Why become a member? ×

The greatest Heavy Rock LP ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386870805' post='2305777']
Trouble is, some people are gonna say'its not heavy rock.. It's too metal' etc. some bands like priest, started out heavy rock, but are metal only now ;)
Still, it is impossible to say only one album , so I will list a few; ac/dc powerage. .. Their best imho
Sabbath vol4
Rush- 21 12
Priest-sad wigs of destiny
Ted Nugent-double live gonzo
Queensryche-rage for order
Led zep 4? Excluding stairway to hendon
Hawkwind - do re mi
Groundhogs -split
Atomic rooster- death walks behind you/ in hearing of
Purple- made in japan/ in rock
Stray - suicide
The doors ??
UFO - obsession

Some albums (sabotage/ Montrose /rainbow )had a few poor tracks on side 2 which prevented them for being great. Side 1 would be awesome, and an ep would have been best ever. Imho of course;) btw forgot the rods first album.. Awesome
[/quote]
[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1386870944' post='2305780']
Uriah Heep Live '73.

Absolute monster!!

The 68 minute slice on yuotube leaves off the rock 'n roll medley. As an alternative check out the "Live in San Diego" video.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Cracking calls chaps, great to see I'm not the only surviving Heep, Rooster and Stray (Sister Mary!!!) fan.
Is one allowed to say Pink Fairies, What A Bunch Of Sweeties nowadays :ph34r:

Made In Japan!!! Definitely!
Even if I don't call it heavy rock; just plain old school 70's rock with a lot of blues flavour. A double album full of playing and musicianship. A gigantic jam session! There is only one double album to match Made In Japan, but in another genre: 8:30!!! Same, same but different!

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1386868830' post='2305738']
Oh and the Van Halen debut album.
[/quote]
Maybe for it's impact but i think VH2 is better. ( Apart from The one and On fire is on 1) ok VH1 and 2. Actually ihad it on cassette one on each side. Original. So that counts as one album......it bloody counts alright.

this is off 2
[media]http://youtu.be/4uiqgwUs1l4[/media]

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386880530' post='2305981']
Actually, it's this.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbyMlPW0GuUUHoueG4K-YkI8zkpUdFPmc
[/quote]How could I have been so stupid as to forget Physical Graffitti? Case closed for me.

You know, I don't think there is one. There's loads of great heavy rock songs, but I'm hard pushed to think of a heavy rock album where every track is fantastic. When I joined the covers band I used to play with I went out and bought the albums (that I didn't already own) from which all the songs that were in the set came.

For every fantastic song (that had probably been released as a single) on each album were at least 2 unimaginative and IMO largely pointless blues workouts. I think in the end the album that (for me) had the least amount of filler on it was "Appetite For Destruction" a record that I had zero interest in at its original release time.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1386869342' post='2305750']

Deep Purple's Made In Japan, Hawkwind's Space Ritual, Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath also rule. And there was a band called Led Zeppelin who had a rather catchy fourth album. B)

Crap, forgot AC/DC: Highway To Hell, or If You Want Blood. Bon Scott all the way.
[/quote]

Fixed. Oh, l love Made In Europe too; arguably my favourite rock bass sound, even if it is actually a Precision. ;-) And of course Live and Dangerous. And British Steel. And Sign of the Hammer (yes, I know). And Bomber / Overkill. And Heaven & Hell.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386881544' post='2306007']
You know, I don't think there is one. There's loads of great heavy rock songs, but I'm hard pushed to think of a heavy rock album where every track is fantastic. When I joined the covers band I used to play with I went out and bought the albums (that I didn't already own) from which all the songs that were in the set came.

For every fantastic song (that had probably been released as a single) on each album were at least 2 unimaginative and IMO largely pointless blues workouts. I think in the end the album that (for me) had the least amount of filler on it was "Appetite For Destruction" a record that I had zero interest in at its original release time.
[/quote] I was thinkin of Appetite. I freakin love that album. I first heard it when i was about 9 and it just blew my tiny mind. it was the album that got me into Rock n Roll. I didn't put it as sometimes i think i blinded by love. it still sounds the same as the first time pretty much. It's just i don't have much love for Sweet child as i played it to death in cover bands.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386863753' post='2305623']
Maiden are NWOBHM - I know because I was there.....

[url="http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/No_Quarter/10007"]http://www.metal-arc...o_Quarter/10007[/url]
[/quote]

Me Too.

Burn Deep Purple

Live and Dangerous Lizzy

Slade Alive

Scorpions - Taken By Force was seminal in my musical development (I use that word carefully lol). Followed closely by anything Led Zep related, albeit less heavy. I saw Motorhead so many times at Hammersmith in the 80's, I lost count - probably because I wasn't 'all there' so to speak. And then there was Hot Chocolate, of course - although I'm more likely to drink it these days.