Why become a member? ×

Feedback time - your opinions please?

Kiwi

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1366542472' post='2053682']
The matter of complaints, grief, shyte flying about (not that I have encountered it) is likely as not simply related to the number of members now registered. Where in the early days there weren't so many of us, you'd statistically have had few instances for grief but as numbers have grown, it would seem obvious that the quantity of incidents will increase. With more people communicating with 'more people' you've got a greater potential for friction and a greater variety of reasons to get fractious.

No idea how you resolve it mind! ;)
[/quote]

I think you're on to something there. In the several years I've been on here, there are at least a couple of members who I've had disagreements with in OT, yet after reading their posts on other topics, I come to realise that they're OK people who I'm actually glad we have around on the forum. I still hold a different set of views from them, but that's not such a problem. As the number of members increases, it gets harder to reach that level of understanding of where individual members are coming from, so the spats increase.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1366543414' post='2053705']
Never understood what so many people have against Off Topic. It can get heated at times but it's a million times more polite and interesting than the OT section of any other forum I've used.
[/quote]

I think it's a gigantic waste of time. I also haven't set foot in there since I was rounded on for "offending dyslexics" by having the audacity to start a thread about common misspellings on eBay (Squire, kneck etc.). So it's OK for some people to poke fun but if you're not part of the OT gang then you're not allowed to even attempt to be observationally mildly amusing? Fine. That was years ago, but I'm a grudge bearer. Any time I've appeared in there since, the thread has been moved into OT after my contribution. OT can poke it.

As someone who usuallymakes a donation to Basschat if I sell something on here, I have no problem with the £20 charge - I suspect I donated more than that last year as I made several sales.

As far as everything else is concerned, I recently recommended this place to an internet friend & he seems pretty happy with it.

Apart from the odd thing, & recently being told to 'loosen up' because I stated I was intolerant of profanity(!!!), I'm very happy here & think that is, by far & away the friendliest & most informative bass forum around.

And many thanks to the moderators.

G.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1366543704' post='2053710']
I think it's a gigantic waste of time. I also haven't set foot in there since I was rounded on for "offending dyslexics" by having the audacity to start a thread about common misspellings on eBay (Squire, kneck etc.). So it's OK for some people to poke fun but if you're not part of the OT gang then you're not allowed to even attempt to be observationally mildly amusing? Fine. That was years ago, but I'm a grudge bearer. Any time I've appeared in there since, the thread has been moved into OT after my contribution. OT can poke it.
[/quote]
OT is also restricted to members. That means members can talk about stuff like health concerns, relationships, whatever, and the support and help from other members is fantastic. So you should disabuse yourself of the notion it's all arseholes and elbows, it's not like that at all, there are very rarely contentious threads.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1366542299' post='2053675']
Good afternoon, Kiwi, and thanks for all the admin and mod tasks that you and the team take on so well. I frequent a few forums (fora..?), and moderate another, and so have some sympathy and reference points. It's all a question of balance, it seems. Once one knows a few of the personalities posting, things become easier to understand, as the permanent cynics and eternal optimists have different ways of expressing their point (often the same...). The personal savaging that a few have suffered is, it seems to me, the worst aspect, and happily extremely rare here (Intl comes to mind as an example of how not to best please a baying mob...). I'm not averse to a passing reference to any political or religious subject, especially one in the news, such a s the pope's passing, or the demise of Maggie, but a jocular post should not then become pretext for a dogfight.
In all, I agree with others that I know of no finer forum than this one (excepting perhaps the forum I mod for..!), and it is rare to see more than a couple of verbal bruises.
I spent quite a while on 'DrumChat', but abandoned a couple of years ago as, despite there being several fine correspondents, the 'PC' line was too squeaky clean for me; no way to mention anything out of line with redneck USA. A shame; I'm still awaiting the birth of DrumChat.co.uk, confidant that it would be as useful to British a nd European drummers as BassChat is to bassists.
I can't comment on the classifieds, as I have no use for them.
If the forum stays 'as is', I shan't be complaining. If it slides downhill, I shall be in there with my little finger in the dyke, shoring up as best I can. Keep on as you are; it's not as bad as that (yet..!).
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]
Thanks Dad, our Dev appears to have disappeared on us (yes, another one). We still have plans for Drumchat though. Thanks for your patience. :)

Thanks for all your kind efforts, Kiwi, Ped and horde. Two things here.

[i]Is there some blowback from the sale-fee thing?[/i] A bit, though not as much as I would have expected. That said, some may simply have folded their tents and disappeared into the night rather than kick up publically, but it's not as if massive gaps have appeared in our ranks.

