Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Stiff Little Fingers in Brum. They still have it and then some. ‘Kin brilliant night. Support was Slim Jim Phantom Trio with ex stray cats drummer, they were not the best, technically tight but no energy for nearly all the set. They did one upbeat number and everyone was up for it, then back to the dirge. Shame.

I went to see Jinjer who were supporting Bullet For My Valentine at the Roundhouse.  Jinjer are so technical they need a headline slot to ensure their sound is perfect.  Still an excellent gig though.  
Eugene is an incredible bass player. 

16554655-3ADD-40E2-97D3-915CB771DD93.jpeg

4 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Stiff Little Fingers in Brum. They still have it and then some. ‘Kin brilliant night. Support was Slim Jim Phantom Trio with ex stray cats drummer, they were not the best, technically tight but no energy for nearly all the set. They did one upbeat number and everyone was up for it, then back to the dirge. Shame.

I saw them in Bristol last Thursday, last time was 44 years ago. Very impressed, and it was nice to see an old school setup on stage - wedges, no IEMs, no set, proper amps etc. Proper rock'n'roll band. I thought the Slim Jim Phantom Trio were rubbish frankly, just a load of very badly done covers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see The Bonnevilles in the tiny Retro Bar in Manchester last night...fantastic gig, they really are extraordinary, however...and brace for this...no bass player, and they didn't need one. Eeeeek. I've seen a few two-piece bands of late, just geeetar/vocals and a drummer, and while the others had the guitar running an octaver in a Royal Blood-inversion kinda thing, this time the guitar (and to an extent the drums, too) we simply and cleverly EQ'd to expand into the bottom end space, so there was no lack of heft*. Helps if you've got some great songs, too, and they do. They're playing for free in Leeds today/tonight, I can highly recommend them...

* No, not that sort of heft, calm down...

• 2 weeks later...

Moon Hooch at Manchester Academy 3. No bass guitars or any stringed instruments in fact, just a drummer and two wind players doing hypnotic loops and riffs over live dance beats. Rave with saxophones, basically. 

IMG_4901.thumb.jpeg.5e8123417399e53bbdc03de73930134a.jpeg

Previous to that, Korngold’s The Dead City at English National Opera. Amazing work, huge luscious orchestration, superb performance.  

• Like 1

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band last night at the Del La Warr in Bexhill on Sea. He, KWS, is obviously a very talented rock guitarist and he knows it, playing overly long guitar solos, with Status Quo style posing, to his devoted fans. But blues it ain’t. Well I don’t think it was as the vocals were largely drowned out by the guitar, which is a shame as when you could hear the singer he was very good. The bass was muddy and practically inaudible, badly eq’d in the kick drum. There was a very good keyboardist when you could hear him. 
The sound and mix is usually excellent in the venue and I’ve seen dozens of shows there, but last night was clearly biased towards the guitar player. And it wasn’t nice. I was bored after half an hour of repetitive loud widdling. 

On 21/04/2023 at 00:21, nekomatic said:

Moon Hooch at Manchester Academy 3. No bass guitars or any stringed instruments in fact, just a drummer and two wind players doing hypnotic loops and riffs over live dance beats. Rave with saxophones, basically.

I'm familiar with the band and would definitely take the chance to see them live.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a rather splendid gig, 10 minutes walk from my front door. It’s not every day that an ‘80s star visits the boondocks.

7F12A51F-3EE2-43C6-BA92-DF87DDDF3AB0.thumb.jpeg.a0d6f00589918973d10376678e457430.jpeg

EA3FB72B-A1D7-4058-B243-5D3018375379.thumb.jpeg.05ab71a90c07b5d084848af56e1f30dc.jpeg

9075D325-8CD2-4246-9FAA-F2FAF95E77B2.thumb.jpeg.08533ecc53d1630918b94cc2475bdafd.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 9

Two gigs in the space of a week for me! Tonight was Rich Hall in Birnam. He was both very, very funny and very clever. The second half was musical fun, with C&W as the basis; highly recommended.

9D92B3F9-DFA3-4556-9002-CE7F2FB5DC41.thumb.jpeg.3a6f337d9c5619ce05d10f3ed239fa84.jpeg

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Most recently, was at the Smashing Pumpkins & Janes Addiction gig at the Hordern when was back visiting Sydney, Australia about a month ago.

