Why become a member? ×

My favourite band at 16 was...

interpol52

I was 16 in 1957 and believe it or not jazz ruled, well, for anyone with half a brain that was. Pop was pretty mushy stuff, even Elvis left us unmoved in those day except when Scotty Moore struck up. And Rock wasn't really established. A bass guitar made quite a rare appearance and was played with a plectrum.

So my influences were Dave Brubeck, MJQ and Chris Barber.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1472227956' post='3119675']
Love some ABBA to.
[/quote]

And in case anyone wondering "great songs, but are they any good for metal ?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixa1kXjMhAU&index=2&list=RDWY0drnSPThU

In 2002, probably The Police, my dad is a big fan and we always had great music playing at home. Thinking about it though, not a lot has changed. Of my absolute favourites, I reckon about 5 or 6 or my top ten are the same now as they were then.

Depeche Mode. I was 16 in 1985, I'm 47 now and I still love them. Their music developed at the same pace as my music tastes matured; I loved their early electropop stuff in 1981 when I wad 12 by the time I was in my late teens/early twenties and had got into darker, heavier sounds they were right there too, with albums like Violator, Ultra etc.
They're a long way now from what I listen to regularly now (and not a bass guitar in site!) but I still love them, and my band play a rocked up version of Personal Jesus in our live set.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1472896747' post='3125135']
Depeche Mode. I was 16 in 1985, I'm 47 now and I still love them. Their music developed at the same pace as my music tastes matured; I loved their early electropop stuff in 1981 when I wad 12 by the time I was in my late teens/early twenties and had got into darker, heavier sounds they were right there too, with albums like Violator, Ultra etc.
They're a long way now from what I listen to regularly now (and not a bass guitar in site!) but I still love them, and my band play a rocked up version of Personal Jesus in our live set.
[/quote]

I love Ultra, I think Billy Corgan did too when he wrote Adore!

Elvis Costello & the Attractions.

I seemed to be the only guy at school who liked them. Took an afternoon off school to go and see them play Glasgow Apollo - my first ever gig. Got Elvis's autograph afterwards.

This Year's Model and Armed Forces are still outstanding albums.

Edited by Bassclef

At 16 I was moving out of my Def Leppard / Extreme phase, and discovering Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains. 1991/1992 was the start of grunge, and all my mates were listening to $hit like early Prodigy, 2-Unlimited and loads of chart friendly, ear-unfriendly rubbish like that. I was the square peg in their round hole. 😊

16 for me was 2007 - Probably Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Necrophagist, Death and other progressive death metal. Still listen to a lot of that today. Death's Symbolic is still the best metal record I've ever heard.

That said, I have and always will love The Clash, so them too.

I've always had wide taste. But at 16 I was mainly listening to Peter Frampton, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones and the Who.

I was also working in the kitchen in a bar with live bands, so fell in love with their covers of Doobie Broseley, Hendrix, Steve Miller band and a good few more. They were good times.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1473268311' post='3128558']

I've got to admit I'm not familiar with that one but I'm going to go and check it out now. Thanks for the tip.
[/quote]

No worries! His vocals take a bit of getting used to but I find that everything's on the money. Hope you enjoy it!