Why become a member? ×

What do you do when you've found The One?

Skinnyman

Over the years I've amassed a nice collection of basses, all of which have been gigged regularly.

But a few months ago I bought a Sandberg VM5 that, for me, is just perfect. It's exactly the sound I've been looking for. It's now my only gigging bass.

So now, I don't know what to do with the other basses. I've spent a lot of time (and money, but don't tell the wife) getting them and they're all fantastic in their own way - but I know that they just aren't going to get the use they deserve.

So do I thin the herd and take a massive loss selling them? Or hold onto them for the occasional rehearsal?

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Until quite recently I had been a one bass only person. I then built a bass as a project, but then couldn't sell it for a sensible price so started to use it. I now really love having two very distinct sounds to use in my band, and the rest of the band all really notice the difference.

I'd say, depending on how many you have, work out a great second bass that is very different to number one, and then, if there is the range in your collection, and playing situations, chose a third on the same basis. Then sell off the rest.

Depends on your needs/wants. I have The One, my 2015 US Precision which I only use with the band, a bitsa Precision that is my gig backup bass. I then have a MIM Precision that I only use at home, and a 2012 US Jazz that I only use at home. It`s only the bitsa that doesn`t get played, but I wouldn`t be without it. I suppose I don`t really need the two basses I only play at home but they do get used so I`m keeping them.

I'd sell what you don't use, or only use infrequently.

If you're gigging then I think you need 2 of everything, but my approach is to have fewer pieces of better gear. They usually feel nicer to play and make you sound better.

And take up less space!

I found 'The One' a little while back - a mid 80s medium scale MIJ Squier Precision. I have a couple of others that come close that I have 'bonded' with but whenever I play 'The One' (as I did at last night's gig) I am reassured that it is indeed 'The One'. Something about the neck makes playing it a joy, something about the quality of the tone that is exactly what I am looking for that isn't quite there on the others.

I also have lots of others that I use and enjoy for rehearsing and occasional gigs. Plus 'The One' isn't really the most suitable for one of my bands, not quite aggressive enough, so I use others for that band. My view is that I have room for them and can afford not to have to sell them so I keep them.

In answer to your question "what do you do", I've found that I sell the ones I don't need, and every now and again think about the selling the other two that I've kept alongside "the one". Then I convince myself to keep them as it's nice to have a change once in a while, and on it goes.....

My Lull PJ4 is without question the one. If I only had that bass I'd still be a very happy and content man.

My Modulus Flea comes out every now and again for a bit of fun. Bit I find it hard to justify having such an expensive bass just for the occasional giggle. I don't always click with it, but when I do it's magic.

My Warwick Thumb 5 is great for noodling on and gets a lot of use when I jam with my drum machine. But it still isn't close to being the one, but the neck pickup setting is great when I fancy a change from the Lull.

I guess I keep them as they offer an alternative from time to time, which is nice.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457177322' post='2996013']
I'd sell what you don't use, or only use infrequently.

If you're gigging then I think you need 2 of everything
[/quote]
Yea, I think this is the key. I have quite a few four strings I'll never gig with again, but they're worth more to me than the amount of money I could sell them for, so I'll just leave them for now.

If you don't need to sell them, then don't, the VM5 may well be "the one" for the moment and the others may get neglected for a while, but at some point you will pick them up again and wonder why you ever put them down, as you say, you spent time and money on finding the right basses for you, they will still be the right basses in six months time when you fancy playing something different for a while.

I am not sure why we seem to feel the need to identify "the one" bass, why can't we have a bunch of basses all of which fulfill our needs?.....That's what GAS is all about!

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1457176378' post='2996005']
Over the years I've amassed a nice collection of basses, all of which have been gigged regularly.

But a few months ago I bought a Sandberg VM5 that, for me, is just perfect. It's exactly the sound I've been looking for. It's now my only gigging bass.

So now, I don't know what to do with the other basses. I've spent a lot of time (and money, but don't tell the wife) getting them and they're all fantastic in their own way - but I know that they just aren't going to get the use they deserve.

So do I thin the herd and take a massive loss selling them? Or hold onto them for the occasional rehearsal?

Anyone else been in a similar position?
[/quote]

You won't make a loss selling the others, not unless they're set to rise in value. Sell sell sell and concentrate on 'your' sound with 'your' bass. You can always start messing about with amplifiers next... then pedals.. then... straps? After that, sorry, I can't help you!

In this position I'd sell any instruments which aren't getting played. This will become apparent when the rest of your basses compete for the rare occurrences when you fancy a change from "the one" ;)

Also, when it comes to losses when selling basses, I write it off as rent, as if I was just borrowing the bass. Seems easier that way.

Edited by neepheid

I think I'm tending more towards Roger2611's view. Or maybe I'm just looking for validation so I can keep them all.

Oh, and a typo - it's a VM4, not 5. Finger trouble (and subconscious GAS, I think. Ironic, given the subject of this thread....). But I've never had so many (positive) comments about my playing as I've had since I got the Sandberg. Which is weird as I'm not playing any differently - I think I can just be heard better.

I guess there are a couple I can cull. I should probably lose one of the SGC 310s at least.... But then, I put a lot of time into refurbishing both of them and it's really handy having an inexpensive but good bass kicking around.....

I'm a member of the still looking gang.

Thing is tastes and preferences change, so what was the one will likely become another also ran.

I believe I'll always be looking for something that may or may not exist. I could have already owned it but just at the wrong time. Perhaps it had the wrong strings too....

After many many years of chasing basses i come to raaluse two things, they kinda contradict one another but still, its why we do it to ourselves......

1) "the one" it doesnt exist. Truth is, YOU are the one.
2) you never know it was "the one" untill youve foolishly traded it in on something shiny.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1457243536' post='2996622']
Thought this thread was going to be about a love interest :happy:
[/quote]

It is!

I'd agree with those who said to think about which are your two or three "great backup basses" which give you a range of options. Then think about which really want to keep just for sentimental reasons even if you rarely play them. Then think about any which just give you a really particular glow of pleasure simply from having them in your collection (for whatever reason).

Those are probably your keepers (for now). The others are negotiable and can become a bass purchase fighting fund.

Am I allowed two "Ones"? The SB1000 and the Wal will never leave. I have the Cort as a backup fretless, and I'm developing a foolish hankering for a Tbird... No, doesn't make sense to me either!