Why become a member? ×

My favourite band at 16 was...

interpol52

Ah, 1977... The year I discovered two of my all-time faves, Peter Hammill and Todd Rundgren. Before that it had been mostly been Pink Floyd and Genesis, and Joy Division, Gang of Four et al were soon to join the throng...

Edited by ras52

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1472228136' post='3119677']
At 16 it was all about Iron Maiden for me, but then David Lee Roth released 'Eat Em And Smile' the same year, which blew me away!!
[/quote]

Likewise. Although I had just turned seventeen when I heard Yankee Rose on the Casey Kasem American Top 40 radio show, so I left this off my earlier post!

At that time my first band was at a low ebb and I was thinking that bass playing may just have been a flash in the pan. Hearing that song changed everything for me.

I was 16 in 1991 and a school friend gave me copies of:

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Chilis - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Faith No More - The Real Thing

At 16 these three bands blew my mind. I hadn't heard anything like it before and they're still 3 of my favourite bands to this day

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1472244228' post='3119840']
I was 16 in 1991 and a school friend gave me copies of:

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Chilis - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Faith No More - The Real Thing

At 16 these three bands blew my mind. I hadn't heard anything like it before and they're still 3 of my favourite bands to this day
[/quote]

Great albums! I loved Frizzle Fry by Primus too.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1472160999' post='3119083']
I am 41. When I was 16 I used to love this, I had it on VHS and cassette. They were a strange band in retrospect, after King For a Day I tuned out but I still enjoyed watching this tonight. I loved Mr Bungle too!

[media]http://youtu.be/nennHnQiBGo[/media]

So who were your favourite band at 16?
[/quote]

I loved this!! Wore out the VHS myself, and a couple of the audio tapes too. Bloody excellent!! I was actually 18 myself as I'm a couple of years older than you. So at 16, I was high on The Smiths (still am really).
Another big shout out for Andy Rourke:

http://youtu.be/4cAs5RtWl44

The Stones. Had liked them for years by then, with Sticky Fingers and Exile already leaving a big impression.
I was 16 in 1974 when It's Only Rock n roll was released. Played along with it for hours.
Still probably my favourite all time band.

This thread got me thinking about changing musical tastes... When I was 16 my absolute fave bands would have included: Electric Light Orchestra, Thin Lizzy, Gordon Giltrap, Doobie Brothers, Yes and Horslips. All still high up on my listening list today.

Others would have been right up there too. Pre-hair metal Whitesnake is now on the "Meh!" pile (though I still love Neil Murray's playing on those tunes). However, Led Zeppelin, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Gillan (silly metal phase) and a good chunk of 70s Deep Purple, although top spins then, I now find pretty much unlistenable! How times change.

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1472240880' post='3119803']
Likewise. Although I had just turned seventeen when I heard Yankee Rose on the Casey Kasem American Top 40 radio show, so I left this off my earlier post!

At that time my first band was at a low ebb and I was thinking that bass playing may just have been a flash in the pan. Hearing that song changed everything for me.
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I was in the process of losing my way with guitar at this point, still 3 years away from picking up a bass. But listening to Steve Harris then Billy Sheehan, I got to thinking...... :happy: