Why become a member? ×

The Who at Glastonbury

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1435683337' post='2811440']
As I never liked the sound of Entwistle, I prefer Palladino. To me The Who sound like a better band with Palladino. I've seen Townsend interviewed somewhere and saying he didn't like Entwistle's tone.
[/quote]

Townsend did an interview where he said he was surprised at how much freedom he had without John playing and that it was good to have A bass player just holding down the bottom end.

Daltrey also described the Kenny Jones as a 'Four to the Floor' solid rock band player which wasn't really what the Who were about and Zack had more groove.

So the 'new' Who are what Roger and Pete want. It may not be what the old fans want. That's progress.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1436182352' post='2815621']
Townsend did an interview where he said he was surprised at how much freedom he had without John playing and that it was good to have A bass player just holding down the bottom end.

Daltrey also described the Kenny Jones as a 'Four to the Floor' solid rock band player which wasn't really what the Who were about and Zack had more groove.

So the 'new' Who are what Roger and Pete want. It may not be what the old fans want. That's progress.
[/quote]

I am one of those old fans, and I prefer Pino.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1436195759' post='2815832']

I am one of those old fans, and I prefer Pino.
[/quote]

Indeed. I did say 'may'. There's an interview on YouTube with Entwistle where he describes himself as a Bass Guitarist as opposed to a Bass Player. He was a French horn player. Musically he obviously saw his role completely different to that of a traditional bass player.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1436200203' post='2815903']
Indeed. I did say 'may'. There's an interview on YouTube with Entwistle where he describes himself as a Bass Guitarist as opposed to a Bass Player. He was a French horn player. Musically he obviously saw his role completely different to that of a traditional bass player.

[/quote]
I've never understood that bass guitarist versus bass player distinction - if I am playing a bass guitar then it seems to me that I am a bass guitarist, 'guitar' being the type of instrument and 'bass' being a reference to it's musical range - but Basschat has done the argument over that many times.

What doesn't enthuse me about Entwistle is not so much his notes but more his tone. YMMV, (or YMDV).

From what I've read, he didn't like his tone either. Spent thousands of pounds and years of searching and never got it right.

I think what he meant by bass guitarist was playing the bass primarily as a guitar with melodic style rather than bass or harmonies as most of us do. I've had discussions with guitarists over what part they're trying to play when we've covered who songs. At least two of them have wanted to double the bass part leaving no rhythm part.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1436182352' post='2815621']
[/quote]

And now that he's got that, he's found that the band needs a second guitarist the make the songs sound right again.

I watched what was on the iPlayer and for the most part was pretty impressed. However, looking at the set list, for a band whose main creative member is still alive there is a noticeable lack of new material. Nothing from the most recent album (which itself is almost 10 years old now) and only one track from the album before that (from 1982!). And while I appreciate that most of the audience will want the old familiar material, I does make me wonder why they still bother.

And singing "My Generation" when you are in your 70s has gone beyond irony...

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1436205693' post='2815984']
From what I've read, he didn't like his tone either. Spent thousands of pounds and years of searching and never got it right.
[/quote]
Someone should've told him, "IT'S ALL IN THE FINGERS!" :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1435588928' post='2810318']
The Who may not be the band they were back in the 60's / early 70's. But they're a better proposition [i]now[/i] than when they were during during the Kenney Jones era.

[size=3][b]1982[/b]: Worst Who Ever[/size]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]
[/quote]

The Who with Pino Palladino is not The Who.
They are allowed to call it The Who, of course, but they won't ever get my ticket money again.
That's my problem not theirs, but the 1982 Who which I saw a couple of times had John there.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1436206204' post='2815995']
And now that he's got that, he's found that the band needs a second guitarist the make the songs sound right again.[/quote]

I suspected this too. To be honest, Simon Townshend was the glue that held the band together, both vocally and with his playing. Much stronger than his brother.

Anyone else read this?

[b] The Who say they were sabotaged at Glastonbury[/b]

[color=#767676]Pete Townshend says show – which was as a last-minute replacement for Prince – was one of their very worst[/color]

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/10/the-who-say-they-were-sabotaged-at-glastonbury"]http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/10/the-who-say-they-were-sabotaged-at-glastonbury[/url]

I'm a bit dubious about the sabotage claim. I don't think one crew would deliberately go in and damage another crew's set up and who else would have the opportunity? I doubt Glasto is somewhere that any old tom dick or harry can wander backstage at these days. I'm not a big Who fan but considering the ages of the main band focus and there is frequently less than great onstage sound at these things it sounds OK to me. There are at least 2 extra keys players (maybe one of them was also doing extra guitar too?) so it's at least a 6 man band on there live so should be getting a full sound instrument wise. Admittedly it's at first glance but to me Townsend looks least convincing of all of them at times. Maybe he didn't have as much control over things as usual and it's put him off his stroke a bit on the night?

Watched it on I-player and I agree with the comments made about the lack of footage on Pino.

OK - I accept that, great as he is, Pino is never going to get the same attention on camera as Daltrey or Townshend, but even the drummer and the other guitarist were on camera more often than Pino!?

Also - (perhaps I missed it); but when Pete Townshend introduced the band, was Pino mentioned?

Edited by Krysbass

When I saw the Stones at the O2 Darryl Jones only got about 2 shots all night on the big screen behind the stage.

Even the unnamed keyboard player got more screen time than Jones.

But then these guys, even Darryl and Pino, are not the stars, they are just hired help. They'll get as much coverage as the backing singers and horn section.

I think that even if there'd been a miraculous appearance of The Ox on stage at Glasto, the camera would, sadly, have given him minimal attention.

I think there's a dumbed-down tendency for the camera to focus on the members of a band who move around the most - and as we know; The Ox and indeed Pino are from that school of bassists who let their fingers do the talking, rather than jumping all over the stage!

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1436689464' post='2819910']

I think there's a dumbed-down tendency for the camera to focus on the members of a band who move around the most - and as we know; The Ox and indeed Pino are from that school of bassists who let their fingers do the talking, rather than jumping all over the stage!
[/quote]

Yeah, there's certainly no lack of coverage of Flea when the RHCP play live

• 5 months later...