Why become a member? ×

Utterly gutted, quit the band last night

Clarky

Well that's the end of me and Rattlin Bone (and the new spinoff VoodooVille). The usual stuff - band politics - and I felt it was best for me to leave. I am absolutely gutted as I really felt the band could have gone places and I got on with most of the members really well. I will always be grateful for being given the opportunity as a virtual double bass newbie and I learned tons about playing in a big band, controlling a DB live and general musicianship.

I invested a huge amount in the band, in terms of time, emotion and money (you may have seen I have put up for sale the Bruce Johnson fretless I bought specifically for the retro/voodoo vibe of the band; and I may be selling more gear in due course).

I am not sure whether to start looking for a new band immediately or to take a breather. I'm inclined to the latter as I haven't spent as much of my free time with my family as they deserve.

When yesterday started I had no idea it would end up like that. I am very very upset that it has come to this.

Aw, sorry mate that sucks :(

Take a little breather for a couple of months and then see how you feel about playing music with other people again. I'm sure this won't turn you into some sort of musical recluse, and seeing as you're proficient on db and eb, I'm sure you'll get a gig nice and quick!

Truckstop

Def. Take a few months off ... But don't let it go more than that. Stick a date in your diary to start something new. I've been through this a number off times, the first time ended up bandless for years and my playing really suffered. At the end of last summer same thing again but I put the feelers out after a couple of weeks of leaving. About 6 weeks later I'd found something much better and due to me having just left the 'circuit' the band new of the previous band (had actually seen me play a number of times) so I didn't need to audition etc.. was just given a couple of CDs and left to get on with it.

Sympathise entirely. Things can get hijacked and distorted and little cliques can form and drive things in a way not envisaged, discussed or agreed upon.

Take stock and think about the next move. If you have been at it for a long time, then a step back is not a bad idea.

Sorry to hear that Clarky. My advice is take some time off, enjoy your family and when the fog clears you'll hopefully have a good idea of who you want to play with and where you want to go. When my original band of seven years split I was devastated but after a while I found something that I genuinely want to be a part of again. Good luck. And don't sell everything - you'll only end up buying it back!!!!

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice and sentiments. I won't go into detail, suffice to say that when band members have played in bands for up to 30 years together its natural they will side with each other in any arguments/issues. I was effectively the new kid on the block and my input was clearly not appreciated. Anyways, I am sure Rattlin Bone will keep going and make great music, just with a different bass player. I hope for their sake they find someone as committed and into the music as I was :(

Edited by Clarky

That's a huge shame Clarky, really liked what the band was doing and it [i]should[/i] have been a fun gig. Apart from politics it did seem that the band had major geographical issues as well from your previous posts!

Hope you find something good soon.

Mike

Whatever you do, Clarky, don't give up the DB. When I started playing one the trumpet player in our band said I'd never be out of musical work with a DB. At the time I thought "yeh, right". But it has turned out to be the case. As the others have said take a bit of time out. People now know of your playing. Word gets around.

Really sorry to hear this mate, it was clear how much passion you had for this band. Might not feel great now, but these situations often lead to new opportunities, and like you say you've had a lot of positive growth and learning as a muso from it so its by no means been time wasted.

Don't take too much time out, and don't shy away from leaning on contacts you've made whilst in this band to get word out that you're available - sooner or later, the right thing will come up for you. Good luck!

Just seen all this Clarky.
Really sorry to hear this Mate as I know how much time, effort and dough you have put into that band :(
I think your idea of a break and spending more down time with the family for a bit will be just what the Doctor ordered while you decide what to do music wise.

Cheers,
Jon