Why become a member? ×

The greatest Heavy Rock LP ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386927096' post='2306415']
I don't think people are getting this at all. You can't have 86 greatest heavy rock albums each. You can only have one. My thread, my rules :yarr: Sort yourselves out now!
[/quote]
In that case. UFO - Strangers In The Night.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386857600' post='2305438']
Rainbow Rising.

Just spotified it and had forgotten how good it is. Marvellous stuff!
[/quote]

Here here..
my mum plays this EVERY sunday morning, ( im not joking!) she is now 70 and has done since it came out !
i got her the CD years ago but No... it has the be the old LP scratches and all.
for me tho its equal with back in black.

Can't decide on my favourite, but I'll nominate Trapeze - 'You are the Music... We're just the Band'. Featuring, of course, the wonderful vocal and bass talents of Glenn Hughes.
IMO Deserved of far more recognition than it receives/received (as the lack of mention in this thread would testify).

Edited by SteveK

I know they don't normally get lumped in with the Heavy Rock crowd...and I know I'm not really helping us narrow it down here, but does [b]The Who, Live at Leeds [/b]count?

If not, I think it's a toss-up between one of the Deep Purple MkII albums, or one of the first three Sabbath albums.
(I also tip my hat to the Hawkwind fans who've piped up. Anything up to and including [i]Warriors at the Edge of Time[/i] is a fine choice in my book!)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386927096' post='2306415']
I don't think people are getting this at all. You can't have 86 greatest heavy rock albums each. You can only have one. My thread, my rules :yarr: Sort yourselves out now!
[/quote]

I've been biting me tongue cos there have been so many good calls I wanted to add to me list, but I still stand my original choice, for HEAVY rock you cant beat Sabb's Vol 4!

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1386935633' post='2306555']

Here here..
my mum plays this EVERY sunday morning, ( im not joking!) she is now 70 and has done since it came out !
i got her the CD years ago but No... it has the be the old LP scratches and all.
for me tho its equal with back in black.
[/quote]

Your Mum sounds like a very cool lady :-)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1386927244' post='2306416']
In that case Van Halen I
[/quote]
Let's just have a Van Halen appreciation thread (Diamond Dave era only of course). My all time fave VH tune is (not off 1 or 2, tho they are the best albums...maybe 1984 too)

[media]http://youtu.be/tMnF8scIKz0[/media]

Edited by Lord Sausage

my brother used to have the cover of ritchie blackmores rainbow painted on his wall sadly i dont know if any pictures of his version exist [attachment=150420:Rainbow.jpg]
a few of my faves
whitesnake-trouble
deep purple-burn
thin lizzy-jailbreak
Badlands-voodoo highway
ac/dc-powerage i always loved the bass on gimme a bullet
hawkwind-levitation

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1386959908' post='2306921']
One album? OK -

Nevermind by Nirvana

Don't tell me it's not HM. There's enough Sabbath influences in there. :yarr:

And how come no-one's mentioned The Color and the Shape by the Foos. Again, HM, 90s stylee.

<sits back and waits for the flames :ph34r: >
[/quote]

Nowt wrong with Nevermind. It definitely has a heavy quality.
You can nominate what you want. And you haven't broken Bilbo's 'one album only' rule. Fair play :D

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1386939323' post='2306603']

(I also tip my hat to the Hawkwind fans who've piped up. Anything up to and including [i]Warriors at the Edge of Time[/i] is a fine choice in my book!)
[/quote]

I'm for [i]Hall Of The Mountain Grill[/i]. But I never thought Hawkwind were heavy rock, really. Still don't.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386857600' post='2305438']
Rainbow Rising.

Just spotified it and had forgotten how good it is. Marvellous stuff!
[/quote]

Rainbow Rising is one of the few albums from this genre/time that I still regularly listen to - absolutely superb album.

With regard to the rest of the thread - I'm generally a big fan of live albums & find a lot of them (Judas Priests "Unleashed in the East" & Kiss "Alive 2" being two examples) far superior to any studio albums released by the artists.

The one album I've never been able to get into though, despite loving their studio albums, is Deep Purples "Made in Japan".

Edited by RhysP

As much as I love Machinehead, I think it has its ups and downs. If we're talking rock albums which are consistently solid gold from start to finish, for me there are two main contenders, but I don't really see Appetite for Destruction as 'heavy rock', so the winner has to be Zeppelin II

Edited by Roland Rock