Why become a member? ×

The greatest Heavy Rock LP ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1387011179' post='2307345']

Space Ritual was very heavy, and their highpoint for me. Their other albums... probably not.
[/quote]"In case of sonic attack......." Literature meets rock and frightens the bejabbers out of the audience; Space Ritual - good album.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1386954497' post='2306815']
On the Van Halen tip - got to be 'Women And Children First' for me, their best IMHO.

'Fair Warning' a close second. First two albums are stone-cold classics as well, but I think 'W&CF' just clinches it for me.
[/quote]

+1.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1386928481' post='2306439']

Fixed? Sabbath Bloody Sabbath only had the title track, dude. And I should know because my taste is impeccable. :P

Definitely Overkill and Heaven & Hell, though.
[/quote]

SBS is easily my favourite Ozzy-era Sabs album. In fact I'm a little surprised to see so many suggestions of Volume 4, which I always found a bit 'meh' (despite having a copy signed by Ozzy!).

If I had to vote for one 'heavy rock' album it would probably be SBS. Or British Steel. Or possibly live and Dangerous. Oh I don't know!

Space Ritual and Warrior are personal favourites but I wouldn't really class either as heavy rock.

Yes, the genre thing gets a bit blurred, especially in the early days.

When I listened to [i]Sad Wings Of Destiny [/i]and [i]Sin After Sin[/i], I wasn't thinking "[color=#b22222]wow, these guys are really paving the way for the NWOBHM[/color]", I was hearing a fusion of heavy rock and prog (yes, prog - listen to [i]Sinner [/i]again).

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1386864147' post='2305628']
Excellent - I also liked their (brave for a metal/rock band) Joan Baez cover, Diamonds and Rust on the accompanying vinyl EP to Unleashed in the East
[/quote]

Priest were the first proper band I went to see. It was 1980, I was 13, it was Newcastle City Hall on the British Steel tour. A very young Iron Maiden were supporting and for a spotty youth with dreams of Harley-Davidson freedom it was the best night ever. EVER. Still ranks as one of my all time best gigs.

I'm very fond of this version Priest do justice to. There's not many can hold a candle to Halford IMHO

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC7KQPDuDc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIC7KQPDuDc[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1386864147' post='2305628']
I also happened to see them at the Apollo on the UK leg of that door and got front row seats. I touched Rob's boot. Please psycho-analyse that
[/quote]

You should follow a career in soft furnishings.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1387018102' post='2307412']
So ... 128 posts and Aerosmith don't get a single mention.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE[/media]
[/quote]

To be fair, as good as Aerosmith are at writing hit songs, I think most of their albums have a couple of weak tracks that, while not bad unto themselves, detract from the quality of the record as a whole. Toys in the Attic is by far my favourite album by them, but even then there's still two or three tracks that I can never seem to get into when listening to it.

Just my ten cents, I'm sure there's many who'll disagree :)

I think for me it has to be

Megadeth peace sells

Guns n Roses Appetite for destruction

Metallica The Black album

Thin Lizzy Live and dangerous

Rage against the machine self titled
But there are just so many they were just the first few off the top of my head and I grew up with most of them so think they are awesome :)