Pumpkins were solid, with Jimmy Chamberlain drumming always a highlight and once again he blew me away. The guy is an absolute beast! Different class! Have caught them a few times over the years, including at this same venue 25years ago (and at the neighbouring showgrounds when the Big Day Out was hosted there a few years before that as well).

Different story for Janes, who were on before hand. Perry was in full Perry mode and Dave Navarro was his usual awesome self, but having Eric Avery back on bass was the standout here. The guy stole the show imo. Hadn't caught them live in probably 30 years. Phenom!

7 hours ago, ezbass said:

Two gigs in the space of a week for me! Tonight was Rich Hall in Birnam. He was both very, very funny and very clever. The second half was musical fun, with C&W as the basis; highly recommended.

9D92B3F9-DFA3-4556-9002-CE7F2FB5DC41.thumb.jpeg.3a6f337d9c5619ce05d10f3ed239fa84.jpeg

I saw Rich a few years ago, and he did his Country alter ego Otis Lee Crenshaw for most of the show. 
Brilliant performer and a very clever guy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Just arrived home from Joe Satriani at The London Palladium. Wowser, he certainly can play.

Bryan Beller on bass too who is one of my faves. First time I’ve seen him play a fretless.

Saw him Tuesday evening in Bexhill on Sea. I agree he can certainly play a guitar, but honestly after the fifth or sixth number it’s all a bit repetitive. And extremely loud. Bass player was excellent with a fine sound from the Ampeg stack behind him.  The sound and lighting guys were perfectly synced with the music and the films projected behind him were very amusing. 
Sorry to say we left at the interval, along with a good few others. I’m pleased I saw him, we’ve had the tickets 3 years and we’re beginning to wonder if we’d ever see him. But I wouldn’t bother again. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

Saw him Tuesday evening in Bexhill on Sea. I agree he can certainly play a guitar, but honestly after the fifth or sixth number it’s all a bit repetitive. And extremely loud. Bass player was excellent with a fine sound from the Ampeg stack behind him.  The sound and lighting guys were perfectly synced with the music and the films projected behind him were very amusing. 
Sorry to say we left at the interval, along with a good few others. I’m pleased I saw him, we’ve had the tickets 3 years and we’re beginning to wonder if we’d ever see him. But I wouldn’t bother again. Sorry. 

No apology necessary.

The overall sound level where we were sitting (Grand Circle) was fine, but JS was too loud in the mix. It was tamed slightly for the second half, but could have still come down a bit.

Quite a few people didn't come back for the second half at ours either.

My main gripe is that doesn't seem to know how to finish a tune. He just goes on and on, far beyond what was recorded with endless dives.

Enjoyed it overall, but I wouldn't go again.

Will be seeing Beller again soon with The Aristocrats. Looking forward to seeing them again.

4 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

It’s a shame Chickenfoot are no longer active, they would definitely be worth going to see live.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No apology necessary.

The overall sound level where we were sitting (Grand Circle) was fine, but JS was too loud in the mix. It was tamed slightly for the second half, but could have still come down a bit.

‘‘Twas the same with Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Fine I suppose for all the guitar nerds in the audience getting their rocks off but way too much widdling for the sake of it. “Is this tune ever going to end”. 

Edited by Cliff Edge
  • Haha 1

A week ago now... When Rivers Meet at the Asylum in Brum... almost ducked it through another sort of anxiety attack even though I booked the meet and greet beforehand so glad I made it in the end, awesome performance and they are wonderful people as well...and a shout out to Arielle didn't catch all her set but an artist doing her own merch stand afterwards has to be supported 😀 

13 hours ago, nekomatic said:

IMG_5026.thumb.jpeg.25f7b873907a6ddb8ec5a7aa03dfeb7e.jpeg

Ladies and gents, I give you Moby Dickless. I’m not sure how they blagged their way on to the bill at a jazz festival, but I like it!

Always good to see the bass player taking lead vocals. 

Wild Willy Barrett and John Otway first came on my radar as a teenager in the 70s. Despite having a fair number of albums, fate meant I've never seen them live until last night. My brother and I arrived late, grabbed possibly the last two seats. Guess who were on the nextvrable watching the support. Lovely guys chatted at the interval and Willy managed the sell me a t-shirt and his latest lp.

20230520_202801.thumb.jpg.1f719df289df46af05285e824c660150.jpg20230520_205800.thumb.jpg.3d653570e0d2677ba9373bf615313626.jpg

• Like 4