Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy's 'Boys are back in Town' as you've never heard it before

musicbassman

@skankdelvarposted a genius explanation of the motivation for this type of band a while back, wish I could find it. Either way, I found the whole thing a pretentious and overly self-conscious affair; too many musicians, too much technique, too little of value to do with that technique 😕

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

These miscreants look to be enjoying the same song a whole lot more, can't think why...

To be fair, it's not right to compare two different songs that just happen to share a title; as in The Power of Love by Frankie GTH and The Power of Love by Hughie Lewis &TN. 

Oh wait... The Happy Mondays WERE playing the same song!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I'm on the fence about this. 

Tredici Bacci do some odd arrangements of songs but this one's so way outside the field that some may think it's edging towards a send up.

I thought some of you might like a listen to draw your own conclusions.  It was a great song, after all.  🙂

This was probably a very amusing idea which really shouldn't have been more than that. There's such a disconnection between the vocal delivery and the lyric that it just sounds like a prolonged joke. The arrangement is nice, and with a cello or a viola playing the melody line it might have worked, but to me, that sounded pretty bad.

As a reciprocal arrangement, maybe someone should ask BlackBerry Smoke to do a version of The Flower Duet from Lakme. 

15 minutes ago, stewblack said:

God you're a miserable judgemental bunch aren't you.

If they enjoyed making it then good luck to them. 

Enjoying playing music is one thing. They clearly recorded it to get some attention so job done 👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

God you're a miserable judgemental bunch aren't you.

If they enjoyed making it then good luck to them. 

yeah but at least they could do it in the privacy of their own bathroom. Thing is it's just not new. Over the last several decades there've been thousands of groups doing rock covers whether in a jazz, classical, easy listening, redneck hoe down, metal stylee ....

or  

• Like 1

Awful, sorry but someone has to say it. Their basically taking the Michael, its pretty disgraceful. This tune was written by a band with an image...the tune fitted the image with immense hutzpah and attitude and that's what the tune is......Thin Lizzy.

Put it this way. Nobody messes up or, "has a go at re-arranging" classic pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin.  Sorry but this type of woke nonsense (ie everyone should be allowed to do there thing)  kinda rattles my sensibilities. It's not just this you hear it all the time on TV ads too....hideous autotuned/edited mash ups of fantastic old tunes. Ugh. No thanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Awful, sorry but someone has to say it. Their basically taking the Michael, its pretty disgraceful. This tune was written by a band with an image...the tune fitted the image with immense hutzpah and attitude and that's what the tune is......Thin Lizzy.

Put it this way. Nobody messes up or, "has a go at re-arranging" classic pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin.  Sorry but this type of woke nonsense (ie everyone should be allowed to do there thing)  kinda rattles my sensibilities. It's not just this you hear it all the time on TV ads too....hideous autotuned/edited mash ups of fantastic old tunes. Ugh. No thanks.

Can’t argue with any of that 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Put it this way. Nobody messes up or, "has a go at re-arranging" classic pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin.  Sorry but this type of woke nonsense (ie everyone should be allowed to do their thing)  kinda rattles my sensibilities. It's not just this you hear it all the time on TV ads too....hideous autotuned/edited mash ups of fantastic old tunes. Ugh. No thanks.

But they do

Re-contextualising old tunes is what music is all about - especially jazz.

Sinatra reharmonised Yesterday. Is that woke?

Wokeness is about not being bigoted, racist, or wilfully offensive. It’s also about being a better person. if you find that offensive, it says more about you..:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

Nobody messes up or, "has a go at re-arranging" classic pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin.

I am afraid they do. There is a rash of re-imagining Vivaldi's Four Seasons around at the moment.

For the record I have not listened to the cover at the top of the thread but I was listening to the Live and Dangerous album last night. A band is only as good as it's drummer. Brian Downey is a total master - he has sublime feel.

4 minutes ago, Owen said:

I am afraid they do. There is a rash of re-imagining Vivaldi's Four Seasons around at the moment.

For the record I have not listened to the cover at the top of the thread but I was listening to the Live and Dangerous album last night. A band is only as good as it's drummer. Brian Downey is a total master - he has sublime feel.

Live & Dangerous is glorious 👍

That's awful in my view. I feel really sad that so much work has been put into that and they're version adds nothing to the song; it detracts. This is your classic situation of lazy musicians thinking that slowing something down and playing it acoustically will instantly make the song more heart felt and meaningful. I'm all for reworking old tunes, and there's a definite art to it, but this is uninspiring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1