Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

7 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Great to see you both there, Neil, and a pleasure to chat during the break.  It was a good gig for us, definitely one of our best - an appreciative crowd makes all the difference, doesn’t it.

Good grief it was warm though!

Indeed, pub was buzzing.

First gig since the Covid hit...

Seasick Steve, Vicar St, Dublin.

Just him and his drumming powerhouse, Dan Magnusson. 

Absolutely excellent, great sound, although vocals could've been a bit better at the beginning, but that did improve.

For a guy his age, ol' Steve certainly wasn't lacking in energy, although he did play seated most of the show.

He also seemed to simply be having a great time, which I always love to see.

• Like 1

Went to see SLF in a small venue in Stoke called The Sugarmill. Cracking venue that pulls in some really good bands. 

The support were supposed to be Wasted Life,  a local band who are OK but something happened and they had to be replaced at the last min.  The ones who stepped in were called Christian Music. 2 lads, 1 on drums and the other on guitar, tiny keyboard and shouting.

I admire their guts to get up and play and in years to come they can say they opened for Stiff Little Fingers but imo they were dreadful.  By far the worst band I've seen live.

When they eventually went off there was 15 mins of seeing up then the lights go down and the theme from Minder starts playing. People are looking around and laughing but I saw SLF not long ago so know what this means. Anchoring myself on the barrier at the front, my mate saw me and did the same.  

5 mins of Minder and then it stops and "Go For It" kicks in.

The sound of 500 punks all giving it some "Doo doo doo, 

Doodoo doo doooo" fills the air and the band hit the stage launching straight into "Suspect Device"

3 massive wallops to the back and kidneys later and things start to calm down a little. 

1 1/4 hours of fantastic gig later the band shout goodnight and leave the stage. 

One of the best gigs I've been to in years, made even better being in a tiny venue. 

IMG_20220805_203620_376.thumb.jpg.c3e350b4bbf4d69bcb6cbdf94f441413.jpg

IMG_20220805_210529_937.thumb.jpg.a6a304caf8861ade372428fc71a51e41.jpg

IMG_20220806_072935_454.thumb.jpg.1b4c469004cfd9f540c7fa5514fffcd3.jpg

IMG_20220806_073010_385.thumb.jpg.67997d0e5e528750f4f2e353cc484daa.jpg

Awesome night. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to the Blue Lamp in Aberdeen to see one of the many bands @doc40hz is in. It was his Level 42 tribute band "Mr Pink". This is the second time I've seen them and they didn't disappoint. 👍 Great sound, playing, harmonies and as tight as a stubborn jam jar lid 🤣. If you get the chance to see them it's well worth going.

• Thanks 1

Cult Of Luna at ArcTanGent festival. Amazing live performance. So heavy it just sounded like the end of the world but there's so much musical interest going on in that crushing heavyness, much more than just low tuned guitar riffs. I think they stopped between songs once in an hour and a half. 

20220818_221349.jpg

I had the pleasure of being invited to see Gretschen Peters and KIm Richey at the Tivoli Theatre in nearby Wimborne on Friday night by Mickeyboro of this parish. Excellent sets from both artists ( and band) and a great opportunity to have a chinwag with another BChatter ( not during the sets obvs!).

• Like 1

20220828_152443.thumb.jpg.954a24c920d39ec7758be9d4a3177a9f.jpg20220828_144803.thumb.jpg.6e52cdb262519ca8d2f6e0218f7956a2.jpg20220828_144302.thumb.jpg.b9fca0ca5fd0bf17a6416980427bd806.jpg20220828_144739.thumb.jpg.49467bed8b5fd26e929d44349994dfe7.jpgWe just got back from the Blues Festival in Colne. I won't list all the awesome bands or mention a tiny few les do.

Butt.. Gerry McAvoy's Band of Friends. They only had an hour slot, but due to a cancellation were told they vould fo another half hour.

It was probably the best time I ever had at a gig. Grown men were weeping for joy. At the end everyone was walking around in a sort of blissful daze.

One golden moment,  we'd been at the front and my partner and another lady had been grooving all through.  During a song near the end Gerry went off to let the redt of the band rip. Then someone stepped paste and tapped my partner on the shoulder,  she turned round, saw Gerry and nearly shot through the ceiling. The other lady grabbed a huge hug as I failed to get a photo with more than his shoulder in!

The energy, musicianship and sheer fun and engagement with the audience was dimy awesome.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 23:57, Nail Soup said:

Ruts DC at Bedford Esquires… it was a one show as they were recording a video there in the afternoon. They were very very good!

