate from a visual PoV.

Thanks Guys for the all the inputs. I had a feeling the topic might be of interest and I'm genuinely grateful for all the opinions.

As it turns out we're having a vocal rehearsal tonight, and I intend to bring it up. It's certainly valid that I'll be most comfortable when playing the Yamaha, which in turn as said by a few above, lends itself to a better performance. I'm hoping this angle will sway it.

There's been a few messages bouncing around this afternoon and I've touched on it there, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise when I bring it up.

Back when I have more news!

If I joined a band & they didn't like my bass on how it looks, I'd have to leave unless there was funds to buy a bass that suits.
I play an Ibanez SR1000.
I started out playing it in a metal band back in the 90s, played it in various rock & blues bands, went on to play it in a folk band (with synth bass fx on it) & now play in a funk rock band as well as the church worship team.

Always gets complimented on tone too! :D

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487867042' post='3243748']
Thanks Guys for the all the inputs. I had a feeling the topic might be of interest and I'm genuinely grateful for all the opinions.

As it turns out we're having a vocal rehearsal tonight, and I intend to bring it up. It's certainly valid that I'll be most comfortable when playing the Yamaha, which in turn as said by a few above, lends itself to a better performance. I'm hoping this angle will sway it.

There's been a few messages bouncing around this afternoon and I've touched on it there, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise when I bring it up.

Back when I have more news!
[/quote]

I hope you end up with a satisfying project at the end of it all. All the best.

Some males, when meeting other males, need to show who is the pack leader. You can snarl and challenge, roll over and show your belly or sidestep. Tell him you've ordered a new one and it's in the mail (which never arrives) or use humor. Tell him his bird likes your deep throbbing bass just like it is.

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1487929721' post='3244176']
Some males, when meeting other males, need to show who is the pack leader. You can snarl and challenge, roll over and show your belly or sidestep. Tell him you've ordered a new one and it's in the mail (which never arrives) or use humor. Tell him his bird likes your deep throbbing bass just like it is.
[/quote]

Well, I didn't want to bring this side of it into the discussion really, but the main person who dislikes my Yamaha is the singer, who is a young lady (well, young compared to me anyway). Her husband, who is the drummer, doesn't care what I play as long as we nail the songs every time. And for a prog crowd, that's obviously what's important.

Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like. She just wanted to have an image of a new, modern prog band, fronted up with old style guitars. But as it turns out, the guitarist who has a PRS is also preferring to use that so it's kind of a moot point now...

I think it's the fact that it's Sonic Blue. The comment was that it looks like a 'toy' bass, compared to a Fender.
[/quote]

I would say that's the problem.

What colour guitars do they have? It might look a bit odd in photos and detract from a cohesive band look.

Playing live under light it'll not notice.

I would suggest to them that you will use one of your other basses for photo shoots and publicity stuff.

I played (still have it) an '87 Jackson Charvel bass compete with 80s Hair Metal style pointy headstock in a function band. It looked really odd, and out of place, even to me. I changed it and although people said how nice my new bass was they didn't qualify that with 'compared to your old one'. So I'm guessing no one minded.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1487931722' post='3244214']
I would suggest to them that you will use one of your other basses for photo shoots and publicity stuff.
[/quote]

This is actually a very good point. Did actually use my '75 Jazz for the video we did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GF_MENE7lY

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487931981' post='3244219']

This is actually a very good point. Did actually use my '75 Jazz for the video we did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GF_MENE7lY
[/quote]

Well that's very odd. They're happy with the guitarist playing a guitar that looks like it's been attacked with a grinder?

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487930802' post='3244196']
Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like.
[/quote]

That's good. Having a chat is always better than confrontation.

But, are you sure? Listening to your video I can hear some strong 5 string bass lines.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487930802' post='3244196']
Well, I didn't want to bring this side of it into the discussion really, but the main person who dislikes my Yamaha is the singer, who is a young lady (well, young compared to me anyway). Her husband, who is the drummer, doesn't care what I play as long as we nail the songs every time. And for a prog crowd, that's obviously what's important.

Anyway, after last night's vocal rehearsal and subsequent discussion, it is apparent that I can use whatever I like. She just wanted to have an image of a new, modern prog band, fronted up with old style guitars. But as it turns out, the guitarist who has a PRS is also preferring to use that so it's kind of a moot point now...
[/quote]

I'm kind of in the 'old guitars look best' camp for [i]bands[/i]. There's something a bit pro / 'session-y' about a lot of PRS-ish guitars and some more 'expensive' basses, especially 5 strings or even worse 6 strings :)

It seems like rather odd, controlling behavior to me.

Part of it depends on how well you know each other and what the relationships are like. I'm now good friends with my band and we'd think nothing of saying stuff like "you need to smile more", "your fashion is whack", "ditch the music stand" etc...most of that directed at the drummer...but that's because we've built up the relationship where we can say that without coming across as dicks, most of it's tongue in cheek with a hint of truth.

I'd never dream of asking another bandmate to use a different instrument in a more formal, less familiar context. Unless it's part of the deal that the band has to look very period specific then there needs to be a certain respect for the individuality of members, particularly if its not something that affects your ability to perform/deliver the goods. As people have commented, I doubt many would notice the Yamaha, while it might be a fair cop if the bass was bright pink and shaped like penis (long scale).

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1487935537' post='3244284']
I'm kind of in the 'old guitars look best' camp for [i]bands[/i]. There's something a bit pro / 'session-y' about a lot of PRS-ish guitars and some more 'expensive' basses, especially 5 strings or even worse 6 strings :)
[/quote]

I think "interesting" guitars suit bands. The problem I have with designs like PRS is they are trying so desperately hard to be all things to all musicians, that while they might play and sound fantastic, visually they are bland to the point of tedium (even the ones with the horrible bling inlays).

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487775000' post='3242715']
Hey folks.

Whats your opinion on this one?

My favourite Bass to gig with is undoubtedly my sonic blue Yamaha Attitude ltd3. Love everything about it.

Been told that the Prog band I'm in requires a more 'traditional' looking Bass, a Fender basically.

No problem, I have suitable looking Basses I can use, but none of them feel as 'right' to me as the Yamaha.

I'm pretty pragmatic about it and will do what's necessary, I'm not the 'main' guy in the band, and I enjoy the music so if the look is [i]that [/i]important, then so be it.

But what would YOU do?
[/quote]

If they tell me my pointy BC Rich doesn't fit with their country and western band, or that my pink Daisy Rock bass is a bit out of place for their Black Metal band... yeah, ok... But your Attitude is not exactly that far out, looks-wise... it's a pretty cool design that doesn't really look out of place anywhere. In principle I would not agree, and I'd argue that the look is not that different from a "traditional" instrument and that it took me a while to find a bass with the right feel.
If they objected to the sound, then that's one thing. But give me a break...

Does it pay very well? If it does, I can play anything ;) . If it doesn't, I'll use the right tool and the right tool is, in this case, the Attitude. I'd be more willing to have my favourite bass refinished than changing basses, if colour were an issue... but I doubt sonic blue can be a problem, right?

[/quote]

what if you got a sonic blue Fender???

I think you need to find out exactly what they object to before even considering a change.
They may also be some non-serious comments, the way you talk about it. Like the way my guitarist in the old RHCP tribute band went on about how I should really get a Stingray. I hated Stingrays and I never even considered it, and played an Ibanez SR300 and a Warwick Corvette $$ instead. He'd make the comment from time to time but it wasn't really meant as a "you MUST change your bass or else".

Incidentally one day I found an OLP I liked a lot... and within a year I ended up with a Stingray that has become my main bass ever since. :rolleyes: :)