Why become a member? ×

Thin Lizzy's 'Boys are back in Town' as you've never heard it before

musicbassman

14 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Didn't think much of it, nor did I think it was woke. However, what a great idea! I'll be doing my own slowed-down ukulele arrangement called 'The Non-Binary Are Back In Town' 👍

Better play it on a Theykulele then.

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Wokeness is about not being bigoted, racist, or wilfully offensive. It’s also about being a better person. if you find that offensive, it says more about you..:

I think different people have different experiences of wokeness, I certainly don't recognise that account, so perhaps our experiences differ mate 👍

• Thanks 1

Why can't we say that something is deep dire when it really is?

Where is the problem?

Mediocrity is and will always be mediocrity.

Wokism is pure bullshìt, it's like saying I'm not what I'm not because I am what I am while being what I'm not when I am.

Take a decision: it helps going ahead instead of turning in circles.

19 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

When slowing a song down and using strings and brass causes offence.
A song consists of melody line and chords, then you take it from there.
Just use your imagination.
A punk rock version of Mull Of Kintyre would probably set some people kicking their laptop screens in...

Just leave Lizzy to slow their own versions down, here is a classic example.

• Like 4

On 24/04/2023 at 15:17, greavesbass said:

They've taken a raunchy tune what the woke lot today would be offended by and turned it into mush so as to be safe...which it isn't and should never be ...I give up.

I consider myself to be what you neofascists refer to as "woke", ie. I have some humanity and empathy, and I don't consider raunchy music to be offensive.

• Like 1

That was pretty “Meh”. Two downbeat Lizzy covers I do like are Sade’s version of Still In Love With You and Emm Gryner’s Running Back from her “Songs of love and death” - an album of Irish rock song covers.

Also in the “Meh pile” - The Corrs version of Old Town.

in the flippin excruciating pile is Metallica’s Whiskyin the Jar.

On 24/04/2023 at 09:23, BassTractor said:

I liked it.
Would have preferred a different mix (lower solo voice) and less live antics, but at the core I liked it.

I liked it too, and the rest of you are a bunch of humourless curmudgeons with no imagination.

While I would have tweaked a couple of things about their arrangement if I were in charge, I thought it was a wholly unironic tribute to what a good tune the original is, while at the same time transforming it from (superficially at least, I don't know if there's a subtext) a beer-soaked celebration of bad behaviour into a rather wistful elegy for it, as if describing something long gone and somewhat missed. Which would be rather anti-woke, if you think about it.

• Like 1