Support band where spoiled by the sound engineer mixing the drum kit twice as loud as the rest of the band 😡!62F2E9C1-3ADC-4C54-992C-025347827E3E.thumb.jpeg.0fbb93d40375d47d731cf057702f7b1b.jpeg

Sounds fairly typical, I just wonder why, when they can hear it themselves, that they think it sounds ok. 

I’m sure Ruts were good though, always put on a good show and are decent chaps, Leigh especially.

A host of great bands at the Wokingham Festival yesterday. A great new young band called In Albion stood out, as did The Room but the stars of the show were the legendary Focus who were playing as part of their 50th Anniversary tour!

Apart from hearing all those fabulous songs live, the highlight was seeing how passionate Thijs Van Leer still is about music and how much he enjoys it. He was grinning throughout and his infectious enthusiasm for his music, performing live and connecting with the fans was a pleasure to behold...

Beyond epic! :)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Butt.. Gerry McAvoy's Band of Friends. They only had an hour slot, but due to a cancellation were told they vould fo another half hour.

It was probably the best time I ever had at a gig. Grown men were weeping for joy. At the end everyone was walking around in a sort of blissful daze.

I’m by no means a Rory Gallagher fan, but it’s great that Gerry can keep his work alive and bring such joy to the crowd.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Before, I was nervous that I would be disappointed. I did not expect it to be do good.

I felt the same way when I heard that Beefheart drummer Drumbo was going to ressurect the Magic Band without the Captain.

But the Magic Band gig I went to was one of my best ever gigs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pigface said:

Kraftwerk in Bonn on Sunday night. No pics, unfortunately. Little did I imagine, when I first heard 'Autobahn', that I'd be seeing (what's left of) them 47 years later. They were great, if you like that sort of thing.

Saw them when they headlined 2019 BlueDot fest. It was great to see them for the first time, me a near lifetime fan, even though there was no Florian Scheider there, not that anyone could tell

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 16:24, borntohang said:

We were booked for BlueDot in 2020 but sadly didn't make the reschedule - shame as it looked brilliant. We've played with Henge before and they're a great party.

Shame for you as again it was great. It's now the only must-go to festival for me and the mrs. The science talks and seminars are always very interesting and the line-ups always imaginative and eclectic. 

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Saw them when they headlined 2019 BlueDot fest. It was great to see them for the first time, me a near lifetime fan, even though there was no Florian Scheider there, not that anyone could tell

Yes, my first and probably only time. I feel the same as you did. Not a band I ever expected to see, similar to when I saw Johnny Winter in Leverkusen a few years ago not long before he died.

2 minutes ago, pigface said:

Yes, my first and probably only time. I feel the same as you did. Not a band I ever expected to see, similar to when I saw Johnny Winter in Leverkusen a few years ago not long before he died.

No, me neither.  When I was very young Autobahn was the first pop tune I heard that grabbed my attention. My dad had lots of Beatles 45s which I heard many times I didn't care for them then, still don't. Far prefer the Fab(elhafte) Vier to the Fab Four.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

No, me neither.  When I was very young Autobahn was the first pop tune I heard that grabbed my attention. My dad had lots of Beatles 45s which I heard many times I didn't care for them then, still don't. Far prefer the Fab(elhafte) Vier to the Fab Four.

I guess I'm a bit older than you. My folks also had Beatles stuff, and the Stones, CCR, Trini Lopez and Ray Charles. I loved all of that. They also had Pat Boone and Johnny Mathis, which I could have done without. By the time I heard Kraftwerk I was a teenager and was already listening to Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Dylan and Grand Funk Railroad. My musical tastes are somewhat chaotic 🙄. But 'Autobahn' was definitely something new and very different.

• Like 1

Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives in Bexhill on Sea last night. A perfect example of performance professionalism. Could not fault any part of the show, the sound or the members of the band. Chris Scruggs, Earle Scruggs grandson, did some amazing stuff on upright, including a frantic rendition of Wipeout. Surf music at a country music show? You bet.

Much use of b benders by Stuart on Clarence Whites old Telecaster and Kenny Vaughan on his. Harry Stinson on drums is a pleasure to watch, the man can really sing too. Last time I saw him was many moons ago at London’s Boarderline with The Dead Reckoners Kieran Kane and Kevin Welch. 
A fabulous evening’s entertainment, preceded by a fine dinner at a local Italian joint. 

• Like 2