Why become a member? ×

Feedback time - your opinions please?

Kiwi

So its becoming a little clear to me with the Voodoosnake and Grand Wazoos threads and an observable drop in general silliness on the forum that there is some tension building within the community. Also, on the admin/modding side we're getting an overwhelming number of reports coming in for the mods to handle and not only can they simply not cope any more but they're being subject to a lot of hostility when following things up.

I'd be really interested to find out more about what's going on. Constructive feedback on anything, including how the classifieds are being managed at the moment would be really welcome.

I have no problem whatsoever with the new classifieds or with the mods, I paid my money and I advertise when I want to sell stuff.

I too have noticed a vocally disgruntled minority giving the place a dubious vibe of late. Far too much politics and not enough 'shits n giggles'!

I think the classifieds are being managed fine. The problem is with various people abusing the system, then having a hissy fit when they get caught out. Why £20 in exchange for a year's worth of selling [i]anything[/i] is a problem, is beyond me.

Otherwise... the recent death of Thatcher resulted in a vocal resurgence of the underlying right wing of the forum which was frankly appalling, but I'm not going to further any more so-called 'debate' on that subject.

On a personal note, I'm trying to redress the balance by being as silly as possible at all times (as usual) but of course this is not universally appreciated, so to those who don't like it, I say this: :on_the_quiet:[size=4] Thhhhpppp! Thhhhpppp! Thhppp! Thhhhhhhppppp!![/size]

Edited by discreet

I have only been here for a month, and it is the best forum i have been on, in any subject. Every question i have asked, 99% are really helpful.A couple seem to be wanting to make a fight for some reason, and some of those are quite amusing.I guess it is hard though, as some people look at things as banter, others see it as abuse.

I'm very happy with Basschat as a whole. I wouldn't want to be a Mod or Admin. Never an easy job. You can't please all of the people all of the time. As has been said, I am very happy to pay my £20 for a year's selling. How many thousand members are there here now? How many moaners are there? I would not be unhappy if Off Topic was removed, it's getting a bit Facebook these days.

Please keep up the good work Admin and Mods. :drinks:[size=4] [/size]

I enjoy all aspects of Basschat. I haven't sold anything on here but would be happy to pay to do so.....

My one experince of purchasing from here was very pleasant and friendly

As for the bad vibes...I just ignore the topics that end up with arguements ....to me it's a bit like The Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 ....a waste of time ....one person for something ,one against...and no resolution!....The only difference is Dr Dave usually comes along and cheers me up :D

Keep up the good work guys!

I wouldn't take the two threads mentioned in the OP as anything other than specific to the individuals involved. I don't think they represent the wider opinion of the membership at all. I've said many times that I try to stay out of Off Topic as it tends to wind me up (thats my fault, I fully recognise, for taking things too personally) - thats said I'm not sure OT has been any more controversial recently than at various other points in the past few years

So, it sounds to me the vast majority are happy. As for the others; introducing a charge for something that's been FOC for a long time is going to hrow up some moaners. My guess is it's probably members who don't contribute anything much other than stuff they're selling.

It's also unfortunate that on other sites, if you don't sell you don't have a charge. But on BC, you don't have the mechanism for only charging if it sells and it would cost too much to set it up.

But hey, when I was a kid the only option you had was placing a classified ad in the paper. That cost £5-10 then for a one-off ad, and if it didn't sell it was tough luck. You dropped the price and paid again for another week.

We get a lot for what we pay (in my case nothing so far). Thanks for a great site.

I like Bass Chat a lot. I have made some small purchases in the classifieds, which went very smoothly. The nature of the beast that are forums, means there will always be those who want an arguement, no matter what the subject is. IMO there is a difference between a heated discussion, where people hold strong views, but are also willing to see the other side of the coin. Then sometimes there are threads where people are talked down, without the person adding anything substantial. Thankfully, in my experience with the "General Discussion" forum (which is where I spend most of my time), the latter situation is the exception.

I think in threads where it is obvious that people are arguing for the sake of it, people should resist the temptation to fuel the fire by responding.

