Why become a member? ×

My favourite band at 16 was...

interpol52

Stranglers. By a complete lack of coincidence, I got my first bass at 16 and learned by playing along to IV: Rattus Norvegicus.

Pretty much lost interest after they released The Raven, but JJ Burnel is one of the main reasons I play bass and doubtless why I remain drawn towards upfront, aggressive bass.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1472196836' post='3119252']
Ah, 16.

[/quote]

That's how I feel when I think about being 16.

I think using 16 as a point in time is, for me, a time when I felt that music defined who I was and how I dressed more. Up until then it was just 'songs I liked'. Its an interesting age!

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1472213660' post='3119499']
That's how I feel when I think about being 16.

I think using 16 as a point in time is, for me, a time when I felt that music defined who I was and how I dressed more. Up until then it was just 'songs I liked'. Its an interesting age!
[/quote]

For me at 16, everything was in limbo.

Glam rock was over, and punk hadn't happened if you didn't live in London. I didn't really "discover myself" until I left home to go to university in 1979.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1472211155' post='3119458']
The Pretty Things.

Still one of my favourite bands, even if their post 1980 output has been mostly dull. However the most recent album released last year and recorded with the current live line-up is a welcome return to form.
[/quote]

Nearly went to see them at the Flowerpot but the date clashed with another band I wanted to see so they missed out. I liked '...Are In Bed Now' too.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1472214966' post='3119518']
Nearly went to see them at the Flowerpot but the date clashed with another band I wanted to see so they missed out. I liked '...Are In Bed Now' too.
[/quote]

Their 50th Anniversary gig at The Flowerpot was the first time I got to see them live, and despite the fact that the set was drawn entirely from their 60s repertoire, I really enjoyed it.

My very first band was named after one of their tracks.

I was 16 in 1973 and plunging head first into the rock bands of that era. My favourite at the time may well have been Uriah Heep but, for staying power, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath have been accompanying me for the ensuing 40-odd years.