Why become a member? ×

Pseudonyms

Kevin Dean

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1505403555' post='3371678']
I always thought of it as a wise precaution against weirdos.
[/quote]
+1 and it seems to be what the majority do so I was a sheep and did the same. Mine evolved from a stupid conversation about where I live (someone thought Tamworth was by the sea) which ended up with me being known as TamworthBay by a few people which then got shortened to Tbay.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1505404038' post='3371683']

+1 and it seems to be what the majority do so I was a sheep and did the same. Mine evolved from a stupid conversation about where I live (someone thought Tamworth was by the sea) which ended up with me being known as TamworthBay by a few people which then got shortened to Tbay.
[/quote]

Tamworth by the sea?

So there's someone in the world with a worse knowledge of geography than me, incredulous 😊.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505404249' post='3371685']

Tamworth by the sea?

So there's someone in the world with a worse knowledge of geography than me, incredulous 😊.
[/quote]
I know, it's great. They were convinced they had stayed in Tamworth Bay as a kid, we never did work out where it was they really stayed. Teignmouth was the best guess. Of course their dad could have been really tight and just sat them by Kingsbury lake for a week and claimed it was the Atlantic.

I named myself after my cat who is named after a late Roman Republic senator.

It was a spur of the moment thing, I needed something I could remember.

I didn't think I'd end up being such a frequent visitor to this site.

I never use my real name on the internet, it makes it that much harder for the angry mob to track me down.

Edited by Cato

I've known band members using weird showbiz names because they were claiming benefits... like Dave Spangle (I made that one up to protect the guilty).

For myself, I prefer to remain anonymous in the public domain, and my brother cyber-stalks me. If he's reading this... I'm not the same Steve J

Because in my job you move around every few years and recruiters and hiring companies will Google you, check Facebook, etc. so it's best to keep anything you don't want professionally visible either locked down or not visible at all. It's harder to do that with sporting stuff but luckily none of my sporty stuff is newsworthy these days!
I also use a stage name within the band for similar reasons.
I also don't want my colleagues looking up my band and taking the p!ss out of me in the office, so I don't tell them I'm in a band.

Edited by uk_lefty