All in all, it is a great forum. :)

No problems here, I very happily paid my £20 without seeing it as a charge for selling, just as £20 well spent for the general everyday use I get from the forum, I rarely use the for sale section, but I know it's there if I need to. I thought from the start that however the 'charge' was introduced or labelled that it would cause a split, unavoidable :blink: :unsure: that I think is part of the 'tension'.

I'm quite happy to dip into off topic threads & if I don't like the agenda of a thread I don't look at it again - simple :happy:

As Raymondo says - it's a bit like Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show - sometimes I just have to turn it off :D

Never let your bollox dangle in the dust & never let the bastards get you down :P

Honestly? Basschat is like a 19th Century chamber tea party in terms of politeness when compared to the vast majority of other music forums.

I'm sure there are times when some of us could behave a little better. But such instances are very rare indeed.

I wouldn't let a few malcontents spoil the apple cart. But them I'm not privy to what happened.

For anyone that has been on here a few years it has changed a lot. I honestly believe for whatever reason that the general atmosphere has becoming a little negative, I have posted some very personal things on here in the past and have had some really supportive responses including PM's that really lifted me when I was going through a personal trauma. I think £20 is nothing compared to the quality of the website and where can you sell your gear without a whopping great charge, if people don't like it off to E-Bay with you!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1366535950' post='2053548']...Constructive feedback on anything...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Kiwi, and thanks for all the admin and mod tasks that you and the team take on so well. I frequent a few forums (fora..?), and moderate another, and so have some sympathy and reference points. It's all a question of balance, it seems. Once one knows a few of the personalities posting, things become easier to understand, as the permanent cynics and eternal optimists have different ways of expressing their point (often the same...). The personal savaging that a few have suffered is, it seems to me, the worst aspect, and happily extremely rare here (Intl comes to mind as an example of how not to best please a baying mob...). I'm not averse to a passing reference to any political or religious subject, especially one in the news, such a s the pope's passing, or the demise of Maggie, but a jocular post should not then become pretext for a dogfight.
In all, I agree with others that I know of no finer forum than this one (excepting perhaps the forum I mod for..!), and it is rare to see more than a couple of verbal bruises.
I spent quite a while on 'DrumChat', but abandoned a couple of years ago as, despite there being several fine correspondents, the 'PC' line was too squeaky clean for me; no way to mention anything out of line with redneck USA. A shame; I'm still awaiting the birth of DrumChat.co.uk, confidant that it would be as useful to British a nd European drummers as BassChat is to bassists.
I can't comment on the classifieds, as I have no use for them.
If the forum stays 'as is', I shan't be complaining. If it slides downhill, I shall be in there with my little finger in the dyke, shoring up as best I can. Keep on as you are; it's not as bad as that (yet..!).
Just my tuppence-worth.

Yep I have only praise for this excellent forum. In any demographic a percentage will be malcontents and as BC grows there will inevitably be more griping from those who don't like change. Lets enjoy what we have here - aim low, play bass

I really love coming here.. In fact I spend too much of my time here.

About the arguments, I just enjoy reading them but try not to post at all within them.

I haven't sold anything here yet but when I do I'll be happy to pay to do so.

Bought a bass and that was fine.

All in all, keep up the good work!

:D

The sales fee is just a 'given' and IMHO not worth discussion or debate... period.

The matter of complaints, grief, shyte flying about (not that I have encountered it) is likely as not simply related to the number of members now registered. Where in the early days there weren't so many of us, you'd statistically have had few instances for grief but as numbers have grown, it would seem obvious that the quantity of incidents will increase. With more people communicating with 'more people' you've got a greater potential for friction and a greater variety of reasons to get fractious.

No idea how you resolve it mind! ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1366542299' post='2053675']

I'm still awaiting the birth of DrumChat.co.uk, confidant that it would be as useful to British a nd European drummers as BassChat is to bassists.

[/quote]

I'm also looking forward to this - are we starting them off on colours or numbers?

Edited by mr zed