Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

In the airport waiting to fly back after attending Keep It True in Wurzburg. Flotsam & Jetsam were the band of the night on Friday. Last night, Watchtower showed that time still hasn't caught up with them yet, their music still belongs to the future. Mind blowing stuff from ridiculously skilled musicians who really give it all and look like they're having a blast too. Doff of the cap to Doug Keyser and his SS2. Delighted to have finally see the dude play after 34 years of waiting.

• Like 1

Grayson Perry, Salford, last night. On the front row, great seats, very comfy, non of this standing up for two hours malarky, very enjoyable night.

And for those who are thinking..... "That's not music related" .....WRONG!  He sang two numbers 😉

• Like 3

PJ Harvey in Dublin a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan, but don't mind some of her stuff; she was fantastic. She played her new album at the start. I don't think I could sit and listen to it at home, but performed live it was excellent. The band were tight as.

On 07/10/2023 at 14:01, chaypup said:

Yussef Dayes in Cardiff with Rocco Palladino on bass. Sound was a bit meh bass wise, while the drum sound was perfect as you'd expect for this act. Nevertheless a great gig, Rocco was amazing and a pretty big crowd - about 700 - for what is still essentially a niche jazz act. 

I was surprised to see the Albert Hall gig is pretty much sold out.

Good on ‘em… 

• Like 1

Saw Larkin Poe in Bristol last night. First gig on the British leg of their never ending world tour.

An utterly exceptional band this.

Only gig I've ever been to and not focused wholly upon the bass player. 

The guitar playing, the guitar sounds, and the vocal harmonies were absolutely top drawer, and the lead singer has quite simply the best voice I've ever been in a room with. 

A spell binding gig.

• Like 1

Rival Sons last night at the big Academy in Manchester. Sold out, absolutely rammed, the band were great, but overall the experience was brought down by one of the most yattery audiences I've ever stood in (I moved several times, and at one point had to tell one booming bloke who just wouldn't stop telling his two mates about how his brother-in-law has got a new car (yeah, you couldn't unhear the conversation) to shut the hell up), and secondly by yet again a stooopidly loud kick; the drummer has a 26" kick, and the soundman must have really liked it, because it was the main instrument all night; it turned into kick drum vs band, and the kick won. The band have some intense slower songs which were ruined by the mix...

A tribute called Re Genesis at the Earl Haig.

Very good, although it took a couple of songs for them to really get going but after that it was excellent.

Great use of lights (they had their own light and sound engineers and used a laptop for the lights, house lighting engineer enjoyed time off and was impressed too).

Only minor grump... too much bass pedal and keyboard bass and not enough real bass for me! Their bass player had a couple of double necks, Ricky 6 + bass and a 'rick alike' 12 and baritone (as far as I could judge).

A couple of pics.

20231019_224341.jpg

20231019_223611.jpg

20231019_223228.jpg

20231019_223022.jpg

20231019_212511.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

too much bass pedal and keyboard bass

Often the problem with keyboard generated bass (and, by association, bass pedals) is that it lacks the percussive punch of a bass guitar and is held onto too long, creating a standing wave. The keyboard player in my band has this issue with some of his B3 sounds, the left hand stays in place and it builds into a mush. I find judicious bass cut on his FOH channel sorts the issue (something he's happy for me to do).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jah Wobble at MK11 venue. Best form I have seen him in and glad it was not too loud as I lost my proper ear plugs and had to wear foam ones.  Shock horror..... He did not use a stage amp. Not one I could see anyhow. The sound was fantastic. Came on at half eight and played till eleven. 

IMG_20231111_203709.jpg

• Like 3

Rival Sons (one of my favorite bands) in Amsterdam last Thursday. I've seen them about 8 times now, and they just keep impressing me. They haven't lost any of their authenticity through the years, and helped by the relatively small venues they play they always feel close to and with the crowd. I enjoyed 🙂

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1