Why become a member? ×

Who do you regret not seeing in concert, that sadly aren't around any more?

leschirons

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1448378456' post='2914901']
Gillan, Glover, Paice, Blackmore & Lord together as Deep Purple
[/quote]
Sorry but this is my super duper big head egotistical moment. ;)

I played bass in a support band to this line up in January 1970 at Lancaster University. :P

They were loud, very, very loud but what a performance.

I'm also of an age and was in the right places to have seen most of those mentioned above but I missed Duane Allman. :(

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1448379817' post='2914921']
I just missed seeing bands like Sabbath, Led Zep and Deep Purple in the period 1970-73, which I reckon was about the best time for any of those.
[/quote]

I saw all of your three in that period. :) Sabbath and Led Zepp at the Ally Pally and Purple at the Rainbow.

I decided not to see Al Green at a small venue as the tickets were a bit much. People said it was the best gig ever. (Dublin 1999)
I decided not to see Bo Diddly as it was a Tuesday night. He died shortly afterwards :( (London 2008)
I missed The Pixies headline Reading 1990 because my mate wanted to go home early :angry:

Million Dead. They cancelled a small festival in Reading last minute as their van broke down on the way. They toured one more time including Nottingham but I have driving so much I didn't go. They split very soon after.

aaaannd....

Girls Aloud. I love them, great collection of songs. Got asked to go last minute and didn't due to band practice. Again, split shortly after.

I guess the original Lords Of The New Church line up and the original Chameleons line up are about the only bands I would love to have seen, I saw them both under revised line ups but nothing like seeing the original line up....I guess I have seen a few gigs over the years with the current total being 558 "big" name acts seen all over the UK

I suppose because of my advancing years, I was lucky enough to have seen a few of those listed above like SRV, Laura Nyro, The Who, Queen, Free with Paul Kossoff, Rory Gallagher etc although I seem to have been lacking in the major rock acts department like early Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix, Ronson etc. Strange, as that was when I seriously into rock music. Even the early Who Queen gigs were small affairs so maybe I simply didn't like huge venues.

Some interesting names coming up though.

Zappa for me too - 1988 final tour. Closest venue to me was the NEC (I'm in Bolton). Pink Floyd were also touring that year (Delicate Sound Of Thunder tour) and tickets came out at around the same time. I'd just got married so money was tight. The choice was Floyd in Manchester or Zappa in Brum (which would also mean adding the price of a coach ticket). I figured that I probably wouldn't get the chance to see Floyd again but I'll see Zappa the next time around. What a numpty I turned out to be :unsure: The Floyd gig turned out to be one of the best gigs I'd ever been to so not a complete disaster but I still regret no taking the opportunity to see the great man himself.

I count myself lucky to have seen AC/DC with Bon Scott (Def Leppard supporting), Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden (the original line-up supporting Judas Priest), Ted Nugent, Black Sabbath (Ozzy with Van Halen supporting), Queen (with Freddie), Status Quo (classic line-up), Deep Purple (mk2 line-up), Rush, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Fleetwood Mac, Sammy Hagar....oh and of course.....Dumpy's Rusty Nuts :ph34r:

Edited by mr zed

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1448389641' post='2915043']

aaaannd....

Girls Aloud. I love them, great collection of songs. Got asked to go last minute and didn't due to band practice. Again, split shortly after.
[/quote]

Excellent. My guilty pleasure also........ :D

(I hope you are being serious, otherwise I have made myself look a right mug :lol:)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1448382027' post='2914940']

The first time I heard 'Deep Purple in Rock' it had a profound effect on me. Got me totally hooked on rock music and still am. Saw Deep Purple in Knebworth in '85 and they put on a cracking show
[/quote]

Purple were good a knebworth , but the scorpions smashed it ;)

In no particular order...

Before my time (pre 1963):
Eddie Cochran
Gene Vincent
Buddy Holly
Charlie Parker
John Coltrane

Post 1963:
Cream
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
The Who (with Keith Moon on drums)
The Small Faces
Otis Redding
Sam & Dave
Miles Davis
Weather Report
Return to Forever
The Jam
The Police
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
Robben Ford & the Blue Line

Pantera!!!!
Jaco (in any line-up)
Vai (the "band") - just to hear the Sex & Religion album played live, with TM Stevens & Devin Townsend etc
Hendrix
Queen with Freddie. (I did do the 2008 cosmos rocks tour, but it was with a.n.other singing, not the same in my book!).
Led Zep (before my time though - however I was annoyingly in the building on the day of the O2 Ahmet show as I had just loaded out the Take That tour that was in the previous night / week. I knew most of the crew on the Led Zep gig and could've easily stayed in the O2 and seen the gig, but I'd have to have been in Manchester early in the morning after the Led Zep gig to load into the MEN and there wasn't a practical way of getting there. Looking back I should've just taken a cab to Manchester or hired a car - it'd have been worth it in the long run).

I was offered a ticket to see AC/DC with Bon. I was only 15, so turned it down. He died a few months later. I went to the Back in Black tour gig, but always regretted that one. The only other big regret was Thin Lizzy. I just never seemed to be available when they came. Now it's too late. I can't complain right enough. I've seen Guns n Roses with the classic line up. Hanoi Rocks a good few times and loads of other great bands. One of the perks of being an old fart!