Why become a member? ×

Feedback time - your opinions please?

Kiwi

I think it is good that some mods post in threads and don't much mind about opposing opinions of posters, (unless the guy is being a dick about it..
which unfortunately, is life.) You're not going to like everyone in the pub so it is what it is.

:lol:

Edited by JTUK

If some people think this place is bad, the Status Quo forum on the bands official site was closed recently due to all the abuse that was being directed towards the band.

I think that the mods should give Discreet a position, something like Moderator of Silliness and when a thread gets too heavy, who you gonna call.....

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1366630196' post='2055018']
I think that the mods should give Discreet a position...
[/quote]

You're very kind, but I've already got one... facing east, left leg up on the mantlepiece, with my right hand waiting. :crazy:
Next week I'll be mostly standing on one leg and whistling underwater.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1366549978' post='2053813']
I can imagine why some people get pissed off. It's mostly old people with very fixed ideas about things, like old people do, and they have plenty of other old people to reinforce their beliefs. I don't want to upset the smarter old people around here so I should point out I'm using 'old people' as a polite way to avoid saying 'thick people'.

There are a handful of really great contributors who I think draw people in initially, but then they mostly bugger off again when they find out it's mostly thick people harping on about the same old bollocks for eternity.

I can't comment on off-topic because I've been banned from there for years. Can't say I miss it much, it was like reading the Daily Mail.
[/quote]

I've been around here for couple of years or so, but I don't post all that often, mainly just reading and using the classifieds (which by the way, are great, and I won't hesitate to pay should I have anything bass-related to sell in future). I can definitely echo some of the sentiments in this post. There's a definite trend in certain areas to reinforce subjective approaches to things to the point where an entire group of people can persuade themselves that they are objectively correct in their opinions. For example, the [i]"thou shalt not scoop mids" [/i]crowd. It becomes a little irritating when people point-blank refuse to accept that something that didn't work out for them has absolutely no application anywhere else and that anyone who takes that approach is simply beneath them, when surely whether or not scooped mids will work is simply dependant upon the context. Another frustrating one is the notion that every piece of music you contribute to will be better if you play the absolute bare minimum of notes you can get away with. Yet again, it's simply time and place, but what grates on me is the minority who simply refuse to acknowledge that there are viable applications for approaches which differ from their own, and in this particular case often with the condescending "[i]you'll understand when you've got as much dust in your hair as I have[/i]" mantra. It's horses for courses, and there's no right or wrong, but it sometimes seems that certain members here have reinforced their own understanding of things so much that to attempt to open their eyes to alternatives is to piss in the wind.

Anyway, moan over. This is a great forum and I think even with the slightly increased negatively recently it's still infinitely more friendly than the vast majority of other internet forums I've been on. Keep up the good work.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366630699' post='2055030']
You're very kind, but I've already got one... facing east, left leg up on the mantlepiece, with my right hand waiting. :crazy:
Next week I'll be mostly standing on one leg and whistling underwater.
[/quote]

honestly... as if you are supple enough to get your leg on the mantlepiece!! This post means nothing without photos ;)

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1366630196' post='2055018']
I think that the mods should give Discreet a position, something like Moderator of Silliness and when a thread gets too heavy, who you gonna call.....
[/quote]

I just realised, take a look at Discreet's latest avatar.

You wouldn't need to call him - Mr Spock could just beam him down... ;)

I have no issues at all with how BC is run, although i do find the fun seems ot have gone a bit these days.

What i have noticed is that deleting threads seems to get a few peoples backs up, and generally helps create new threads to talk about them.
How about archiving these threads, maybe in a separate area for members only, so the mods dont get accused of covering anything up etc, and we can use them as reference or whatever if needed.

This is one of the friendliest forums on the net IMO, but its only natural not everyone agrees with everything that's said, just like real life.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1366631786' post='2055064']

I've been around here for couple of years or so, but I don't post all that often, mainly just reading and using the classifieds (which by the way, are great, and I won't hesitate to pay should I have anything bass-related to sell in future). I can definitely echo some of the sentiments in this post. There's a definite trend in certain areas to reinforce subjective approaches to things to the point where an entire group of people can persuade themselves that they are objectively correct in their opinions. For example, the [i]"thou shalt not scoop mids" [/i]crowd. It becomes a little irritating when people point-blank refuse to accept that something that didn't work out for them has absolutely no application anywhere else and that anyone who takes that approach is simply beneath them, when surely whether or not scooped mids will work is simply dependant upon the context. Another frustrating one is the notion that every piece of music you contribute to will be better if you play the absolute bare minimum of notes you can get away with. Yet again, it's simply time and place, but what grates on me is the minority who simply refuse to acknowledge that there are viable applications for approaches which differ from their own, and in this particular case often with the condescending "[i]you'll understand when you've got as much dust in your hair as I have[/i]" mantra. It's horses for courses, and there's no right or wrong, but it sometimes seems that certain members here have reinforced their own understanding of things so much that to attempt to open their eyes to alternatives is to piss in the wind.

Anyway, moan over. This is a great forum and I think even with the slightly increased negatively recently it's still infinitely more friendly than the vast majority of other internet forums I've been on. Keep up the good work.
[/quote]

Go to the bottom of the class with that rant :lol: :lol:
That sort of individual thinking is frowned upon ..mostly by people who have read stuff elsewhere anyway
and assume it as their own forever more.

You could be on a few people's secret PM list now.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366635961' post='2055186']
It's true, sadly. I haven't even got a mantelpiece.
[/quote]

Well you'll just have to make do with the wainscot then.

PS @ Kiwi - I will try to give some sensible feedback at some point but don't have time for a considered reply atm

Just to add the numbers, I'd like to thank all the moderators for their time and efforts in keeping this forum going, in the atmosphere it has and the culture it has generated. Any personal contact I've had with any members has not just been acceptable, it has been fun and, I hope, beneficial both ways.

I regret it when things go wrong, often due to misunderstandings, but tip so many people into a pot and it's bound to happen. On the odd occasion I have seen this the moderators have appeared to be mature and fair.

Regarding the fee, I have recently sold a bass >sniff< and the fee allows me to continue guilt-free as I never got round to making a donation last time.

That's me feedback.