Why become a member? ×

Scale Length Preference (<30" - ~30" - 32" - 34" - 35" - >35")

Scale Length Preference (Bass Guitar)  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which scale length basses do you prefer playing? (Bass Guitar)

• <30"
    • ~30" (+/- 0.5")
    • 32"
    • 34" (+/- 0.5")
    • 35"
    • >35"

!Please note that I am interested in prefered scale length for bass guitars, not upright/double basses!

So I thought it would be interesting to see which scale length basses people prefer to play (multiple votes are allowed):

- Sub short scale: shorter than 30"

- Short scale: just about 30" (+/- 0.5")

- Medium scale: 32" 

- Regular long scale: 34" (+/- 0.5")

- Extended scale length: 35"

- Extended scale length +: longer than 35"

Personally I prefer standard short scale 30" for regular 4 string E standard tuning, and 28.6" scale length for tenor bass tuning (that is A standard tuning, like the 4 upper strings on a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning), which I, like Stanley Clarke, though without daring to claim anywhere near at the same skill level, really enjoy playing.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I voted 30”. I switched to short scale last year due to back issues and I’ve found that the ergonomics of an instrument that size just suit me better. It’s strange the way these things work out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

!Please note that I am interested in prefered scale length for bass guitars, not upright/double basses!

So I thought it would be interesting to see which scale length basses people prefer to play (multiple votes are allowed):

- Sub short scale: shorter than 30"

- Short scale: just about 30" (+/- 0.5")

- Medium scale: 32" 

- Regular long scale: 34" (+/- 0.5")

- Extended scale length: 35"

- Extended scale length +: longer than 35"

Personally I prefer standard short scale 30" for regular 4 string E standard tuning, and 28.6" scale length for tenor bass tuning (that is A standard tuning, like the 4 upper strings on a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning), which I, like Stanley Clarke, though without daring to claim anywhere near at the same skill level, really enjoy playing.

Is it worth adding a multiscale option, for example for Dingwalls that go 34-37"?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Is it worth adding a multiscale option, for example for Dingwalls that go 34-37"?

While I do agree that this poll expose  an issue in terms of people who prefer multi scale basses, it would get bit more complicated than such, as there to my knowledge exist both short scale, medium scale, long scale and extended scale multiscale basses, so I feel like adding that/those that would muddy the result.

It would be nice if people who prefer multiscale basses could just vote according to the longest scale measurement of their preferred multi scale instrument, and then specify their preference in a reply.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the ergonomics of the instrument. My 33" customs (I have 2) feel as long as my standard 34" P. However, my 35" Rob Allen feels much shorter than the numbers suggest. My 30" Mustang feels much longer than my old 30" shorty 'Ray.

• Like 2

Whilst I voted 34", which many of my basses are, in point of fact, it doesn't really bother me that much. Don't think I'd care to drop much below 32", though. 

What does disappoint me a little is that multi-scale basses seldom seem to go for a "best of both worlds"; 32-35" on a fiver, tuned GDAEB. Modern bottom, old school top.

I think there's a lone Ibanez that fills that niche.

Most everything else seems aimed at the 34-37" Djent metallers

• Like 1

Increasing decrepitude has forced me to shed my 34" scales and I now have a rack full of lovely 30" (+/-0.5") basses, save for one 32".  I love them and, although I've always dabbled with shorties, wish I'd made the complete change over permanently years ago. :)  I mean, I can fit 2 basses in their gig bags (Thomann E-Guitar Deluxe fits all my shorties) width ways across the inside of my boot and shut it!  What more do we need? :D 

• Like 3

As the 4001/4003 is 33.25", it doesn't quite fall into either the 32" or the 34" (+/- 0.5") categories.

Ric players are being discriminated against again!

Rights for Ric's!!!!!

:D Can't help myself... ;) 

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

I've owned bass guitars with pretty much every scale length from 26.5" to 36".

I don't have any problems moving between them, in fact I went from playing a 30" bass for most of the 80s to a 36" for most of the following decade. I do prefer a 30" scale for my Bass VIs though.

So I voted for everything except 35" and 32" as the only 32" bass I've had was a cheap and nasty Futurama 1 Bass, and I've yet to play anything with a 35" scale length that had a better sounding and feeling low B string than a well made 34" scale bass.

• Like 1

I have only ever tried 30", 34" and 35" (OK, and a Rickenbacker which was 33.25"). Having owned a hollowbody shortscale before, I was quite surprised by how tight my 30" Atelier Z still feels and sounds and it has made me very curious about 32" scale basses as a nice middle ground. I think it might just suit me very well! 

I voted 34" because it is what I am most familiar with, but I think I would favour 32-33". 

• Like 1

Scale is not that important to me, however, I did try a short scale Stingray (one of the Joe Dart ones IIRC - not sure what the scale would have been) in a shop near Shuker HQ once and I really didn’t like it at all. The over-riding factor for me is neck width/depth. My one concession to less than 34” is a 32" scale Status Series 2 five string which I absolutely love.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1

As a sort of status update on the results of this poll so far, what really surprises me is that it seems that there are more people preferring their bass to have an extended scale length, that is 35" and above, than there are people preferring a 32" medium scale length.

The remaining numbers though are pretty much in the ballpark of what I suspected them to be.

I am quite sure though that had this poll been put up just 10 years or so ago the percentage of people preferring short scale basses, that is basses with a scale length of just about 30" or so, would have been considerably lower.

Short scale basses has really received a massive attention in recent years, becoming a regular trend, with most bass/guitar brands offering at very least one short scale model, and short scale basses are no longer considered lesser second grade "beginner" instruments.

I voted all options except >35".

Because I've never played an extra long scale so I can't comment.

I get great enjoyment from playing basses that feel different,  so swapping scale length always feels good.

That said, it took me a month to realise my long scale fiver had a 35" scale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As a sort of status update, so far what really surprises me is that it seems that there are more people preferring their bass to have an extended scale length, that is 35" and above, than there are people preferring a 32" medium scale length.

The remaining numbers though are pretty much in the ballpark of what I suspected them to be.

I am quite sure though that had this poll been put up just 10 years or so ago the percentage of people preferring short scale basses, that is basses with a scale length of just about 30" or so, would have been considerably lower.

Short scale basses has really seen a massive focus in recent years, becoming a regular trend, with most bass/guitar brands offering at very least one short scale model, and they are no longer considered lesser second grade "beginner" instruments.

Yep, for me I went short scale due to back issues, if it hadn’t been for that in all likelihood I wouldn’t have even thought of short scale. I dare say that’s probably a factor with many of us. 

• Like 1

I have 30/32/34

If I'm seated for a jazz gig - it's always 30.

If I'm playing with a pick and Fronting / singing then it's 30 or 32. I can swap between those very easily. 

34 gets used the least these days, but I do love the tone of my Sandberg so it's not going anywhere, but it is now definitely last in line.

I've had 35 and over and I do not find them comfy at all.

• Like 1

I prefer a 34". However, I'm also quite happy on an 18" Ashbory, and I have a 32" acoustic which is very comfortable and has an excellent sound. Then again, I also have a 36" 6er which is very playable, and an Ibanez multiscale (33-35).

• Like 1

Most of the time I am playing a 33, 34 or 35, and don't really feel much of a difference between them, certainly not as much as the neck width or string spacing. 

I do have some 30s, and I have nothing specifically against the scale, just that those specifically are not favourites.