Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

My favourite of them was always Ted Turner, quite the hippy,  with an interesting approach to guitar and had the best voice in that line up too. 

Absolutely.  His solo in The King Will Come on Live Dates has one of the best uses of wah-wah I have ever heard. 

• Like 1

Porcupine Tree in Amsterdam on Monday night last. A very enjoyable night, as we had some of the best seats in the house. I am not a fan of these big arena gigs, as the sound can disappoint. Let's face it, these venues are built primarily for getting as many bums on seats as possible and sound is secondary. The new bass player is very accomplished, but I felt they were missing something that Colin Edwin brought to the party. 

• 3 months later...

Went to see the Skimmity Hitchers last night, hadn't twigged who'd be on bass duties, of course its @TheRev's band innit.

Cracking night, cider and jokes flowing nicely, and grooving tunes a-plenty. Really enjoyed it, and as a little bonus, even my home town had the p%ss took out of it, along with just about everywhere/everyone else :)

Excellent sweaty fun, get along and see them if you can

Forgot to post this from a couple of weeks ago - I went to see ‘The Magic of Motown’  in Huddersfield.

Been meaning to see this show for a while now, mainly out of curiosity to see how it catches the 

Motown vibe. Turned out to be a pleasant surprise, with a 7 piece band making a good job of recreating 

the sound, along with 4 male and 3 female vocalists covering the main Motown acts. Wasn’t sure about

the bass player when I saw he was using a Stingray 5 string, but he did really well covering all the 

classic lines. The PA sound upstairs was pretty naff, but improved as the evening progressed. Plenty

of prosecco fuelled ladies dancing throughout which made for an entertaining sideshow.

Last night I took my dad to see Livewire, a AC/DC tribute at the Cheese & Grain in Frome. I wasn't all that excited and was shocked to see that it was sold out (850 capacity) for a tribute act. They were absolutely excellent. Very lively show, played spot on. All the hits plus some less obvious songs for a 2 hr 15 min set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Last night I took my dad to see Livewire, a AC/DC tribute at the Cheese & Grain in Frome. I wasn't all that excited and was shocked to see that it was sold out (850 capacity) for a tribute act. They were absolutely excellent. Very lively show, played spot on. All the hits plus some less obvious songs for a 2 hr 15 min set.

Are they the AC/DC tribute that has both a Bon and a Brian singer, Steve?

I saw Belinda Carlisle & The Christians earlier this week at G-Live in Guildford. Great to see my old mate @Bobby Kon bass with The Christians! He played up a storm, including duplicating some classic Pino fretless on his MusicMan 😎

Met Belinda's bassist Andy Carr afterwards too..... great guy and player who also performs with ABC and Go West 🎸

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Are they the AC/DC tribute that has both a Bon and a Brian singer, Steve?

They used to do both - a very good friend, now sadly departed was their Malcolm for many years. They are a very professional bunch with a 6-figure turnover. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cetera said:

I saw Belinda Carlisle & The Christians earlier this week at G-Live in Guildford. Great to see my old mate @Bobby Kon bass with The Christians! He played up a storm, including duplicating some classic Pino fretless on his MusicMan 😎

Met Belinda's bassist Andy Carr afterwards too..... great guy and player who also performs with ABC and Go West 🎸

Was great seeing you Gary! 

Last gig tonight, Corn Exchange Cambridge 

• Like 1

Kris Barras band at Highbury Garage last night, great performance from the band, and the sound was one of the best hard rock mixes I've ever heard, everything was very tight, punchy and powerful, just how I like it. The bass player played a Dingwall ( I think) 6 string, and it was so clear and punchy, with no bloat at all, I couldn't see an amp on his side of the stage so not sure if he went straight to PA...???

9F09D005-7EBC-410A-8B91-736CB1F7A014.thumb.jpeg.03531c44679357788b34a75ffe9ae344.jpeg

A4DFCA19-ADA3-4C1A-857E-BE71CF3319EA.jpeg

On 25/02/2023 at 09:56, sprocketflup said:

Went to see the Skimmity Hitchers last night, hadn't twigged who'd be on bass duties, of course its @TheRev's band innit.

Cracking night, cider and jokes flowing nicely, and grooving tunes a-plenty. Really enjoyed it, and as a little bonus, even my home town had the p%ss took out of it, along with just about everywhere/everyone else :)

Excellent sweaty fun, get along and see them if you can

Churrz mate, it was great to see you there!

And it was very, very sweaty!

4 hours ago, sykilz said:

Kris Barras band at Highbury Garage last night, great performance from the band, and the sound was one of the best hard rock mixes I've ever heard, everything was very tight, punchy and powerful, just how I like it. The bass player played a Dingwall ( I think) 6 string, and it was so clear and punchy, with no bloat at all, I couldn't see an amp on his side of the stage so not sure if he went straight to PA...???

9F09D005-7EBC-410A-8B91-736CB1F7A014.thumb.jpeg.03531c44679357788b34a75ffe9ae344.jpeg

A4DFCA19-ADA3-4C1A-857E-BE71CF3319EA.jpeg

I was playing in The Grace upstairs at the same time. Heard their soundcheck as we were loading in and the Dingwall was indeed a monstrous sounding thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

I was playing in The Grace upstairs at the same time. Heard their soundcheck as we were loading in and the Dingwall was indeed a monstrous sounding thing.

Wow, didn't know there was anything above the venue ( I'm from out of town and it was dark😆😆😆), hope your gig went well

Saw three bands at the Louisiana in Brisso last night. Some doom-y sludge fun from Orcon. An unremarkable middle set and then some proper quirky weirdness from a pair of lads going by the name of Vetna. A real journey through pretty much all of the genres - it was a bit like the soundtrack to a low budget sci-fi film and really quite enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Saw three bands at the Louisiana in Brisso last night. Some doom-y sludge fun from Orcon. An unremarkable middle set and then some proper quirky weirdness from a pair of lads going by the name of Vetna. A real journey through pretty much all of the genres - it was a bit like the soundtrack to a low budget sci-fi film and really quite enjoyable.

I really like the Louisiana, really good little venue and they get some great bands. The sound is usually decent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sykilz said:

Wow, didn't know there was anything above the venue ( I'm from out of town and it was dark😆😆😆), hope your gig went well

It was great, we've played at The Grace and The Garage on a number of occasions and it's always been a good night.

FB_IMG_1677447366638.thumb.jpg.de445d4605001d695264c622c51b6e54.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was Grade 2 at the Louisianna in Bristol. 

They are an oi punk band from the spiritual home of punk, The Isle Of Wight.

Absolutely brilliant show, the whole band are really talented, the bassist in particular was awesome, he had a real Matt Freeman style going on.

Support band Rats Nest were really good as well, three young lads with a ton of energy and talent. 

The louisiana is a great venue. Decent sound,decent beer, nice size room and it seems they have live music every night.

• Like 1