Why become a member? ×

My year of living, erm, monobassically.

dougal

So, I recently finished a book called "My Year Of Living Biblically" by A J Jacobs.

I am, devote, nay, militant, agnostic, but that's beside the point: it got me thinking.

There was a post on here recently, that said, something along the lines of "people like Jaco / Sheenan / Lemmy / Harris / Claypole are at the stage where they're so used to their instruments, that they are so much a part of them, they play everything they need on a single bass, that I can't imagine them playing anything else: and this is a good thing".

I'm paraphrasing massively, and possibly misreading into the previous thread, but again, beside the point: and it got me thinking.

I don't think I've been mono-bass-allic since I was... 18? And that's 20 years ago. So I think I've decided to try and take the plunge, and put the others away, and live monobassallicy for a year.

One bass. Anyone who has glanced through my feedback knows that would be unusual...

I've always been a "set the amp flat and let it rip" sort of person. So I don't see me suddenly changing my rig of... six years now. So we're all set there.

So, I hear you wonder, loudly, what has this to do with me?!?!

Well, I've still got four basses, despite a recent selling frenzy, and I can't [i]quite [/i]decide which I should go for.

I play in a covers band, mostly wedding / party stuff. I was told by the keyboard player recently that he couldn't hear the difference between any of them.

So, in honour of the religious right in America who would ask 'WWJD'... 'WWBCD'.... (What would basschat do?) votes on a postcard, please.

The nominees:

Sadaowsky M-series RV5:

Ricky 4003

ACG J-Type

Gibbo Thunderbird (not the P... that went to FunkShui...)

The 4th option behind the triangular window, is to buy something [i]complete[/i] new. But I don't know if I'm ready for that yet...

The practical me would say hands down Sadowsky, it's a 5 string and jazz style so immensely versatile! However, I've been just playing my 4003 since the new year, I've done some funk, jazz and so much more with it and it suits my original Rock band and recorded with it and it hasn't let me down in the slightest! It'd been so much more versatile than people give Ricks credit for!

If you are playing mostly covers and functions I'd go along with the majority here and say the Sadowsky. Not only that but being a 5 string it will give you more options anyway. If you use or are likely to use in future the 5th string [b]a lot [/b]then none of the others are actually much use for you are they?

Edited by KevB

My vote is the sadowsky.
I play a five string M24 5 string and its all I need for my bass guitar gigs. That said choose the one that you feel most comfortable with.
I love just using one bass as it keeps it simple, You learn to get the most from it and focus on the music. Of course it has to be the right one for you.
Good luck.

Great thought, and nice thread, but I think you might be missing the point of being a 'one-bass' person.

Which bass do you feel most connected with and least limited by? For example, I had an immense connection to my 4 string jazz of many years, and it was my only bass. But eventually I outgrew it, I was hearing things involving a higher C string that I couldn't do. Deadspots and tonal imperfections bugged me etc.

My current main bass is the only thing I've played since I've got it. It didn't feel like home at first, it took some time, but there are no limits on it (to me at least). It allows me to do everything IIII want to do. It's not universally perfect for everything, but I feel very connected to it now, and I feel without physical limits on it.

So my question is the same to you... I think if you can nail it down to that, then you'll be onto a winner.

Is it worth noting that all the 'named' bass players in your initial post, whilst being associated with one bass, will own numerous basses. Jaco had numerous Jazz basses as well as acoustics, 5strings etc. Sheehan has all sorts. Harris quite a few P-basses. Lemmy, not sure, but probably a bunch of Ricky's.

Marcus Miller has said stick to one bass and really get to know it so it's a part of you, which clearly he's done with his Jazz.......but he still has a bunch of basses including Foderas etc.

So....you know.....do what makes you happy :)

Si