Why become a member? ×

What did you grow up on?

Horizontalste

I'm sat in my kitchen right now listening to Brother's In Arms, the great album from Dire Straits & this got me thinking.

I was only a kid when Mark & co were tearing up MTV but this particular album is so ingrained in my subconscious that I can't help smiling & tapping a foot whenever I hear it. 

My love is born out of sheer exposure as a kid. I was fortunate enough in that my parents had a great & varied taste in music & our house always had something great coming from the speakers.

So just for fun, what were you listening to as a kid that has stayed with you into maturity? (I use the term maturity very loosely 😁)

• Like 3

My Mum listened to The Rolling Stones and Mario Lanza.

My Dad listened to The Beatles, Rick Nelson and The Shadows.

My Sister listened to Barry Manilow, David Cassidy and Queen.

My Brother listened to Earth, Wind & Fire, Santana, Mike Oldfield, Osibisa and ELO.

I majorly took my brother's influence, added Queen from my Sister, and then followed my own path using those bands as great starters....

I do now also own Stones, Beatles, Rick Nelson & Shadows stuff too though ;)

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

My mom played keys & had an organ in the dining room, probably didn't realise at the time but I loved hearing her play.

She's responsible for my liking of Deacon Blue, The Waterboys, Bob Marley, Enya, Elvis Costello to name a few.

When I was DJ'ing in the clubs in my late teans she developed a liking for house music so I guess it was a two way street.

*Edit, my mom is also responsible for my username, I was dubbed "HorizontalSte" on account of how much lying down I did 🤣

Edited by Horizontalste
Added useless info!
  • Like 1

Gregory isaacs 

Bob Marley 

jimmy cliff 

augustus pablo 

And I can remember being at school listening to pink Floyd, which I still like to now and again 

mum and dad liked all different music really, Motown, reggae, dean martin, Neil diamond, and those awful albums called, Top of the Pops 😁

• Like 1

My Dad was a pro Jazz drummer before I was born and I didn't like any of his music. I think he tried forcing it on me too early so I now take a dislike to jazzy stuff, even though I am sure I am missing a trick with it. The only Jazz I like, he classes as rubbish.

My Mum was a different story. She was into rock n roll, country and soul. Three albums that had a massive impact were the That'll Be the Day Soundtrack, Black Magic (a Stax soul compilation) and With the Beatles. I'd add Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, Rolling Stones, The Animals and Dusty Springfield.

My own tastes came through the older sons of their parents friends - punk, New Wave, alternative and rock bands of the 1980s. I still like all of that eclectic mix. You're just unlikely to get me into Art Blakey now. 

• Like 1

I'll add that history is definitely repeating, my eldest son likes pretty much everything I like, even the lesser known bands like Dispatch & The Werks & The Horrible Crows.

I took him to his first Chili's gig in Manchester last year & that blew him away!

My youngest son likes Queen, Bowie, The Beatles (which I take full credit for 😁) plus a whole lot of crap that I think they call "grime"? 

• Like 1

A stand out moment for me, my dad used to burn a CD compilations before a big trip so I could listen to music on my walkman. On a trip to Switzerland he passed me a new CD, on it was Dirty Drowning Man by Primus from 1999 Antipop album. Also the blues brothers being my dads favourite film gave me a pretty strong foundation pretty young for what built my musical tastes. 

Edited by greentext
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Horizontalste said:

I'm sat in my kitchen right now listening to Brother's In Arms, the great album from Dire Straits & this got me thinking.

I was only a kid when Mark & co were tearing up MTV but this particular album is so ingrained in my subconscious that I can't help smiling & tapping a foot whenever I hear it. 

My love is born out of sheer exposure as a kid. I was fortunate enough in that my parents had a great & varied taste in music & our house always had something great coming from the speakers.

So just for fun, what were you listening to as a kid that has stayed with you into maturity? (I use the term maturity very loosely 😁)

Strangely enough I played Brothers In Arms to my two young sons only yesterday while we were doing a spot of gardening. I hadn't listened to it for over 20 years but woke up with Money For Nothing giving me the earworm treatment so I just rolled with it!

They loved it!

Eldest (13) is learning piano, youngest (10) is learning guitar.

• Like 1

My dad was a big band fan and I particularly remember hearing The Ted Heath Orchestra a lot. He was also big on organs (stop it) and The Fantastic Peddlers were another staple. Tom Jones live at Caesar’s Palace sticks in my memory too. There was other stuff, which wasn't as good and I found a bit cheesy by comparison. In later years, he borrow some of my albums, he was very keen on Eric Clapton.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

No pop or rock music round ours. My mother listened to Indian classical music and Bollywood soundtracks, plus a bit of opera, Greek folk, Argentinian folk, maybe an easy listening LP sometimes. But always with the stereo volume on 10. Super loud!

My dad had a box of cassettes of jazz and blues, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Thelonius Monk, John Lee Hooker, Bukka White, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee etc.

I still like all of that stuff (ok maybe not Albert Ayler so much) and even though I’m not particularly nostalgic I guess it has stayed with me.

• Like 1

No music at home when young, but classical music played at infant school (I still remember the Personnages à longues oreilles (Characters with Long Ears), although I can no longer hear the upward glissando high notes, which changes the whole piece..! There was also 'Listen With Mother' on the radio, with a 'Joyce Grenfell-style' 'Be a tree. Stand up, up with your arms to the sky and sway in the breeze...' Later, my Mum bought 'The Sound of Music' and 'South Pacific', and we had a radiogram/television, but I don't recall her ever actually playing the disks. My Dad would sometimes sing to himself 'Oh Mein Papa' when decorating and stuff, but does that count as Music..?
Once my own revenue stream kicked in, it was Piper At The Gates of Dawn, Embryonic Journey, Anthem of the Sun, Fairport's First, Love and John Peel.

• Like 1

My parents had little interest in listening to music for enjoyment in the house, even though my dad could play the piano competently, and it turns out that mum is very musical and later in life she has been a member of several serious choirs and now in her 90s plays in a oldies Ukulele band that probably gigs more frequently than I do! For a long time the only music playing device we had was an ancient valve-powered radiogram that was guaranteed to damage any records you played on it.

My musical tastes are entirely formed by discovering Radio One in 1971 and deciding for myself what I liked (70s glam rock) and what I didn't (just about everything else).

I don't have kids but if I did I would very much hope that the music they enjoyed would be completely and utterly impenetrable to me, in the same way that my parents couldn't understand in the slightest what I found interesting and enjoyable about the music I chose to listen to.

• Like 1

My parents had very little interest in music.  

The first music I liked as a primary school kid was glam rock; Slade, Sweet, Alice Cooper etc.  This was followed by Status Quo and then punk rock.  I left school as a 16 year old in 1979 and being lucky enough to be from London and having a job, I could go to loads of gigs, which I did; starting with Buzzcocks and Joy Division at the Rainbow in November 1979.

My tastes have broadened considerably now but I still love Glam rock, Quo, Punk and (what later became known as) Post Punk.

Most people I meet that are into music still like the stuff they liked as a teenager.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1