[i]Is OT more grumpy than usual?[/i] Perhaps a little, but it's been a long, long winter capped off with the demise of a politically divisive figure, so one might expect a bit of underlying grump. Thing is, we still get silly bouts of nastiness on other sub-forums so it's not as if OT is the sole repository for grumpiness. I do wish we could [i]absolutely[/i] avoid politics, but there you go.

BC seems to me to just the same as usual and probably better than it might have been four years ago. The increase in the number of mods has helped while serious troublemakers, spammers and scammers swiftly fall to Hamster's flaming flyswat of doom.

So all in all, I think it's time we each kicked back and enjoyed the springtime.

Edited by skankdelvar

On Skanks theme....how great is nature?! ...My back yard/garden was a mass of weeds and rubbish when i moved in last year.
I went to town with the most powerfull weedkiller i could find and it cleared EVERYTHING......

I now have half a dozen Daffodils fighting their way through the wilderness :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1366543704' post='2053710']

[/quote]

One thing you have to get used to in OT is that sometimes you'll be misinterpreted, or jumped on for PC issues that may not even be so, I've no opinion on your issue, you may have overstepped the mark or be innocent, either way these things happen to us all in OT

My only feedback on this thread is that it's not needed, BC is fantastic and a small charge to sell in that section is far from unreasonable

Fee, bargain.
Politics, discreet has mentioned right wingers kicking off. Left wingers obviously didn't :lol: . It does boil my urine with the lack of respect, and I'm with Skank on the politics because EVERYBODY has the right to an opinion and on politics NONE of us are right. It is subjective, however the abuse narks me.
Having said that, discreet usually has me in fits of laughter so I will forgive his political naivity ;) (however you spell it).
So,Mods, fab job, fab site, all of the people............
Just to put it in perspective, I followed a link from here to some Twitter stuff regarding Boston. I was bordering on tears at the vitriol publically stated between some purported Americans and some purported Muslims. So much open hate it despaired me.
So I went back to "basses for sale"!

I can imagine why some people get pissed off. It's mostly old people with very fixed ideas about things, like old people do, and they have plenty of other old people to reinforce their beliefs. I don't want to upset the smarter old people around here so I should point out I'm using 'old people' as a polite way to avoid saying 'thick people'.

There are a handful of really great contributors who I think draw people in initially, but then they mostly bugger off again when they find out it's mostly thick people harping on about the same old bollocks for eternity.

I can't comment on off-topic because I've been banned from there for years. Can't say I miss it much, it was like reading the Daily Mail.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1366549978' post='2053813']
I can imagine why some people get pissed off. It's mostly old people with very fixed ideas about things, like old people do, and they have plenty of other old people to reinforce their beliefs. I don't want to upset the smarter old people around here so I should point out I'm using 'old people' as a polite way to avoid saying 'thick people'.

There are a handful of really great contributors who I think draw people in initially, but then they mostly bugger off again when they find out it's mostly thick people harping on about the same old bollocks for eternity.

I can't comment on off-topic because I've been banned from there for years. Can't say I miss it much, it was like reading the Daily Mail.
[/quote]

There's always one who could start a fight in a convent isn't there. That is exactly the sort of negative, insulting, un neccessary comment that spoils it. Am I rising? No, not really, I'm old so it would be the same old bollocks from me.

This forum has about 90% less agro than any other I post on. Debate causes argument. Its inevitable. We can't all agree on everything. If you find yourself getting annoyed, just leave the thread. If you find that certain posters consistently wind you up, use the ignore function.

Part of me wonders whether the increased vocalisation of displeasure has to do with the introduction of fees (even if that displeasure has nothing to do with the marketplace). Once money became involved the relationship between poster and forum changed a little bit---subconsciously at least people might now see themselves as a "customer", with all the expectations and so-on that that brings. I know that attitudes among students have changed since the introduction of tuition fees---there is an expectation among many that Universities will get them a degree regardless of how they perform, because they've "paid for it", despite that clearly not being the deal.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1366549978' post='2053813']
I don't want to upset the smarter old people around here so I should point out I'm using 'old people' as a polite way to avoid saying 'thick people'.

[/quote]

You? banned from OT? Can't imagine how that could happen.

Re the OP. No complaints here whatsoever but then I'm very shallow and a lot of stuff goes over my head.

I've always enjoyed BC and when (prior to the current system) I sold things I made a contribution to the BC coffers so the new pay to sell system makes no odds to me and if it helps fund something that I find enjoyable then that's all good. I like beer, I pay for it; I like food, I pay for it; I use the Internet, I pay for it; if I used eBay I'd have to pay for it. Why should BC be any different?

