Why become a member? ×

Who do you regret not seeing in concert, that sadly aren't around any more?

leschirons

I forgot Big Country! I never seen them and wish I had. I heard they were touring with the guitarist doing the singing ( can't remember his name) can't imagine it being as good, but would still like to see them !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448498601' post='2916006']
I forgot Big Country! I never seen them and wish I had. I heard they were touring with the guitarist doing the singing ( can't remember his name) can't imagine it being as good, but would still like to see them !
[/quote]
Stuart Adamson was the guitarist! And the singer and songwriter. The lineup that's been touring recently is fronted by Mike Peters from The Alarm. Good vocalist but very different to Stuart, I've not seen them so can't comment about whether it works or not.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448503021' post='2916018']

Stuart Adamson was the guitarist! And the singer and songwriter. The lineup that's been touring recently is fronted by Mike Peters from The Alarm. Good vocalist but very different to Stuart, I've not seen them so can't comment about whether it works or not.

J.
[/quote]

The OTHER guitarist !

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1448473913' post='2915759']

When was this?

I went in October 2008. They don't half pack the punters in - barely enough elbow room to eat your burger. The band were fantastic and Les Paul is a great story teller, but unfortunately arthritis had rendered his guitar playing to a shadow of what it used to be. However he was still a better player than I'll ever be!

Oh and they usher you straight out after the show to make way for the next one...
[/quote]
Late 2004, and I never got the opportunity to go back...

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1448382148' post='2914942']
.....I'm told that I saw them in Brum around 75, but I have no recollection of it.
[/quote]

Now there's an idea for another topic. What's the best band you saw but cannot remember? I think I saw Hawkwind and Joe Walsh (not together), but don't remember much. And no unusual substances involved, just don't remember. No reflection on either, I'm sure they were excellent.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1448503021' post='2916018']

J.
[/quote]I saw them about 18 months ago. They are still very good.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1448526351' post='2916067']
Now there's an idea for another topic. What's the best band you saw but cannot remember? I think I saw Hawkwind and Joe Walsh (not together), but don't remember much. And no unusual substances involved, just don't remember. No reflection on either, I'm sure they were excellent.
[/quote]

I don't think you're alone, I'd guess that most of Hawkwind aren't even sure if they were ever actually in Hawkwind :lol:

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448520443' post='2916037']
I was reminded today about a band that I wish I'd seen called Fanny, purely because I would have loved a tour t shirt!
[/quote]

I saw Fanny at Brunel Uni. They had a couple of good covers like Ain't That Peculiar, but apart from that they really weren't worth the bus fare.

Sadly, I gave up a Zoot Money gig to see them.

Zappa,
Miles Davis,
Gentle Giant.

Gentle Giant is especially sore, as I had tickets three times but stupid stuff ruined it for me - like my father punishing me for something trivial, or my moped giving in so I arrived at the venue after GG had already packed and left.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1448531896' post='2916135']

I saw Fanny at Brunel Uni. They had a couple of good covers like Ain't That Peculiar, but apart from that they really weren't worth the bus fare.

Sadly, I gave up a Zoot Money gig to see them.
[/quote]

But can you imagine having a shirt with a great big "Fanny" emblazoned on the chest?

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1448520349' post='2916036']
The OTHER guitarist !
[/quote]

:P I know - but you sure little Bruce Watson was singing? Don't think he ever even did BVs, to be honest I always got the impression he was only in the band because Stuart felt a bit sorry for him... :lol:

J.

Zawinul :(
And Zappa of course.

Has anyone heard of AREA ? Italian band, fantastic singer Demetrio Stratos. Died in his twenties, circa 1980. Listened to them alot in my teens, along with Magma, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow; the Recommended Records circle.

Edited by basscell

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1448550703' post='2916387']
I think there was a brief period after Adamson's death but before Peters joined where Tony Butler did lead vox, presumably they gigged as a 3 piece for that time, did a live album 'Twenty Five Live'.
[/quote]I also heard Tony did lead vocals for a bit. He's retired these days and teaches music in the West Country.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1448550703' post='2916387']
I think there was a brief period after Adamson's death but before Peters joined where Tony Butler did lead vox, presumably they gigged as a 3 piece for that time, did a live album 'Twenty Five Live'.
[/quote]

That must have been what I heard. I didn't research it, I'd just heard through here say.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1448526351' post='2916067']
[/quote]

If I can't remember them, I'd hardly call them the best band you saw.

i've seen Genesis with Gabriel, and EWF and Parliament. I think I fell asleep during EWF.
Can't recall a thing about Zappa either...??????????

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1448559723' post='2916482']
I also heard Tony did lead vocals for a bit. He's retired these days and teaches music in the West Country.
[/quote]

He teaches in North Devon. I went to a showcase of his students work he put on a few Christmases ago. It was at the pub all the students frequent when they're supposed to be in class...we went there when we were students 20 years before :D

I'm pleased to say I have seen a fair few of the bands previously mentioned (mostly at the now-flattened Cornwall Coliseum, which being on my doorstep was a regular haunt of me and my mates). To my shame, I preferred to go to karate practice rather than see the Clash (with Theatre of Hate supporting). I also missed seeing the Three Johns in a tiny club (Ziggy's) in Plymouth. I was booked to see REM on the tour they cancelled because of Bill Berry's brain haemorrhage, although I did get to see them after he left. Led Zep, I guess, and I'd have liked to see Frank Zappa too.

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1448557452' post='2916458']
Has anyone heard of AREA ? Italian band, fantastic singer Demetrio Stratos. Died in his twenties, circa 1980. Listened to them alot in my teens, along with Magma, Art Zoyd, Henry Cow; the Recommended Records circle.
[/quote]

Yup! Great band, and I still listen to them - especially to "Crac!".
Never seen them live though.

Magma, Art Zoyd and Henry Cow are some of my all time faves. Had originally thought to list Henry Cow as a regret, but wasn't sure whether they exist again.

Took my daughter to a fantastic Magma gig a few year back, and she was glowing afterwards.
Happy dad day.