Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Just for old times sake, went to see Wishbone Ash last night.

Didn't know what to expect as it was only Andy Powell left out of the original lineup.

Really pleasantly surprised. He's surrounded himself with three excellent players who've really done their homework. Great mix,  lovely venue (the Apex in Bury St Edmonds) and they gave the audience exactly what they wanted.

The other guitarist had what I'd call the best ever sound possible from one P90 pickup. All numbers played to the original version.  £30 well spent.

IMG_20230906_194047.jpg

• Like 2

Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons at the Patriot for the 'launch party' for new top 40 album 'Kings of the Asylum'. Only promoted via their Facebook page it sold out in hours.

I'm a huge fan... seen them seven times since 2018. Getting the full stadium filling performance on a 200 capacity club run by an MCC, was utterly awesome!

20230907_215118.thumb.jpg.6541b68400e0b7eeac6f6cdf7bcca5dd.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, steantval said:

Wishbone Ash on Thursday evening, packed house of people of a certain age.

This is the Live Dates Album tour, an evening of their fabulous well known tracks.

Great musicianship all round with a superb sound mix out front.

A great live album.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Black Stone Cherry at Islington Assembly Hall on Friday. It was the release day of their latest CD so beforehand there was a signing event (I didn’t do this). 

They’d decided they wanted to play smaller venues like when they started coming over here and in my opinion their sound suits these much more than the Wembley Arena size venues.

They played just over an hour and a half, only downside for me was they didn’t play Things My Father Said which is one of my faves.

• Like 1

Hawkwind at the Royal Albert Hall, supported by Arthur Brown.

Hawkwind played for about two hours twenty minutes, an audio-visual assault that lived up to the promised 'celebration of the sounds and rituals of space'.

Pretty the textbook definition of space rock. Not my video.

Better Lovers in Brighton last night - it's 3/5 of Every Time I Die, with producer Will Putney on guitar and ex-Dillinger Escape Plan singer Greg Puciato on vocals

Superb - seriously tight and put on a great show. Wasn't a long set - 35ish minutes as they've only released four songs so far and played those along with three new ones and a cover of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage

Really looking forward to the full album and hoping to be back at the same venue in March for Greg's solo tour

Winery Dogs Manchester last night. Awesome. Billy amazing as ever. I hope I have his energy and rock n roll cool when I get to 70! 

Now looking at European dates to see if we can see them again later this ‘month. 

20 minutes ago, guyl said:

Winery Dogs Manchester last night. Awesome. Billy amazing as ever. I hope I have his energy and rock n roll cool when I get to 70! 

Now looking at European dates to see if we can see them again later this ‘month. 

We had tickets…. but couldn’t go sadly, Mrs Rayman isn’t firing on all cylinders.

Yussef Dayes in Cardiff with Rocco Palladino on bass. Sound was a bit meh bass wise, while the drum sound was perfect as you'd expect for this act. Nevertheless a great gig, Rocco was amazing and a pretty big crowd - about 700 - for what is still essentially a niche jazz act. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, guyl said:

They're on in Prague on 25th. My Son lives there so a cheeky trip might be in order.

I saw Dave Beatson’s Big Band at Kilwinning Abbey Church, North Ayrshire on Friday (6th October).  Outstanding big band, great soloists.  I would have paid a lot more money to see this band if they had been professionals, I can’t believe they aren’t professional as the standard of musicianship was so high.  From Glen Miller to Weather Report, with a guest vocalist for some Sinatra and more.  Big shout out to the bass player Martin (Henderson?), solid as a rock all night and he just made me realise how far I have to go on my bass-playing journey.  Great evening. 

On 07/10/2023 at 09:52, guyl said:

Yup, I was there; sooooo much talent in three bodies on one stage...Billy was Overplaying Menkle Billy all night, Mike P made the near-impossible look effortless, the only downside was Ritchie looked like he really, really didn't want to be there - faultless playing and singing, but no audience engagement and a face like a handful of mince all night...unlike the support band (Scarlet Rebels), who grabbed the crowd by the scruff of the neck and wrung a response from them...

• Like 1