Why become a member? ×

The greatest Heavy Rock LP ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386880759' post='2305991']

Word! You show me a better and heavier album and i'll show you........this album again!
[/quote]I now remember a recent BBC program where Danny Baker reckoned that PG was the perfect rock album. I also remember the very first time I heard a track from it when it was released; Trampled Underfoot on The Old Grey Whistle Test.

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1386887605' post='2306167']
Slightly surprised at some of the "hard rock" suggestions.
Are we thinking hard rock = soft metal??
[/quote]

Well it's difficult to define....
For me heavy rock is music that thumps through your chest without making your ears bleed.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1386883648' post='2306067']
Definitely Deep Purple's Machine Head for me, from the opening to Highway Star to that amazing riff in the chorus of Space Truckin it's a phenominal album. One of my favourites.
[/quote]
listening to again right now after several yours. Indeed!!

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1386889150' post='2306210']
listening to again right now after several yours. Indeed!!
[/quote]

I'd only heard Highway Star and Smoke on the Water off it till about a year ago, then I found it in my Mum's vinyl collection and stuck it on - loved it from the word go. Not a bad track on there, they all compliment each other, and for me it's the perfect length - manages to retain energy throughout without outstaying its welcome.

Edited by the_skezz

Every album Rory Gallagher recorded.
Be Bop Deluxe everything up until but not including Drastic Plastic.
Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Stained Class and Killing Machine.
AC/DC's Powerage, such a brilliant album, not a bad track on it!
UFO's Force It, probably my favourite of their Schenker era studio albums.
Rush, Everything up to and including Signals. Genius
Zepp's The Song Remains The Same brilliant! Highlights for me are The Title track, Rain Song and the fantastic No Quarter.
Gillan's Mr. Universe and Glory Road albums deserve a shout too! Driving, head down no nonsense stuff!
Thin Lizzy's albums with Robbo, Nightlife, Fighting, Jailbreak etc brilliant
All the mentions of Live and Dangerous, yeah it's great to listen too, but the fact that only the drums
are the only things that are actually live is disappointing to say the least.

One thing that this thread does, is it makes you realise just how heavy rock went down the pan in the mid '80's!

Sorry, too many contenders even if it was limited to pre-'76 or whenever Rainbow Rising came out. Actually nearly all the top classic heavy rock genre defining albums came out between about '70 and '76, it was a golden half decade or so to be sure. I wish I had been born about 10 years earlier than I was, I only really got into it very late 70's but then there was a bit of a revivial in the post punk early 80's so it wasn't all bad.

Edited by KevB

SO difficult to choose - I think most of my contenders have been mentioned, with perhaps 'Made In Japan' at joint first place with 'Live and Dangerous' (I saw them during that tour at Wembley!). On my shortlist, but not making it onto the rostrum, I would place 2 live albums - Humble Pie, Rockin the Filmore. Not my favourite band but that album captured the sound and the moment. And Wishbone Ash, Live Dates.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1386882021' post='2306021']
Fixed. Oh, l love Made In Europe too; arguably my favourite rock bass sound, even if it is actually a Precision. ;-) And of course Live and Dangerous. And British Steel. And Sign of the Hammer (yes, I know). And Bomber / Overkill. And Heaven & Hell.
[/quote]

Fixed? Sabbath Bloody Sabbath only had the title track, dude. And I should know because my taste is impeccable. :P

Definitely Overkill and Heaven & Hell, though.