Why become a member? ×

Is BC a community, or just a source of information?

Rayman

5 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I now hope that someone other than me will attend a Bass Bash and claim to be Pseudonym.

I'M PSEUDONYM !!! :laugh1:

Not sure when i joined but it was a while back. For me its a community with lots of expert advise and always someone there to help whenever you ask.

When i first joined i did see a lot of arguments on BC but recent years its been a lot more friendly.

Mods are doing an excellent job and always fair, understanding and very helpful.

I just enjoy browsing thru BC and finding something new.

I know lots of fantastic people on here but only a few in person who have all been top people when i've actually met them. Afraid Bass Bashes have died a death up here. Can't remember last time i was at one. Moffat being the only one i've been to.

I'm on TB too and i know some amazing people on there too but i do find it more argumentative and i have to watch what i say.

I have more conversations on BC than social media. I've learned lots and i've admired so many fellow bassists on BC. Every time i login its like coming home.

Love it.

Dave 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

The first started as a "rant" by myself and quickly became a non sense thread where you put anything you want to say without reading anything with 99 pages and the other where I've been active for a while is a complete delirious proof that delirium tremens doesn't especially mean excess of alcohol with 3349 pages (right now)!

A great example of a situation being defused to the point of absurdity and then taking on a life of its own.

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm on TB too and i know some amazing people on there too but i do find it more argumentative and i have to watch what i say.

Here, with some obvious thread exceptions, there are just lots of eyes rolling at the screen without the the need to put fingers to keyboard. It's a different kind of approach and BC is certainly the winner because of it.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 3

I've been here since 2006, and though I don't post much, have had some really good interactions with the peeps here.

Initially, it was information, but quickly developed into the community that it is now.

I think I've only ever met a couple of BC members, via sales but I've had so much help (Shergold Snickers, where are you now ?), fun (again Big Beef Chief), and laughs over the years.

Long may it continue.

PS I've also been on Bass Talk, but these days they don't write, don't phone, send postcards nuthin' 

:scratch_one-s_head:

• Haha 2

On 02/05/2023 at 13:21, spacecowboy said:

Bassworlder here too!

I joined Bassworld back in the day so I could message someone who had an EBS cab for sale that I was desperate for at the time, the cab is looooooong gone but I am still hanging about here all these years later 😃

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Rumple said:

I joined Bassworld back in the day so I could message someone who had an EBS cab for sale that I was desperate for at the time, the cab is looooooong gone but I am still hanging about here all these years later 😃

That sounds familiar... 🙄😁😂

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

That sounds familiar... 🙄😁😂

I joined Bassworld early on to find a specific bass I wanted to buy, IIRC first response was "You'll never find one of those" while the second was "There's one for sale here.......". Pretty much sums up this place, and humans in general 👍

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Jeesus.. I went on TorkBass and was banned forever within a week or something. 

I haven't had any problems. Mind you, in 17 years, I've only made 15 posts. I suppose I have to refrain from saying anything about Fenders or headstocks if I post there any more.

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I haven't had any problems. Mind you, in 17 years, I've only made 15 posts. I suppose I have to refrain from saying anything about Fenders or headstocks if I post there any more.

Or Rickenbackers, or anything humorous, or......... 

• Haha 2

Before discovering BassChat I went on TalkBass. As people on here might be aware, I like to rant… I had bought a 15” bass speaker, but was having problems with distortion when playing anything below the G on the E string.

I went on TalkBass and had a moan. A couple of people told me (not suggested) that I had put it in the wrong size cab. I said that I didn’t think I had. I didn’t go back for a couple of days, but when I did there was about four pages of people angrily telling me that I had put it in the wrong sized cab!

So, I told them the measurements of the cab, which were pretty much bang on what they should have been for that speaker. And no one said a word.

It turned out that a preamp in my signal chain was clipping…

I had a similar experience on an angling forum. I had caught a lovely, good sized Crucian Carp and posted a photo of it. Cue several pages of people insisting that it was a Carp/Brown Goldfish hybrid… I knew that the venue didn’t have Goldfish and that they had a good stock of proper Crucians. The thing was, the only way to tell was by the fin shape, which wasn’t visible in the photo! They even admitted that couldn’t know because there was no way to tell by what they could see, but still, it was definitely a hybrid!

I didn’t hang around after that.

• Haha 4

Turns out I've been here since 2011, also mainly a lurker, but bought many an item, and sold a few too, many dodgy deals in car parks after dark lol! Never met a bad BC'er, love the sense of fun here. Just now having a PM chat with another bassman who I actually worked with a few years back, and neither of us can remember why, hopefully meeting up for coffee and a natter sometime soon. Also met a guy who I apparently went to school with, abeit a few years apart, this forum is absolutely amazing and long may it continue!!

• Like 5

Thought i'd check when i joined and it was way back in Nov 6th 2010. WOW how time flies.

Naive, shy and just a lad. Now i've grown up, retired and dare i say like to moan about things from time to time.

I wasn't even playing in bands at that time so i'm wondering what my main reason for joining was. Looking for advice on what gear was popular and good at that time before joining a Deep Purple tribute in 2011. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 19:23, TheGreek said:

I think the test is when we attend Bass Bashes and even though we may not recognise others as soon as we introduce ourselves a conversation ensues as if we've known each other for years, which we have, sort of.

I've made many friends here, you don't get that from a dictionary or an encyclopedia. 

I would think 'befriend' is going to be in every dictionary.

• Haha 2

On 02/05/2023 at 12:08, Frank Blank said:

I tried Talkbass initially but was very, very quickly made to feel most unwelcome by shouty idiots

I like TB its expansive and they talk about a lot of stuff but you have to be careful...Yanks have a weird way of responding to humour ...I've come unstuck a few times...especially waxing lyrical about my Squire P bass...haha. 

• Haha 3

Just now, greavesbass said:

I like TB its expansive and they talk about a lot of stuff but you have to be careful...Yanks have a weird way of responding to humour ...I've come unstuck a few times...especially waxing lyrical about my Squire P bass...haha. 

Indeed it is expansive and a really good resource of info and advice which I've continued to look at, I just don't comment on anything.

• Like 1