Why become a member? ×

The Who at Glastonbury

Cosmo Valdemar

Always loved The Who but I feel they are maybe coming to the end of their natural life as a band. Very impressed by Pino's playing, but Daltrey and Townshend were lacking a bit IMO. I think if it wasn't for Simon Townshend's vocals to supplement the two main guys, it would have sounded terrible. Daltrey missed a couple of lines too and the whole band didn't seem sure of the arrangement of WGFA.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1435587354' post='2810295']
Always loved The Who but I feel they are maybe coming to the end of their natural life as a band. Very impressed by Pino's playing, but Daltrey and Townshend were lacking a bit IMO. I think if it wasn't for Simon Townshend's vocals to supplement the two main guys, it would have sounded terrible. Daltrey missed a couple of lines too and the whole band didn't seem sure of the arrangement of WGFA.
[/quote]As Townshend is 69, and Daltrey is 71, they must be coming close to the end. While they are still rocking, i am going to be rocking with them. I thoroughly enjoyed the set

The Who may not be the band they were back in the 60's / early 70's. But they're a better proposition [i]now[/i] than when they were during during the Kenney Jones era.

[size=3][b]1982[/b]: Worst Who Ever[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Did anyone watch the Fall set, by the way? I will say that Townsend and Daltrey's 50 years or so of career have been kind to them compared with Mark E Smith's 30-something years! The sight of him banging two SM58s together to the beat while the damp patch on the front of his trousers slowly dried is probably one for the dedicated Fall fans only.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1435588928' post='2810318']
The Who may not be the band they were back in the 60's / early 70's. But they're a better proposition [i]now[/i] than when they were during during the Kenney Jones era.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that's true. Kenney Jones is equally wrong as Pino for the respective jobs in the Who. The worst possible line-up would have both of them, not just one of them. I should say I like both of them as musicians in their own right. Having seen them in 2000, if you closed your eyes it could quite easily have been Keith Moon rather than Zak Starkey playing drums as he would have been about 35 then. I wonder how off Entwistle would have been now had he lived with the bonkers deafness and whatnot. The Who may very well have become awful for the purists anyway.

They are as they are. I hope people enjoy it. I just find it a pointless comparison with pino as he just doesn't play like John either stylistically or tonally. Townshend wanted to change the band and has done so. Some people like it and some don't. Such is life.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1435588928' post='2810318']

[/quote]Aint that the truth(?)!

I could watch it...as far as I can ever watch the Who, and I thought Pino P and Zak Starkey did well on the gig.

Worth their slot, ...didn't rate Weller too much but the King was Lionel.

But back to the Who...the thing I find most disturbing is Townsend not the music so much.
If you have been around as long as they have, you expect the miles to show a little and they do well to keep them down.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1435532177' post='2809854']
Slightly annoyed that the beeb didn't show the whole set (I'm assuming that they'll have played for more than slightly over an hour).

Although I suppose that it is possible that the Who, for whatever reason, didn't want the whole thing broadcast. I seem to recall that's what Mick & Keef stipulated when the Rolling Stones headlined.
[/quote]

I'm listening now and will try and fill the gaps....
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-who/2015/worthy-farm-pilton-england-23c9546f.html has the full set list.

Muse did the same when they played Reading/Leeds and played the entire of Origin of Symettry, then BBC didn't play half the rare songs. Much to the despair of us Muse fans!

Luckily, Muse are very keen / dont seem to mind (to the extent the muse.mu forum has a bootleg forum) bootleg dvd's etc from fan recordings, so it is all available through various phone shots etc, and in pretty good quality.

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1435571110' post='2810024']
First 2015 Glasto set I enjoyed tbh. I thought Pino was good and if he was more prominent in the mix with a bit/lot more grit would have been great. I'm not a fan of his stage presence /nodding chicken head movements, but there again apart from his fingers the Ox didn't really move more than necessary iirc. Daltrey at 71 gives me hope for life post middle age! The drummer was great, but let's face it - no one will ever replace the manic loony energy of Kieth Moon in full flow.
[/quote]
Zak Starkey is the drummer.... son of Ringo Starr and godson of Keith Moon.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1435536735' post='2809886']
I've never been a Who fan but I watched tonight and thought they were great.

Obviously they're not going to sound like they did 50 years ago and slagging them off because they're not 20 any more is petty. They are one of the originals and the world will be a sadder and less enjoyable place when these guys and the others of their time stop gigging.
[/quote]
This. Except I'm a fan anyway!

Edited by Telebass

Watched it and loved it..thought they were great and absolutely not a bunch of old guys, the energy was genuine..
Wasn't a fan of Palladino joining this band but he seems to be more comfortable in this bass chair and combines his own style with that of Entwistle.
Zak Starkey is great on drums too (how proud must his dad be)
I didn't think I would have watched the entire broadcast but I did (I'm not a dedicated Who-fan) because they were great.
That intro of Baba O'Riley, the bass in "You better, you bet", etc...Daltrey was in good shape too, I've heard him sing worse.
They are still a very energetic live-band with a great repertoire, glad I watched this after a load of crap I had to endure the past days.
No complaints about the TV-broadcast either : the camera was there in time for the bass solo's in My Generation and knew there were 4, a rare thing in tv land these days

Edited by wombatboter

Whoever followed Keith Moon was in for a pasting. Same for JE's replacement.

Whatever anyone else thinks The Who works as a unit now. It would have sounded terrible and been musically stupid to have tried to find another Keith or John.

Edited by chris_b

Just got first opportunity to sit down and watch it with the soundbar/sub cranked up, thought it sounded good! I've seen The Who live with Pino before and, as much as I admire his playing, never thought he was the right fit, however I thought Pino sounded great this time. Lovely tone and some great lines.

Pino stepped into the breech at extremely short notice when Entwhistle died. The band hardly broke stride which is great credit to Pino. Perhaps some of the people bemoaning his position in the Who would like to suggest an alternative who was available at the time and would still be available now. Can't level any criticism at him for not being John Entwhistle.

I watched it and I thought they were great. I thought Pino represented a much more vintage Who sound. I could imagine why Daltrey and Townsend are happier with the bass presence being wound back a couple of notches. Zak Starkey while pretty bloody good just lacks the lyricism that Moon had, but I doubt that could be found in any other drummer.