As to the general vibe currently being experienced I find that it comes in waves and this is nothing new. Some folks need to a) get over themselves and b ) only post something if they'd be happy saying it to someone's face, if you wouldn't then don't post (the times I've not hit the post button here, on Facebook and other forums has probably saved me untold grief and offence).

If people don't like it here then they can always go over to Talkbass and discover what real vehemence is, or just stay out of OT.

That's my £0.02 worth.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1366552200' post='2053850']
This forum has about 90% less agro than any other I post on. Debate causes argument. Its inevitable. We can't all agree on everything. If you find yourself getting annoyed, just leave the thread. If you find that certain posters consistently wind you up, use the ignore function.

Part of me wonders whether the increased vocalisation of displeasure has to do with the introduction of fees (even if that displeasure has nothing to do with the marketplace). Once money became involved the relationship between poster and forum changed a little bit---subconsciously at least people might now see themselves as a "customer", with all the expectations and so-on that that brings. I know that attitudes among students have changed since the introduction of tuition fees---there is an expectation among many that Universities will get them a degree regardless of how they perform, because they've "paid for it", despite that clearly not being the deal.
[/quote]
How much are the fees?Are we talking the £20 for selling stuff, or are there more fees to pay for certain services in the forum? I mean, if we are talking twenty quid to sell a £300 item, should people really get upset?The fee is clearly stated if you want to sell.If you are unhappy about the fee, then ebay is an option.Some people contribute without selling.I am not sure how much it costs, but i am sure there are certain costs to run a website such as this.You get free membership for most things.If people are getting upset about £20 for selling, then i would be surprised personally. A lot of forums, you have to pay too get anything out of it.

Depends if you sell a lot or not.
I don't sell much at all so have to weigh up the fact of whatever it costs to sell on here...and is it the best place to do so, if and when that times comes?
If you sell thousands of £'s of stuff then it will be worth your sub/fee.... no doubt :lol:
But again, that is if you think this is the place to sell.
I know a few sellers that may think it a royal pain as the low ball offers can be ridiculous and some people really don't read the adverts.. Why that might be exclusive to BC, I don't know.

My problem with a sub is that it is belated .... now that may be because the site has become expensive to run, or it may be that the proprietors want recompense for all the hard work effort etc ....but then that looses the community feel of it all.
The site is tin and admin..the real value is the DB and knowledge.

It is always difficult when sites move away from community to commercial...whether by design or accident but you lose something, for sure.
IMO.

FWIW, I don't think it has been a community much lately anyway... but it is what it is.

I think the more visual mods do ok...but then I never have anything much to do with them anyway...

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, then go do something else. Most sites have a finite life and use anyway, it isn't life-changing.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366553050' post='2053881']...are there more fees to pay for certain services in the forum?...[/quote]

Most is free, but certain more explicit 'services' can become costly. Leather thongs do wear out, and goats are not always willing to oblige without a little 'sweetener'. If you're tempted, go round the side door, knock twice and ask for 'Charlie'... :ph34r:

Personally, instead of taxing the sellers, I would make the classified forum only open to paid members. Tenner a year, buy / sell what you like. Maybe get a couple of benefits for paid members, could get a discount scheme with some online suppliers.

As for the general / off topic discussions, you're always going to get a conflict somewhere along the line, so just stfu and get on with it.
There are one or 2 of the older members who come across as they know it all and you're intruding in their little private club, but you get that anywhere where the stalewarts are!

Overall I reckon you're all doing a good job. Admin set ot the rules and make sure the logistics work, mods are there to enforce the rules. If people want to bash the mods or admin for enforcing rules, then f**k them off out of here.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1366554318' post='2053895']
Can someone clarify for me (name and shame) who these 'oldies' are?

I'm old, I've also been on this forum since the start and I'm fairly active on BC, yet I've not come across these belligerent 'oldies' that several posters have alluded to... so who are they?
[/quote]

No idea... I have not been here long enough to be an old git, for sure...
I am certainly not a member of any clique/club or this thing they used to call a community :lol:

The sales fee makes perfect sense to me. It's a service with a clear, quantifiable benefit (In the form of money in your pocket), which in many cases, is a pretty large benefit. £20 isn't too much to pay for something like that, IMO. I have noticed little bits of negativity and hostility here and there, but nothing that's really had an effect on my use or opinions of this forum. On the flip side, there's also threads (Particularly in OT) that put a smile on my face, because they really do show the community aspect of BC, which is something that's hard to achieve and maintain i'm sure. The mods, admins and everyone involved with the management and upkeep of this place is doing a brilliant job.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore