Why become a member? ×

In Memoriam

Kiwi

I've just looked at some of Shaun's old posts and see that he was the guy who's family took in the girl who was a refugee from the war in the Ukraine. 

He seemed like one of the good guys - a great shame he has gone at such a young age. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 6

On 05/10/2022 at 13:22, Rich said:

skb558

Posted by his wife earlier.

"It is with great sadness that I write this post, but my beloved Shaun died of a heart attack at the end of July, he was only 64. He loved being a member of Basschat and had forged some god friendships with fellow bass players. He will be sadly missed and I miss hearing him play bass from him room. Thank you for the years of joy you gave him. Louise (his wife)"

How sad.:(

• Kiwi changed the title to In Memorium

I heard just yesterday that basschat member, Markbass555, David Neill, has passed away after a battle with cancer.  I know he has bought and sold on basschat so some of you may have dealt with him.

David was a superb bass player and a thoroughly decent person who will be missed by his friends and family.

Frank.

• Like 2
  • Sad 11

On 07/11/2022 at 21:38, machinehead said:

I heard just yesterday that basschat member, Markbass555, David Neill, has passed away after a battle with cancer.  I know he has bought and sold on basschat so some of you may have dealt with him.

David was a superb bass player and a thoroughly decent person who will be missed by his friends and family.

Frank.

Very sad news indeed.  Another good guy gone.

• Like 2

• Kiwi changed the title to In Memoriam

@nationofzeros

Passed away tragically on Aug 23rd.  While Chris was a relatively new member and based in the US, he also called upon the support of the BC community in trying to trace the whereabouts of a Travis Bean bass that had been lost in transit.  The really tragic thing was that it was recovered by a shop in Oregon a matter of weeks after he had passed on, thanks specifically to the appeal he posted on here.  

His widow dropped us the following message last night: 

"Dear Kiwi

I am V, the wife/widow of the owner of the missing TB.  I am incredibly grateful for the resource which is Basschat, and your attempts to get hold of Chris which has meant I have been reunited with his missing TB - even if only virtually.  

He died on the 23rd August 2022.  The hospital  put him in a side room on the 10th August which had pseudomonas aureginosa in the shower water, which the hospital knew about.  As he was totally immunocompromised following 5 days of the most aggressive of chemos - he caught the bacteria and died of pneumonia, sepsis 10 days after admission to hospital. He was totally fit and well upon admission, with no symptoms.

The guy that sold Chris the bass, Henry Betz Brown, Bonfires Vintage has offered to refund me the money that Chris paid for the bass - ironically virtually a year ago.

Life is strange.  I have borrowed money from my mother to pay for Chris's funeral - the refund on the bass almost exactly covers these costs.

Kiwi, I would be grateful if you could let those member that commented on his story know that I am so grateful for their support and action.

With very best wishes

V"

@Fluid Druid at Bonfires Vintage of Portland, Oregon probably deserves a big thank you for being a beacon of honesty and integrity in these increasingly crazy times.  

• Sad 9

• 3 weeks later...

Had a PM recently from BC member@ash:

"Martin Nash - who was a member here and occasionally contributor has died. He’d struggled with his health for a number of years. He was known as Nashmonster on here and had a big collection of basses and some guitars. I traded with him many times and we kept in touch for a number of years on and off the forum.  He lived in Northampton and was a picture framer and restorer by trade. "

RIP @nashmonster

• Sad 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2023 at 09:28, Rich said:

RIP Bumnote

I'm really sad to hear this news about Nigel.. 

I'd heard he wasn't well from @Chimikea couple of months ago, but nevertheless, this is a surprise.

Nigel was an absolute gent who I bought a lovely, 1980s G&L SB1 from 3 years ago..

So I'm going to use it at my gig tonight in memory of him! 

RIP Nigel 😔

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/05/2023 at 11:32, gary mac said:

Very sad. I dread looking at this thread.

I know, I see it at the top of 'Unread Content' and I have a huge sinking feeling. We lost a member a few years back who although I'd never met in person I'd spoken to on the phone many times, and I sat absolutely stunned when I read it, and it seemed so odd given I didn't even know what he looked like. I guess one of the downsides of the huge number of people you meet via the internet compared to the old days of only knowing the people who lived in your street :( 

• Like 9

• 6 months later...