Why become a member? ×

Is BC a community, or just a source of information?

Rayman

It’s a very good community in my opinion, I’ve met up with many people here, mainly when I’m parting with money for something 😁, and everyone of them have been great, I’ve a lot less on my ignore list than I used to and I think that’s because it’s so well moderated now (thanks mods 👍),  I’m always chatting with someone by PM and I’ve received great advice and knowledge from many about things when I’ve asked, I’m not going anywhere so I’m afraid you’re stuck with me 😁

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I tried Talkbass initially but was very, very quickly made to feel most unwelcome by shouty idiots, I joined BC in 2014 and it's been a huge source of information, has completely changed the basses and amplification I use and it quickly became a forum I use every day. Everyone I have met, both at Bass Bashes and whilst buying and selling gear, have been lovely folk, turns out that bass players are very reasonable. As a dyed in the wool misanthropist BC has been a real surprise, certainly the closest thing to an online community that I've ever experienced. If you want to discuss minute details about obscure Japanese basses from the 70s you can, or, if you want to contribute to a 3346 page long thread filled with absolute nonsense about FA then you can do that too. The aforementioned thread was a huge refuge for me during lockdown and several of the contributors have become friends off site, so I'd say BassChat is both a glorious source of information and a community. In fact, I'd go a little further, it is actually exemplary in that the Internet is, of course, famous for shouty rude nonsense spouted by vacuous bellends, I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, don't get me wrong, I've tried, but invariably someone has said something stupid or rude within seconds of joining, so to find a genuine online community and resource like BC appears to be incredibly rare. I know we have the occasional spat, but really, given how many of us frequent the place, you have to say it's incredibly civilised. I'm rambling, essentially I'm proud to be a member* here, long may BC continue.

* easy tiger

"shouty rude nonsense spouted by vacuous bellends" - that has to be quote of the year for me. 🤣😂😅🤣

where else would we be treated to this level of comment. - love it. I'd like to hope it's a community focussed on helping like-minded bassists, even although I've never met a soul on here.

• Like 4

I’ve only met one other BC-er @Dad3353 in real life and it happened to be a life changing experience due to the circumstances. Due to my out-of-the-way location I’m unlikely to bump into many other BC-ers, if any at all, but it still feels more like a community than any other online place.

I never bothered with TalkBass, can’t be doing with walking on eggshells around the many persecution complex afflicted nutbars who populate it. And I’ve never had to put anyone on the ignore list here. It just seems like a more easy going place 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s a well moderated site that serves as an excellent resource. When you seek more info and opinions within the forum it has felt, at least for me, more like a community. I look at other bass-related sites but feel most at home with BC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

"shouty rude nonsense spouted by vacuous bellends" - that has to be quote of the year for me. 🤣😂😅🤣

It's a good'un, but for me it's pipped by this one: 

45 minutes ago, meterman said:

can’t be doing with walking on eggshells around the many persecution complex afflicted nutbars

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

where else would we be treated to this level of comment. - love it. I'd like to hope it's a community focussed on helping like-minded bassists, even although I've never met a soul on here.

Makes a good album name as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the test is when we attend Bass Bashes and even though we may not recognise others as soon as we introduce ourselves a conversation ensues as if we've known each other for years, which we have, sort of.

I've made many friends here, you don't get that from a dictionary or an encyclopedia. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I think the test is when we attend Bass Bashes and even though we may not recognise others as soon as we introduce ourselves a conversation ensues as if we've known each other for years, which we have, sort of.

I now hope that someone other than me will attend a Bass Bash and claim to be Pseudonym.

• Haha 8

I'm new here, but so far I've certainly been treated like this is a community, even if all I've really done so far is ask for information.

Hoping to start being able to take part as a member of the community when I have something I think might be of value to share with you all.

Mark

• Like 6

I’ve also been around since the 100-odd members of bassworld days. I’m fact, my first interaction was a bass swap and the member sent me their bass first on trust as I was a newbie! I’ve met a few members over the years and have always found this place a great solace in tough times. 
it’s usually my first and last port of call each day, even though I don’t post that much nowadays. Love this place. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

have always found this place a great solace in tough times. 
it’s usually my first and last port of call each day,

Likewise. The depression thread alone is a great example of the support available here. 

• Like 5

Great idea for a conversation @Rayman@Rayman 👍

Another BassWorlder here too...

Think I joined in 2006, so it's now 17 years of having the best possible 'bass community' experience imaginable IMO. 

Echoing what many have said already, this place is a community that enriches you, entertains you, inspires you - sometimes annoys you - and most importantly of all for me, it helps you. 

I've simply lost count over the years of the times that Basschat members have helped me out with things ; technical help, playing help, gear loans, deps, advice etc, etc. The list is endless. 

When I started playing bass in the mid 70s, there was next to nothing available to help you get started... I would have loved to have had something remotely like Basschat back then. 

Through buying and selling gear and from being involved in the South East Bass Bash since 2008, I've been lucky enough to meet loads of Basschatters in person, and made some very good friends along the way. 

So for me, Basschat is a community first, and an amazing information resource second. 

It's priceless really, when you think about it.

Talking of priceless, I still miss Big Beef Chief - his contributions were off the Richter scale funny! 😂

• Like 7

Both, but a real community in the best definition of the word.

BassChat is the one and only forum or social media where I'm active.

I've also been banned forever from OnlyBass (oh, really 🤔 😂 )or jailed from a few fora over the years for excess of honesty, which is too often considered as patronising.

Due to my also remote location, it's not easy to meet you guys, but I managed to meet of a few dozen of members in the flesh and have active WhatsApp communication with a lot.

Last year, I had to take a break and came back (sorry for those who put me on their ignore list, something that I discovered a few months ago and thought didn't exist) as it's a real community where I noticed that even after having words with one or more members, everything is almost instantly resolved by common sense.

And I'm proud of two threads that don't and won't exist anywhere else, because they wouldn't have last more than 3 posts, but here, because nobody has that big head from over the pond, they stay and last.

The first started as a "rant" by myself and quickly became a non sense thread where you put anything you want to say without reading anything with 99 pages and the other where I've been active for a while is a complete delirious proof that delirium tremens doesn't especially mean excess of alcohol with 3349 pages (right now)!

Cheers girls, yes it's so very rare to have you on fora, and boys! :drinks:

• Like 7

Truly a community. This place is the best for many reasons, but the main one for me is the warmth of the folk on here, who are so generous to help out and offer friendly and useful advice. Such a huge amount of experience willingly shared, it's marvellous. Also, plenty of wise, old heads relaying their gigging exploits down the years has led to some tremendously interesting and funny stories! And, it's addictive! I should be working right now but I feel the need to mooch around Off Topic for a while. Carry on, Basschat, it's a great place to be.

• Like 8