Why become a member? ×

Who do you regret not seeing in concert, that sadly aren't around any more?

leschirons

When I first discovered pop/rock music I wasn't really ready for going to see bands, besides I lived in a town where touring bands rarely played and even if I had been any my parents would never have allowed it.

Looking back I think I might have like to have seen Bowie, Slade, The Sweet and T.Rex around 1973… But maybe I'm better off with my records.

When I left home and got into my big record buying and gig going phase in the early 80s and onwards I was lucky enough to have been able to see pretty much every band that I was into. I missed out on Joy Division and New Order but everyone I knew who had seen them said that live they were pretty awful.

From that era I regret having never seen The Human League pre "Dare" and Cabaret Voltaire when Chris Watson was still playing with them. I've seen both bands since then and while they were excellent, those earlier times where when they were playing most of the songs that I really liked.

Since then the only bands that I've really liked but haven't as yet seen are Mew, M83 and Styrofoam.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1448369665' post='2914779']
Nirvana
They got me into music, and i was obsessed when i was younger.
I actually have a unused ticket of the next show they were meant to play, but didn't because he passed on.
That is one of only two bits of music memorabilia i have!
[/quote]

Ah go on... whats the other?

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1448470320' post='2915706']
Les Paul. I was staying across the road from thr Iridium in NYC and it was Monday.
But I was very tired, and didn't bother to walk 20 yards. BIG mistake...
[/quote]

When was this?

I went in October 2008. They don't half pack the punters in - barely enough elbow room to eat your burger. The band were fantastic and Les Paul is a great story teller, but unfortunately arthritis had rendered his guitar playing to a shadow of what it used to be. However he was still a better player than I'll ever be!

Oh and they usher you straight out after the show to make way for the next one...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1448374876' post='2914849']
+1 for the Sex Pistols. I could have seen them in Middlesbrough in '77, but thought, nah...

Todd Rundgren's Utopia supporting Led Zeppelin at Knebworth, a year or so later. I'd recently got in to Todd, but didn't fancy standing in muddy field full of Led Zep fans... little did I know that the next opportunity to see Todd would be several years later, and a full decade for the one after that!
[/quote]I was at the first of those gigs and I can safely say that Utopia were a very poor choice for the last band before Led Zep; poor because they were outstanding and dangerously close to upstaging them, and prior to that night I'd never heard a note of their stuff and I was still impressed.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448375867' post='2914864']
Top of my particular heap would be Alice Cooper - the original 5-piece band of Dunaway, Smith, Buxton, Bruce & Furnier. Split in 1974 so well before my time.

The Skids - the Absolute Game lineup, with Russell Webb on bass.

The Who with Moony & Entwistle.

Pistols, preferably with Matlock.

Dio - era Rainbow.

Nirvana @ Studio 24, Edinburgh. Dunno why I didn't go. :(

I'll probably think of a few more in a bit...

Jon.
[/quote]+1 for Alice Cooper - I don't recall them being over here much in those days?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1448382148' post='2914942']
I was well into Little Feat in the mid 70s, saw them with The Who at Charlton FC but the sound was rubbish for the earlier bands, could harldy hear them and as it was early in the day, people still arriving didnt get to watch anything properly till Alex Harvey came on and the volume went up a bit. Would have loved to have seen them in a small club though.

Would have loved to have seen the original Feelgoods. I'm told that I saw them in Brum around 75, but I have no recollection of it.
[/quote]I saw Robin Trower at the Birmingham Odeon around then and Dr Feelgood were the support?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1448383131' post='2914952']
Big country. Wish I had went to a gig before Stuart a damson had died. Unfortunately wasn't in a position to do so really as they were just a little before my adult years.

Got chance to see them with that guy from the alarm a few year ago, no one would go with me. They still do tour in a fashion. But there lineup isn't great mainly the singers have been crap.
Ah least the guy from the alarm gave it some.
[/quote]Saw them Sep. '83 in Southampton and I still think it's one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Saw them the next year at Wembley Arena and they'd lost none of their energy. Stuart's death brought me great sadness, he was one of rock's nice guys.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1448484602' post='2915878']
Saw them Sep. '83 in Southampton and I still think it's one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Saw them the next year at Wembley Arena and they'd lost none of their energy. Stuart's death brought me great sadness, he was one of rock's nice guys.
[/quote]

He really was, I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly shortly after I moved to Edinburgh - a very genuine and humble man, much missed. Saw BC many times between 1982 and 1996, such an inspiring, uplifting and passionate band.

J.